Thread: Sierra Tower RAAL Upgrade

Default Sierra Tower RAAL Upgrade

I have been offered a good deal on a pair of Sierra Towers w/NRT dome tweeter. I just wanted to check to see if I could order the RAAL ribbon tweeters to upgrade them myself even though I was not the original purchaser.

Also, is a different crossover used with the RAAL tweeters or is the tweeter itself the only difference?

Thanks in advance!

Default Re: Sierra Tower RAAL Upgrade

Quote Originally Posted by vanstevens View Post
    I have been offered a good deal on a pair of Sierra Towers w/NRT dome tweeter. I just wanted to check to see if I could order the RAAL ribbon tweeters to upgrade them myself even though I was not the original purchaser.

Also, is a different crossover used with the RAAL tweeters or is the tweeter itself the only difference?

Thanks in advance!
    It's a crossover and tweeter change...and not
    A DIY job...the cabinet needs to be modified.
    -curtis

Thanks in advance!
    My understanding was that it was highly recommended that you send the towers in to be modified but if you have the tools and the skills you could do it yourself. Perhaps that changed...Best to call or send an PM to Dave.
    Nate

I would be fine sending them in to have it done. To clarify, when I said 'to upgrade them myself' I don't mean DIY. I mean for me to have it done as opposed to him having it done. I just want to make sure that they will take them from me since I would not be the original buyer.

Thanks in advance!
    VS,

Welcome to AA!

I hope you are planning to give the NrT Towers a "good listen" first, as in Your room and with Your musical taste, they may well be the end all of expected performance!

Good luck,

Ted
    Sierra RAAL V2 Towers, Axiom EP 500 Sub, Morrow SP7 Grand Reference Speaker Cables, Phillips CD880 XLR Balanced Variable Line Output to Orchard Audio Strakrimson 375w/per ch Stereo Ultra GaNFET Amp..... (Dedicated 2.1 Acoustical Music Listening Room)!

I auditioned these recently with the NrT's at a friends home. I was sold on the sound and ordered the Sierra Towers with the NrT's. So if you haven't already, give them a good listen first and then decide. I was not convinced that my ears would hear the difference of the RAAL. I may be wrong and have to upgrade later, but for now I am good with the NrT tweeter. Cannot wait for them to arrive.

Thanks in advance!
    The conversion over to the RAAL version of the tower is quite a bit of work and difficult for someone to do themselves. Letting us do the conversion is the best option and yes, we do offer this service

Simply give us a call or send me a PM and I would be happy to discuss with you.
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com