Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: (3x Horizon RAAL) vs. (Sierra 2 RAAL + Horizon RAAL)

Default Re: (3x Horizon RAAL) vs. (Sierra 2 RAAL + Horizon RAAL)

So I heard the Horizon is a 2 channel setup at Ascend's offices....non-RAAL.

They sound great and do seem to have more slam than the Towers because of the front porting. BTW, midbass slam is in the the frequency area of around 60hz/80hz-120hz/150hz. So it is because of the front slot porting and woofers, not the dedicated midrange.

They don't quite image as well because of the orientation of the front baffle being horizontal.
    -curtis

Quote Originally Posted by curtis View Post
    So I heard the Horizon is a 2 channel setup at Ascend's offices....non-RAAL.

They sound great and do seem to have more slam than the Towers because of the front porting. BTW, midbass slam is in the the frequency area of around 60hz/80hz-120hz/150hz. So it is because of the front slot porting and woofers, not the dedicated midrange.

They don't quite image as well because of the orientation of the front baffle being horizontal.
    Nice, makes sense. Thank you for correcting me, totally mixing up my terminology. Derp.

So a mid that can play more efficiently because it's separate won't add to the slam?

If the horizontal baffle won't image as well (I'm assuming because of diffraction), then would it be better to get the tweeters rotated for mains duty?

Quote Originally Posted by TheHorizon View Post
    So a mid that can play more efficiently because it's separate won't add to the slam?

If the horizontal baffle won't image as well (I'm assuming because of diffraction), then would it be better to get the tweeters rotated for mains duty?
    The mid doesn't cover those slam frequencies. Midrange frequencies are around 500hz to 1khz or so there abouts.

Yes, you are right about diffraction/reflection. The tweeters are already rotated to the proper orientation when the speakers are horizontal. Imaging is not bad...it is still good, it is just that in the Tower, it is exceptional...it is an Ascend hallmark on all their speakers.
    -curtis

The mid doesn't cover those slam frequencies. Midrange frequencies are around 500hz to 1khz or so there abouts.

Yes, you are right about diffraction/reflection. The tweeters are already rotated to the proper orientation when the speakers are horizontal. Imaging is not bad...it is still good, it is just that in the Tower, it is exceptional...it is an Ascend hallmark on all their speakers.
    Cool. Would it be ideal to get Horizons for mains and orient them vertically with rotated tweeters?

Cool. Would it be ideal to get Horizons for mains and orient them vertically with rotated tweeters?
    Ideal in what regard? I would just get the Towers.
    -curtis

Ideal in what regard? I would just get the Towers.
    He is limited by placement and was interested in putting the speakers nearly against the wall, so there's a lot of tradeoffs to think of here.

One of the AVRant podcast guys got the custom slim versions of the Horizon and oriented two of them vertically due to the same space constraints.

Quote Originally Posted by sludgeogre View Post
    He is limited by placement and was interested in putting the speakers nearly against the wall, so there's a lot of tradeoffs to think of here.

One of the AVRant podcast guys got the custom slim versions of the Horizon and oriented two of them vertically due to the same space constraints.
    Got it.
    The Horizon placed vertically would then not have the ideal midrange/tweeter arrangement, which is why FirstReflect (I think it was him) got the custom slim version made.
    -curtis

Quote Originally Posted by sludgeogre View Post

Got it.
    The Horizon placed vertically would then not have the ideal midrange/tweeter arrangement, which is why FirstReflect (I think it was him) got the custom slim version made.
    Thanks sludgeorge and Curtis. Yes, I have a space issue (13x12) so I want to put the fronts as close to the front wall as possible, hence the front-firing port of the Horizon being attractive.

And yes, FirstReflect was the one who got the custom Horizons. Just saw them in the photos thread.

What would be the trade off of rotating the ribbon for a vertical orientation? It should gain better dispersion, but would it suffer combing problems or something?

What would be the trade off of rotating the ribbon for a vertical orientation? It should gain better dispersion, but would it suffer combing problems or something?
    The RAAL should always be vertical regardless of cabinet orientation...are you seeing it otherwise in a photo somewhere?
    No combing issues.
    -curtis