Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Front Left and Right Sierra 2s with ribbon Horizon center

Default Re: Front Left and Right Sierra 2s with ribbon Horizon center

Quote Originally Posted by qwknuf6 View Post
    Do the Sierra 2s and center Horizon blend well ?
    Haven't heard them together, but my Sierra Towers and Horizon Center even blend really well with my HTM 200 SE speakers, so it would be very easy to imagine the Sierra 2 and Horizon blending well together as they use similar parts. Ascend speakers are all voiced to be very neutral, so I think most of them sound awesome together.
    -Alex
    PS4/Nvidia Shield --> Emotiva XMC-1 --> Emotiva XPA-5 --> Ascend Acoustics Sierra Towers and Horizon Center w/ RAAL tweeters (L/C/R), HTM-200 SE (Surrounds), 2x Rythmik F12 subwoofers

Do the Sierra 2s and center Horizon blend well ?
    Check out the link I gave above. Rob H. the co-Host of AVRant owns both speakers and takes several minutes going into the differences between the Sierra 2 and the Horizon and how well they match. I think you will get an idea of the differences between the two speakers and what application to use which speakers across the front.

Small room ,11x11' with 8 foot ceiling , the center speaker will be in a cabinet so the front porting of the Horizon will work out better .
    In this small of a room you definitely don't need the Horizon speaker for output. I think you should save your money to get the rest of your speakers and a pair of good subwoofers. As far as the front porting concern, you might be okay, if there is some breathing room in the cabinet. If not then the Horizon might make sense. Check out the following link about placing the center speaker in a cabinent, especially post number 10:

http://forum.ascendacoustics.com/sho...t-wide-shelves

Or, since you have a small room size, if you wait a couple months for the Sierra Sats to be finished, then you could definitely do three of them across the front. It might save you a little money and they are smaller and easier to place and front ported. Actually, if I was in this room, I would go with the Sierra Sats. If you do think you might move them at some point to a larger room, then go with Sierra 2s. But, the Sats will be much easier to place.
    Last edited by N Boros; 07-11-2016 at 09:23 AM.

Small room ,11x11' with 8 foot ceiling , the center speaker will be in a cabinet so the front porting of the Horizon will work out better .
    That is a fairly small room. You won't *need* the added output capability of the Horizon (although you may *want* it!). What receiver are you going to use? And again, mostly music or TV/movies? And what subwoofers if any?

My Sierra-2' s blend perfectly with my Horizon. Like Beave said, you don't need the Horizon for your small room, but it my be something you need to have.

Quote Originally Posted by Beave View Post
    That is a fairly small room. You won't *need* the added output capability of the Horizon (although you may *want* it!). What receiver are you going to use? And again, mostly music or TV/movies? And what subwoofers if any?
    I have Pioneer AVR, about a 2012 model , 1- 12" Rythmik Subwoofer , 2 - Klipsch rs-42 surround speakers , room is used to 50% movies and 50% music .
    Bunch of speakers

My Sierra 2s showed up today , Front Left and Right . I must say I am very happy with the sound , I love the Raal ribbon tweets , I had a pair of Salk HT2-TLs with Raals and sold them. The Sierra 2s are replacing Sierra 1 NRTs , I am going to go with the Raal Horizon for my center ,can't wait .
    Bunch of speakers

My Sierra 2s showed up today , Front Left and Right . I must say I am very happy with the sound , I love the Raal ribbon tweets , I had a pair of Salk HT2-TLs with Raals and sold them. The Sierra 2s are replacing Sierra 1 NRTs , I am going to go with the Raal Horizon for my center ,can't wait .
    Congrats! Glad you love them and I'm sure you will only grow to appreciate them more!
    Video: JVC RS540 w/Lens & 122" 2.35:1 CIH / HDFury Vertex 2 w/Dolby Vision
    Audio: Marantz SR7010 / XPA-3 / UPA-7 Sources: Nvidia Shield / Xbox One
    7. Ascend Acoustics Sierra-2 Ex (L R C), Ascend Acoustics HTM-200SE (side & rear)
    2. Subs: SVS PC-2000 & eD A3-300 12" / Sensory: Aura Pro Bass Shakers
    4 HTM-200SE for Atmos/DTS:X
    Theater Pics / Desktop

That is awesome, I had always wanted a pair of Salk HT2-TLs as they look killer and are made like tanks, but that super low sensitivity is daunting, I didn't want to pay for the kind of watts those guys need to sing, plus the Sierra Towers are a much, much bigger value. What was it about the Salk speakers that you don't like that the Sierra speakers do better?
    -Alex
    PS4/Nvidia Shield --> Emotiva XMC-1 --> Emotiva XPA-5 --> Ascend Acoustics Sierra Towers and Horizon Center w/ RAAL tweeters (L/C/R), HTM-200 SE (Surrounds), 2x Rythmik F12 subwoofers

Quote Originally Posted by sludgeogre View Post
    That is awesome, I had always wanted a pair of Salk HT2-TLs as they look killer and are made like tanks, but that super low sensitivity is daunting, I didn't want to pay for the kind of watts those guys need to sing, plus the Sierra Towers are a much, much bigger value. What was it about the Salk speakers that you don't like that the Sierra speakers do better?
    I have a small theater room with the sierra 2s , a 65 OLED display , a 12" subwoofer and 2 surrounds , my main room had the Salk HT2-TL , I sold the HT2s and purchased Salk Exotic 3s, I have a 15" rythmik sub and ascend 170s for surround duty in the main room .
    Bunch of speakers

how does sierra 2 compare to salk ht2 for music ? i know both are at totally different price range but just curious in comparison.