Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Surround Suggestions

Default Re: Surround Suggestions

Quote Originally Posted by sludgeogre View Post
    The wide dispersion of the HTM-200 SE is really incredible, isn't it? I don't even have rear surrounds and I'm already amazed at how much better the experience is with them versus my old surrounds (Klipsch R-15M). I watched Star Wars: The Force Awakens again last night and the battle scenes are so much more alive and real sounding. Instead of having sound funneled right into my ear from those horns, it's all around, above and below. Really thrilling performance for such a cheap speaker.
    I know. Dave is truly one of the good guys in this industry to offer such high performance at such affordable prices.

I remember first realizing the Jedi powers of the 200s when watching Master and Commander. There was a scene where they were below deck in battle and you could hear the people above deck running around. They truly sounded like they were running above me and I could track the steps from point a to point b. I don't know of a speaker that can be so diffuse when needed yet image so well at the same time.

The 200s are truly a reference front firing surround monitor. If the surround field doesn't sound realistic, it's the mix.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny_Mac_III View Post
    I know. Dave is truly one of the good guys in this industry to offer such high performance at such affordable prices.

I remember first realizing the Jedi powers of the 200s when watching Master and Commander. There was a scene where they were below deck in battle and you could hear the people above deck running around. They truly sounded like they were running above me and I could track the steps from point a to point b. I don't know of a speaker that can be so diffuse when needed yet image so well at the same time.

The 200s are truly a reference front firing surround monitor. If the surround field doesn't sound realistic, it's the mix.
    It is crazy that you bring this up, because that is the very scene I watched at Aperion's office that made me think that the Verus Grands had a bigger soundstage, well it was the awful Klipsch speakers that were collapsing my soundstage, because once I put the HTM-200 SE's in there, the soundstage got taller all of the sudden. I should have ordered them from the start instead of waiting for the Sats. Glad I pulled the trigger. They'll make great desktop speakers once I get the Sats.
    -Alex
    PS4/Nvidia Shield --> Emotiva XMC-1 --> Emotiva XPA-5 --> Ascend Acoustics Sierra Towers and Horizon Center w/ RAAL tweeters (L/C/R), HTM-200 SE (Surrounds), 2x Rythmik F12 subwoofers

It is great that you are all enjoying the 200's. They really don't get much attention and this is by my own design as I feel I made a huge mistake with these speakers by pricing them so low that we make next to nothing on them. These should really be ~$400/pr, maybe even more..
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com

Quote Originally Posted by davef View Post
    It is great that you are all enjoying the 200's. They really don't get much attention and this is by my own design as I feel I made a huge mistake with these speakers by pricing them so low that we make next to nothing on them. These should really be ~$400/pr, maybe even more..
    Hi Dave! I don't think I followed up with you, but I'm the guy who mounted 4 200's in his ceiling for Atmos/DTS:X. I posted pictures in another thread around here somewhere.

So I just wanted to say it all worked out great and they sound fantastic! I couldn't be happier with them and now I need to decide if it really makes sense to match my Sierra 2's with the Sierra Sats as side surrounds, or just go with the HTM-200's since I'll probably replace my surround backs with HTM-200's as well.

Do you have any thoughts on this? I guess the questions is.. are the side surrounds important enough in the mix to notice a difference with the Sierra Sats surrounded (pun intended) by HTM-200's?

Tom
    Video: JVC RS540 w/Lens & 122" 2.35:1 CIH / HDFury Vertex 2 w/Dolby Vision
    Audio: Marantz SR7010 / XPA-3 / UPA-7 Sources: Nvidia Shield / Xbox One
    7. Ascend Acoustics Sierra-2 Ex (L R C), Ascend Acoustics HTM-200SE (side & rear)
    2. Subs: SVS PC-2000 & eD A3-300 12" / Sensory: Aura Pro Bass Shakers
    4 HTM-200SE for Atmos/DTS:X
    Theater Pics / Desktop

Quote Originally Posted by davef View Post
    I think more pictures of them, especially with some kind of size comparison, would help as well. They are much bigger than they seem on the site, especially the tweeter. I wish I could give the Ascend site a makeover some days.

Also, I would happily pay $400 per pair for the HTM-200 SE's. I think they should be priced higher for sure. These blow away every other surround speaker I've heard. It sounds even wider than a Dipole speaker, it doesn't even make sense.
    -Alex
    PS4/Nvidia Shield --> Emotiva XMC-1 --> Emotiva XPA-5 --> Ascend Acoustics Sierra Towers and Horizon Center w/ RAAL tweeters (L/C/R), HTM-200 SE (Surrounds), 2x Rythmik F12 subwoofers

Quote Originally Posted by tknice View Post
    Hi Dave! I don't think I followed up with you, but I'm the guy who mounted 4 200's in his ceiling for Atmos/DTS:X. I posted pictures in another thread around here somewhere.

So I just wanted to say it all worked out great and they sound fantastic! I couldn't be happier with them and now I need to decide if it really makes sense to match my Sierra 2's with the Sierra Sats as side surrounds, or just go with the HTM-200's since I'll probably replace my surround backs with HTM-200's as well.

Do you have any thoughts on this? I guess the questions is.. are the side surrounds important enough in the mix to notice a difference with the Sierra Sats surrounded (pun intended) by HTM-200's?

Tom
    Hi Tom,

I am happy that everything worked out so well. Your theater is truly incredible and I keep a link of your pictures on my desktop.

I would say the side surrounds are the most important, and the even wider dispersion of the Sat's would be worthwhile - but you can always try the 200's in that position and go from there...
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com

Quote Originally Posted by sludgeogre View Post
    Fantastic! I really think you made the right decision for the reasons you listed. Please post your thoughts once you fire up your new speakers!
    Just received everything this afternoon. Spent the afternoon setting the system up, ran Audessy, and I can only say being impressed is an understatement. Everything sounds great, and my wife was even impressed (and that isnt easy to do!)

One movie I use to "test" things is the remake of the "Flight of the Phoenix". Those HTM 200's were amazing for the surrounds. I cant say enough about the entire system. The sub makes the house shake, and the cat run.

and btw, the money Ascend spends on packaging must be huge. Quite impressive to say the least. And my UPS guys wants to come by and listen to the system!

I'm a happy camper!

Fantastic! Glad that everything has worked out for you. That feeling of being totally surrounded by crisp, clear sound is unreal, especially when you pay as little as you do with Ascend speakers. I've heard surround speakers costing many times more what the HTM 200's do and sound far, far worse. Enjoy never having to go to a movie theater ever again!

Agreed on the packaging as well. I have bought speakers costing more than the HTM 200's that were packaged like any other cheap electronics, but the HTM 200 packaging is intense, double boxed with those cardboad backed foam pads on each speaker. Really well done.
    -Alex