Thread: Source recommendations

Default Source recommendations

Hi everyone,

I have recently acquired some vintage audio equipment
    - Apt Holman pre amp/ power amp 1
    - Ps audio 200cx / ps audio 5.5 pre amp
    - Forte model 7 mono-blocks ( class A)
    -Cardas S1 Cross-link cables( new)
    For speakers I am using a pair of mission 737 until I move into my new house , which is two weeks away. Then ill be aloud to get my ascend speakers.

My question is what source should I get. The majority of my music is currently streamed off the internet. Other formats are CD, Vinyl and downloaded content. For TV I use IPTV with the Mag 254 box. Is there something that will upscale the streamed music content? I would also like to play tv/ movies through my 2.0-2.1 system? What do you think would suit my needs best?

I have been looking into Oppo 105d and 103d. What are your suggestions/thoughts

Cheers,
    Nik

Default Re: Source recommendations

Hello Nik,
    Oppo units are good, but don't stream as much video sources as other units (ironically like cheap $70 Blue Ray players). They do a nice job of streaming audio from a hard drive, so if music is your primary interest, Oppo might be the way to go.
    I have a ton of stuff in iTunes, including a fair amount of lossless HDTracks HiDef stuff. My set up runs all my computer files from my iMac through Toslink to an external DAC (Schitt Bifrost) and into the optical in on my amp. My streaming follows this path as well.
    Not familiar with your TV set up, but pretty sure it won't upscale.
    It looks like you want a solution that works for both TV / movies and music. What might work best would be a hard drive with your downloaded music, routed through an Oppo, which will also play Blue Ray discs quite well. If you want to stream something that Oppo doesn't support (like Amazon, etc.) pick up a Firestick of Roku.