Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: sierra 2's without subs?

Default sierra 2's without subs?

How do the sierra 2's sound without subs for music and HT? I think the towers might just be too big and pricey.

Thx

Default Re: sierra 2's without subs?

They do very well for a medium size bookshelf monitor, but a lot depends on other factors. How large is the room? How loudly do you generally listen? Do you like action movies with big baddabooms? Even some seemingly innocent non-action, drama type movies can have some deep content for atmospheric effect. A sub will help pressurize the room and create a more immersive sonic experience.
    Ed

* Sierra-2EX's W/V2 crossover upgrade
    * (2) Rythmik F12's
    * Parasound Halo P6
    * Audio by Van Alstine DVA-M225 Monoblock Amps
    * MiniDSP 2x4HD For Sub calibration
    *World's Best Cables Canare 4S11 speaker cables

I'll add that even with the Towers, I would suggest a subwoofer, especially for HT.
    -curtis

Thx!!

Quote Originally Posted by Mag_Neato View Post
    They do very well for a medium size bookshelf monitor, but a lot depends on other factors. How large is the room? How loudly do you generally listen? Do you like action movies with big baddabooms? Even some seemingly innocent non-action, drama type movies can have some deep content for atmospheric effect. A sub will help pressurize the room and create a more immersive sonic experience.
    The room is ~18 x15 with one side open into the kitchen. I don't listen to music that loud. TV usually is louder. BUT I hate hate hate the sound of action movie explosions and the awful low end crap they add to sports and commercials!!! I turn down the bass effects on my receiver for HT. For music I use pure mode. I have a marantz 5009.

I guess my real underlying q is whether sierra 2's are enough or whether I need to splurge (and spare the space) for towers.

But I just get no thills from the sub bass domain. And I play drums, electronic drums, and have a shelf full of synths! In my studio I get what I need from good sony headphones and fairly small near fields.
    Last edited by Blingleberry; 08-15-2016 at 02:23 PM.

Question Re: sierra 2's without subs?

Quote Originally Posted by Blingleberry View Post
    Thx!!

The room is ~18 x15 with one side open into the kitchen. I don't listen to music that loud. TV usually is louder. BUT I hate hate hate the sound of action movie explosions and the awful low end crap they add to sports and commercials!!! I turn down the bass effects on my receiver for HT. For music I use pure mode. I have a marantz 5009.

I guess my real underlying q is whether sierra 2's are enough or whether I need to splurge (and spare the space) for towers.

But I just get no thills from the sub bass domain. And I play drums, electronic drums, and have a shelf full of synths! In my studio I get what I need from good sony headphones and fairly small near fields.
    BB,

The Sierra 2's can do it all in that size room! If, as you state, your listening taste for Music is more like "background", then you will appreciate the virtues of these fine monitors full range. However, you may discover that HT audio a challenge if you like to listen close to realistic "theater" levels for movies, etc. You can always add in the future a musical sub (like the Rhythmic L12) to remove And easily control deep "audible bass" from the S2's WITHOUT creating any extra "bass boom" to your HT audio sound. Remember, using a sub, You maintain matching or control volume reduction that will protect the S2's from possibly being over-driven.

On the other hand, just getting the Towers (even the NRT's), can possibly be all you might want in your Music\HT application (an equal cost to S2's + Sub). As far as "space", S2's on stands will take up as much floor real-estate as the floor-standing towers. Maybe, you need to answer the question as to what your plans are for the rest of a Music\HT 5.0 or 5.1 system first?!

Ted
    Sierra RAAL V2 Towers, Axiom EP 500 Sub, Morrow SP7 Grand Reference Speaker Cables, Phillips CD880 XLR Balanced Variable Line Output to Orchard Audio Strakrimson 375w/per ch Stereo Ultra GaNFET Amp..... (Dedicated 2.1 Acoustical Music Listening Room)!

Thx, I actually hate going to the movies these days. Too frigging loud. (and I sometimes play in punk and heavy rock bands). But I really do hate the explosive effects.

Pretty much the rest of the system is in place, although I will eventually upgrade the marantz. But I have a decent NAD cd player and a good Rega TT.

I need a center too but can't fit a horizon in my cabinet. More likely I would get 3 Sierra 2's, with one configured as a ctr.

BTW, I wouldn't say music is background. I've been a musician for over 40 years so more like life is background for music ;-)

Thx!

If you don't care for loud room shaking, pounding bass, I think the Sierra 2's might be just fine for you. They don't have a ton of bass, but the bass that they do have is very tight and has good impact.

Quote Originally Posted by mikesiskav View Post
    If you don't care for loud room shaking, pounding bass, I think the Sierra 2's might be just fine for you. They don't have a ton of bass, but the bass that they do have is very tight and has good impact.
    I have CMT 340s and looking to upgrade. How will the Sierra 2s compare in bass performance?

I actually had a 2.0 system with Sierra 2's before I got my sub and before I got my center. You will enjoy a 2.0 system for movies. I stream HBO from my xbox and it doesnt play 5.1 only 2.0 and I have to walk up to my center S2 and touch the driver to realize theres no sound coming from it. A Sierra 2 phantom center works very well (if the Left and Right are correctly positioned).

I will add that a sub is almost a much for HT applications. I went from TV speakers to 2.0 Sierra 2 and was blown away. Added a center and, although was a nice addition, didnt have the same effect. Like I said, sometimes I have to walk up to center to realize its not actually playing haha.

However, Once you get a sub things will change once again. I have been listening to my system in 4.0 instead of 5.1 due to shipping back my current sub and center and the thing I miss the most is the bass.

Quote Originally Posted by sonicboom View Post
    I have CMT 340s and looking to upgrade. How will the Sierra 2s compare in bass performance?
    That would be an interesting comparison. Looking at the specs, the Sierra 2 is rated down to 41hz, whereas the 340 is rated to 45hz. So the Sierra 2 can play a little deeper when it comes to bass. The 340 is a spectacular bargain. Amazing performance for the money. With the dual woofers, you probably get higher output in the mid bass range with the 340. They're also rated to handle more power and they have a higher sensitivity than the Sierra 2, which means they'll play louder with the same amount of power compared to the Sierra 2.

That being said, the Sierra 2 has a pretty big advantage when it comes to pure sound quality. The Sierra 2 has so many things going for it. Technologically advanced CURV woofer, the incredible RAAL tweeter, and the solid bamboo cabinet all work together to reveal details and nuances in music that just isn't possible with the 340, and most other speakers out there.

All that being said, if you plan to play at high volumes with bass heavy music or movies, you really should have a good quality subwoofer.
    Last edited by mikesiskav; 08-15-2016 at 09:01 PM.