Thread: Magnetic Grills

Default Magnetic Grills

Hi all. Now that Dave's cabinet maker has perfected introducing magnetic grills on the Sats, I was wondering if we might see this feature included on the other established speakers in the line up. I've got my eye on some new Sierra 1's later this year and would love for them to have the magnets.

Any thoughts?

Thumbs up Re: Magnetic Grills

Quote Originally Posted by doctors11 View Post
    Hi all. Now that Dave's cabinet maker has perfected introducing magnetic grills on the Sats, I was wondering if we might see this feature included on the other established speakers in the line up. I've got my eye on some new Sierra 1's later this year and would love for them to have the magnets.

Any thoughts?
    I'll soon be getting Piano Black Sierra-2's and would also be interested in the clean looking cabinet lines and ease of removal\reinstalled grills that a magnetic attachment would offer. I'd even be willing to pay extra for that feature!!!

Ted
    Sierra RAAL V2 Towers, Axiom EP 500 Sub, Morrow SP7 Grand Reference Speaker Cables, Phillips CD880 XLR Balanced Variable Line Output to Orchard Audio Strakrimson 375w/per ch Stereo Ultra GaNFET Amp..... (Dedicated 2.1 Acoustical Music Listening Room)!

Default Re: Magnetic Grills

Quote Originally Posted by doctors11 View Post

Any thoughts?
    With the towers and US built Sierra-1/Sierra-2 cabinets, it is a bit more complicated as we need to redesign the grilles to add some additional bracing. Reason being is that when installed on a cabinet with grille posts, these posts add needed support to the grille itself. With magnets, there is no support of the grille frame.

This is something we will start looking into, based upon how well the solution works for the sats. At a minimum, implementing this will be quite a ways off.

Quote Originally Posted by theophile View Post
    I'll soon be getting Piano Black Sierra-2's and would also be interested in the clean looking cabinet lines and ease of removal\reinstalled grills that a magnetic attachment would offer. I'd even be willing to pay extra for that feature!!!

Ted
    All Piano Black cabinets are built at our overseas cabinet maker. I am not sure if they have the capability to implement this in the same method we have with our local cabinet maker. It is something we will certainly investigate but it will take time.
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com

Thanks for your response Dave. I never thought about the re engineering needed on the grills to make them sufficiently strong without the posts. Makes sense though. Please keep us posted on any further developments along these lines. And for the record I love reading through your forums. Can't wait to pull the trigger on my first pair. (Putting my youngest through college eats up a lot of "Ascend" $...worth it though) Good things come to those who wait.

Dan
    Last edited by doctors11; 05-27-2016 at 08:20 AM.

I would be all over a pair of Sierra-2's with magnetic grills.

No rush, I can wait.

PS: Different, but related topic.... no black satin bamboo on Sierra-2's? ?

Quote Originally Posted by SGCSG1 View Post
    I would be all over a pair of Sierra-2's with magnetic grills.

No rush, I can wait.

PS: Different, but related topic.... no black satin bamboo on Sierra-2's? ?
    We have Sierra-2 available in all of the same finishes as the towers and horizons, including the satin black bamboo Simply give us a call or send an email...
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com