Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Ascend Sierra Tower (Raal) vs Revel F208

Default Ascend Sierra Tower (Raal) vs Revel F208

Has anyone by chance heard these two speakers side by side or otherwise owned the Revel F208 (or F206)? I would really love to read a comparison of the two from someone who has heard and/or owned or auditioned both. Thanks.

Default Re: Ascend Sierra Tower (Raal) vs Revel F208

You are really comparing apples to oranges. The Revel's cost anywhere from $1300-$3000 more depending on if you order the RAAL in the Sierras and what kind of deal you can get on the Revel's.
    I will say, I spent several hours listening to the Revel F208's and really liked them. In the end it will come down to your personal preference and budget.

The deal would actually mean they would be cheaper than the Sierras. Your comment is helpful, though. I wonder if the HTM-200 SEs would be good for surrounds even if I went with the Revels.

F208's for under $2700? I hate to say it but, that would be one hell of a deal IMO.
    When I auditioned the Revel F208's we ran them with a McIntosh 3ch. I don't remember the model. IMO, the Sierra Towers seem to me to be a more neutral speaker. This is going from memory, which, anyone will tell you isn't accurate. I run my Sierrra's with an Emotiva XPA2. There is likely some tonal difference due to amps. That also, is debatable.
    In the end, you are going to have to listen to both and make a decision based on what you feel is more to your liking. If it's at all possible, in your own room, with your music source.
    You getting the Revel's used?

As far as surrounds go. There is very little content going to surrounds with movies. Music may be another matter. This does bring up another question. What does Revel offer for center channel that is tonally matched to the 208's? That's the caveat.

Quote Originally Posted by loonytunes View Post
    F208's for under $2700? I hate to say it but, that would be one hell of a deal IMO.
    When I auditioned the Revel F208's we ran them with a McIntosh 3ch. I don't remember the model. IMO, the Sierra Towers seem to me to be a more neutral speaker. This is going from memory, which, anyone will tell you isn't accurate. I run my Sierrra's with an Emotiva XPA2. There is likely some tonal difference due to amps. That also, is debatable.
    In the end, you are going to have to listen to both and make a decision based on what you feel is more to your liking. If it's at all possible, in your own room, with your music source.
    You getting the Revel's used?
    I am actually getting the Revel's new, believe it or not. I looked up the Emotiva XPA2. That's a pretty impressive amplifier. How do you run that for movies or TV? I ordered a Marantz SR7010, but the power on that Emotiva is impressive. It makes me wonder if I couldn't later use the Emotiva to power the fronts and let the Marantz handle the rest, as well as the processing, etc.?

The center is the C208, which is timbre matched and huge. It is a 3-way, like the Horizon, only with an aluminum tweeter (like in the towers). From what I could tell, it was pretty clear, though I was not comparing it to the Horizon, obviously.

I am currently just running in 2ch mode. Im running a Sherbourn PT-7030 pre/pro. The XPA Gen 2 is running the towers. I have an XPA Gen 3 configured in 3ch still in the box waiting for Dave to set an order date on the new Sats. UPS should be rolling up with my Horizon center any day.
    A lot of people run an amp on LR mains for music and use receiver to power the rest for movies. Marantz is a great receiver. I have often wondered tho if amping the front stage, LCR, isnt a better way to go. Once you level match everything, Im not sure it matters tho.

I think Dave said somewhere that you would need to move up to the Ultima2 for a better comparison.

Quote Originally Posted by loonytunes View Post
    A lot of people run an amp on LR mains for music and use receiver to power the rest for movies. Marantz is a great receiver. I have often wondered tho if amping the front stage, LCR, isnt a better way to go. Once you level match everything, Im not sure it matters tho.
    In my opinion it really depends on how loud you listen and how much more power you need, and it highly depends on the speakers being used. I've heard systems that definitely lacked dynamics because of an underpowered AVR, and those systems would benefit greatly from a separate amp, but the Sierra speakers aren't too hard to power. I have probably more than 40% headroom on my amp. I can't turn my speakers past 60% of volume without getting to ear bleeding levels, this is with my Emotiva XPA-5 amp. Audyssey sets all of my speakers to at least -9.0 dB to give me a little more room on my preamp volume, so I can get it to about 70-75 now at my maximum tolerable volume.