Thread: HTM 200 for in-ceiling Atmos?

Default HTM 200 for in-ceiling Atmos?

In my basement, the floor to ceiling height is only about 7' 2" to the drop ceiling. I might be able to move the drop ceiling up slightly to get it around 7' 6". I would really like to do an Atmos setup with Ascend speakers for the main 7 surround speakers and two pairs of top speakers: top front and top rears. So that I don't lose any more floor to ceiling distance I need to go with an in-ceiling speaker. I was originally thinking of going with some NHT in-ceiling speakers since they have similar design goals as Ascend. However, just today I was thinking about try to suspend the HTM 200s between two ceiling joists and cut a hole in the drop ceiling panels so that the speakers are nearly flush mounted with the ceiling or hanging down an inch or so.

Obviously the question I have is, will this be okay sound quality-wise? The HTM 200s weren't designed for this. Being a sealed design there is no port to be concerned with, but is there anything else I should do to make them sound good. Or would it be better to just go with an in-ceiling speaker? The only reason I am considering this is to save a little bit of money and it would be nice it is was a better sonic match all the way around.
    Last edited by N Boros; 06-09-2016 at 03:03 PM.

Default Re: HTM 200 for in-ceiling Atmos?

Quote Originally Posted by N Boros View Post
    In my basement, the floor to ceiling height is only about 7' 2" to the drop ceiling. I might be able to move the drop ceiling up slightly to get it around 7' 6". I would really like to do an Atmos setup with Ascend speakers for the main 7 surround speakers and two pairs of top speakers: top front and top rears. So that I don't lose any more floor to ceiling distance I need to go with an in-ceiling speaker. I was originally thinking of going with some NHT in-ceiling speakers since they have similar design goals as Ascend. However, just today I was thinking about try to suspend the HTM 200s between two ceiling joists and cut a hole in the drop ceiling panels so that the speakers are nearly flush mounted with the ceiling or hanging down an inch or so.

Obviously the question I have is, will this be okay sound quality-wise? The HTM 200s weren't designed for this. Being a sealed design there is no port to be concerned with, but is there anything else I should do to make them sound good. Or would it be better to just go with an in-ceiling speaker? The only reason I am considering this is to save a little bit of money and it would be nice it is was a better sonic match all the way around.
    A couple of guys have already done this and really love it, so I think you should do it. The HTM-200 SE has incredibly wide dispersion and that is what Atmos asks for. I plan on using them as well, but I'm just going to use an Omni mount on the ceiling and aim them slightly at the MLP.

TKNice did a fantastic job with his setup and did exactly what you mentioned.

http://forum.ascendacoustics.com/sho...4170#post54170
    -Alex
    PS4/Nvidia Shield --> Emotiva XMC-1 --> Emotiva XPA-5 --> Ascend Acoustics Sierra Towers and Horizon Center w/ RAAL tweeters (L/C/R), HTM-200 SE (Surrounds), 2x Rythmik F12 subwoofers