Thread: sierra 2's without subs?

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Thumbs up Re: sierra 2's without subs?

Quote Originally Posted by goldark View Post
    In a related note, for those who use a sub with their Sierra 2's, what subwoofer are you guys using? And how does it blend with the speakers? Do you use any room correction as well?
    GA,

I'm using an Axiom EP500 sub (12" ported-10 yrs old & crossed over at 60hz). It has always been very musical, articulate, has great low bass tonality and blends perfectly well with my Sierra's. I can't detect any severe room modes at my listening positions thus at this time and in my 90sf music-only listening room, I have no need for other room treatments or any equalization. My carpeted flooring, window shades and sofa (for listening party of "2") appears to work for me, contributing to a well balanced subsonic to ultrasonic audio spectrum.

The Sierra's bass is excellent and I can enjoy all of "my" music (jazz, R&B, orchestral, a capella and solo vocals, wind ensembles, etc.) full range w\o a sub. However, there is about 10% of the time that the music demands to be filled in at the bottom octave and a sub capable of going solid to 20hz really sounds natural and feels great!! But overall, even this 12" really is an "overkill" in my 9x10x11ft room as the output on the sub amp I set for proper monitor response balance at only the 6:30 position (adjust from 6 to 6). But when I do replace the Axiom, the Rythmik F12 will be at the top of my list. Once you hear what a well set up musical sub can do, it's hard to go backwards!

Ted
    Last edited by theophile; 08-26-2016 at 10:47 AM.
    Sierra RAAL V2 Towers, Axiom EP 500 Sub, Morrow SP7 Grand Reference Speaker Cables, Phillips CD880 XLR Balanced Variable Line Output to Orchard Audio Strakrimson 375w/per ch Stereo Ultra GaNFET Amp..... (Dedicated 2.1 Acoustical Music Listening Room)!