Thread: 4K UHD Blu-ray Players Thread

Default 4K UHD Blu-ray Players Thread

With televisions having HDR and Dolby Vision / HDR10 standards being set. Receivers with the HDCP 2.2 and 4K 60p 4:4:4 video output standards. Are there any BR players out there that will meet these standards and also cover the audio side by playing DTS:X / Atmos and SACD's / DSD / HDCD's / DVD - Audio discs?

Mods, feel free to move or delete this and point me in the direction of a thread that covers this. SIAP
    Last edited by 14er; 07-29-2016 at 03:13 PM.

Default Re: 4K UHD Blu-ray Players Thread

As far as I know, Samsung's UHD player is one of the only ones that covers all of those bases at a decent price point. The only downside that people list is that the remote is terrible. I think some more players should be coming out soon, but who knows. Most of the 4K stuff out there is still just upscaling, most devices still aren't native 4K, it looks like people are taking a while to catch up. Then there are the gaming consoles like the Xbox One S that will support 4K and UHD, but won't do many of the needed audio standards.

Samsung UBD-K8500 seems to be the best option by far.

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_305BDK8...2183545&awdv=c
    -Alex
    PS4/Nvidia Shield --> Emotiva XMC-1 --> Emotiva XPA-5 --> Ascend Acoustics Sierra Towers and Horizon Center w/ RAAL tweeters (L/C/R), HTM-200 SE (Surrounds), 2x Rythmik F12 subwoofers

Quote Originally Posted by sludgeogre View Post
    As far as I know, Samsung's UHD player is one of the only ones that covers all of those bases at a decent price point. The only downside that people list is that the remote is terrible. I think some more players should be coming out soon, but who knows. Most of the 4K stuff out there is still just upscaling, most devices still aren't native 4K, it looks like people are taking a while to catch up. Then there are the gaming consoles like the Xbox One S that will support 4K and UHD, but won't do many of the needed audio standards.

Samsung UBD-K8500 seems to be the best option by far.

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_305BDK8...2183545&awdv=c
    Thanks again for the response Sludge.

I guess I will have to wait...

Found this about Oppo's 4K UHD Blu-ray. Ugh.
    But the good news is that they are developing an Ultra HD Blu-ray player and hope to have one ready for shipping in time for the holidays. I’m told that they really want to take the time to get it right.

I'm interested to see what the new Oppo has in terms of features. I've been tempted to pull the trigger on both new and used Oppos, but their lack of key streaming options has typically turned me away.

Currently have a patchwork of Apple TV and a Sony BD player but would really like a single unit that covers all the bases.

I am waiting for the new OPPO, I imagine (hope) it will be HDCP compliant with all the streaming options.

I don't really see the point in waiting for Oppo. With how incredible 4K and HDR are, I don't know if I see a need for Darbee, but they'll have to convince me. I'm a huge fan of my Marantz sound processor and plan to upgrade that route, not go with the Sabre DACs with no room correction as Oppo does. Seems reasonable to me to save the money by going with Samsung for UHD Blu Ray and continue to use my awesome Nvidia Shield for all streaming.

Also, since I mentioned the Shield, I have to say that it is the best streaming device ever. It has an incredible processor so there's never any lag, it supports full 4K, and it has EVERY streaming service. The best part is that there is a voice button on the (sold separately) remote. Just click it, speak into the mic in the remote (which has amazing voice recognition somehow, and is WAAAY better than shouting across the room at a PS4 that has AWFUL voice recognition) and it searches ALL of the streaming services you're logged into. Friggn' amazing. Can't recommend it enough.
    -Alex
    PS4/Nvidia Shield --> Emotiva XMC-1 --> Emotiva XPA-5 --> Ascend Acoustics Sierra Towers and Horizon Center w/ RAAL tweeters (L/C/R), HTM-200 SE (Surrounds), 2x Rythmik F12 subwoofers

Good points Sludge. I have a lot of music on discs from mp3 to DVD-A and I was looking for something that can cover all the bases without having to buy separate units, space is a concern. My discs are like vinyl to me, I feel they sound better than streaming but I am warming up to it. DSD and such.

It seems like DAC's need a way to be updated while installed to keep up with the changes. I think there is another big jump in technology coming for them.

Maybe some new UHD 4k BR player can cover the 4k streaming, HDCP, and the audio requirements and come in one package.

Quote Originally Posted by 14er View Post
    Good points Sludge. I have a lot of music on discs from mp3 to DVD-A and I was looking for something that can cover all the bases without having to buy separate units, space is a concern. My discs are like vinyl to me, I feel they sound better than streaming but I am warming up to it. DSD and such.

It seems like DAC's need a way to be updated while installed to keep up with the changes. I think there is another big jump in technology coming for them.

Maybe some new UHD 4k BR player can cover the 4k streaming, HDCP, and the audio requirements and come in one package.
    That is a tough situation, then. I don't use discs at all anymore and my PS4 won't even read CD's (what a pain) so I just rip everything to FLAC and use Plex media server on my computer and listen that way.

It is kind of surprising that only Samsung has released a product that does anything worth mentioning. I think because there are so many standards these days and because they are changing so very fast it is hard for people to come out with a product and feel like they won't have to update it in 6 months to cover some new standard again. Hopefully someone will release something that meets all of your needs soon.
    -Alex

Good suggestions on the Nvidia...I have never played a video game in my life, except for Pong once in a bar. I have a large CD collection and the OPPO is a very good CD player, in fact better than a $5000 one I used to have in the late 90's.

I realize I need to learn to use a good Music server. I use a ROKU 4 for video streaming and a SONOS connect via my Marantz Pre/Pro's DAC for a lot of music.

B.