Thread: Ceiling mount CMT-340

Default Ceiling mount CMT-340

I'm looking for ideas to hang a cmt 340 center from the ceiling. Due to projection screen, drapery rod, and an arched window, wall mount is not possible, so the only option is ceiling, and really horizontal. I can't seem to find something to fit the bill. At this point even considering a non inverted projector mount, but hoping there.'s something else available.

Default Re: Ceiling mount CMT-340

Hang a platform from the ceiling and put the CMT-340SE on it.
    -curtis

Interesting to find this thread.. I was actually considering the same thing but for the L and R channels (mounted horizontally) and leaving the C sitting on the media shelf below the screen. Looking forward to any other input provided here.

Quote Originally Posted by Moebius View Post
    I'm looking for ideas to hang a cmt 340 center from the ceiling. Due to projection screen, drapery rod, and an arched window, wall mount is not possible, so the only option is ceiling, and really horizontal. I can't seem to find something to fit the bill. At this point even considering a non inverted projector mount, but hoping there.'s something else available.
    Am I correct in assuming you wish to hang the 340's from the ceiling oriented horizontally? If you are OK with screwing directly into the cabinet, there are many options...
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com

Quote Originally Posted by davef View Post
    Am I correct in assuming you wish to hang the 340's from the ceiling oriented horizontally? If you are OK with screwing directly into the cabinet, there are many options...
    I've been wondering about screwing directly into the cabinet. That option occurred to me as the easiest, but wasn't sure what that would do to the speaker itself, or what the best size hook to use would be.

I've been working on an idea of hanging a shelf from the ceiling with eye hooks and steel cable, but I'm now running into a joist problem. These speakers are not featherweights by any stretch of the imagination, and I have only 1 joist in the area I need to hang (just above a large window, last joist before the wall). I considered anchors, but really not cozy on that thought with a 24lb speaker plus shelf and hardware. I know shared it's only about 8 lbs per hook, but that still scares me in a drywall anchor, especially when a fall would likely be catastrophic.

The shelf seems to be the best option, it's just a matter of how best to anchor the rear hooks (front hits the joist just right).

The speakers are about 10 pounds each, it's 21 pounds for shipping a pair, so you should be fine.
    -Alex
    PS4/Nvidia Shield --> Emotiva XMC-1 --> Emotiva XPA-5 --> Ascend Acoustics Sierra Towers and Horizon Center w/ RAAL tweeters (L/C/R), HTM-200 SE (Surrounds), 2x Rythmik F12 subwoofers

Quote Originally Posted by sludgeogre View Post
    The speakers are about 10 pounds each, it's 21 pounds for shipping a pair, so you should be fine.
    The 340's? They are 26 lbs each.
    -curtis

Quote Originally Posted by Vipor View Post
    Interesting to find this thread.. I was actually considering the same thing but for the L and R channels (mounted horizontally) and leaving the C sitting on the media shelf below the screen. Looking forward to any other input provided here.
    For what it's worth, I ended up with a ceiling shelf. More specifically a hybrid of a ceiling and wall shelf. Given the position I wanted, I only had 1 joist available before the wall, I used eye bolts and chain into a piece of plywood (painted to match color scheme) combined with a couple of L brackets at the wall. Managed to get a little down angle on the shelf, but not so much to have any risk of slipping, and I might use a little foam stripping on the board to raise the back up just a tad more to help angle the speaker to the seating positions. Not the most glamorous solution, but since it will be incorporated into my soffit skin when finished, should be pretty invisible.