Thread: Newbie from VA

Default Newbie from VA

Based on recommendations from the AV Rant podcast I ordered a pair of Sierra 1 and a Sierra 1 center, all B-stock. Just received them Monday. I have the satin cherry finish and I can't really find any flaws. MAYBE the hue of one of the speakers doesn't exactly match, but my mind could be playing tricks on me just looking for a flaw. Very pleased considering B-stock saved me about $150. I was very impressed with how well they were packaged. They had to travel across the country in an 18-wheeler.

In my limited time with them so far I am really impressed with their sound quality. The bass quality and response out of these little speakers blows my mind! I am in a fairly big room, roughly 13' x 25' but have large openings to the kitchen and foyer. I sit about 9-10' away. So far I am happy playing them full range without a sub for stereo music listening. The bass is very clean and articulate. I was concerned about how they'd perform in my open room, but not anymore. I have had much bigger speakers, even towers (albeit much lower quality) that do not match the bass output of these little Sierras. I know I'm going on about the bass - I just didn't know it was possible to get bass like that out of a small speaker. The mids and highs sound really good too. I'm finding out how much the quality of the source material matters. I need to do more listening and tweaking before I give a detailed opinion on the mids, highs and home theater content.

Do the speakers grill alter the sound any? I prefer to leave them off and not cover any of the cherry finish.

Also, I've been perusing the forum the last couple days and I shocked that someone in Dave's position responds to people's questions and factors in their input with future products. I really enjoyed going through the thread on the Sierra Sats and seeing how he gives updates and listens to feedback. I have never bought a product before where I have had access to upper management and/or engineers and designers. Kudos!

Default Re: Newbie from VA

Quote Originally Posted by mattyhoops View Post
    Based on recommendations from the AV Rant podcast I ordered a pair of Sierra 1 and a Sierra 1 center, all B-stock. Just received them Monday. I have the satin cherry finish and I can't really find any flaws. MAYBE the hue of one of the speakers doesn't exactly match, but my mind could be playing tricks on me just looking for a flaw. Very pleased considering B-stock saved me about $150. I was very impressed with how well they were packaged. They had to travel across the country in an 18-wheeler.

In my limited time with them so far I am really impressed with their sound quality. The bass quality and response out of these little speakers blows my mind! I am in a fairly big room, roughly 13' x 25' but have large openings to the kitchen and foyer. I sit about 9-10' away. So far I am happy playing them full range without a sub for stereo music listening. The bass is very clean and articulate. I was concerned about how they'd perform in my open room, but not anymore. I have had much bigger speakers, even towers (albeit much lower quality) that do not match the bass output of these little Sierras. I know I'm going on about the bass - I just didn't know it was possible to get bass like that out of a small speaker. The mids and highs sound really good too. I'm finding out how much the quality of the source material matters. I need to do more listening and tweaking before I give a detailed opinion on the mids, highs and home theater content.

Do the speakers grill alter the sound any? I prefer to leave them off and not cover any of the cherry finish.

Also, I've been perusing the forum the last couple days and I shocked that someone in Dave's position responds to people's questions and factors in their input with future products. I really enjoyed going through the thread on the Sierra Sats and seeing how he gives updates and listens to feedback. I have never bought a product before where I have had access to upper management and/or engineers and designers. Kudos!
    Hi Mattyhoops and welcome to our forum. I am happy to hear that you are enjoying the Sierra-1 and welcome to the world of high end audio The grilles will pad down the tweeter response about 1dB starting at about 15kHz. It would be nearly impossible for any human to hear the change in the response - but it is possible.

Thanks for the nice comments and enjoy!!
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com

Thanks Dave! I was having some issues with set up and the lowly Audyssey 2EQ. Now with Audyssey turned off I'm good to go.

Love to be able to hear the Sierra 2's and/or Sierra towers. If anyone in VA has them let me know.

Sierra 1's are terrific speakers. The detail on the 2's with the RAAL tweeters is a noticeable difference. I listened to both in the AA showroom and bit the bullet on the 2's.
    I would have been happy with the 1's, and frankly planned to buy them, but once Dave set up the 2's there was no turning back!

Quote Originally Posted by Jaybeez View Post
    Sierra 1's are terrific speakers. The detail on the 2's with the RAAL tweeters is a noticeable difference. I listened to both in the AA showroom and bit the bullet on the 2's.
    I would have been happy with the 1's, and frankly planned to buy them, but once Dave set up the 2's there was no turning back!
    Jaybeez, yeah I'm happy with the 1's. I'm just curious what better sounds like! Like if someone buys a BMW 3 series. They would likely be curious as to what the BMW 5 series is like. It's human nature to keep wanting better