Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Surround Suggestions

Default Surround Suggestions

New here, and planning to place an order soon, but still need some suggestions on my speaker selections.

Here is the set up: Bonus room above garage, 16' x 15' with 8' ceilings. Sitting along the 16' wall, with about 18" from back of seating to wall.

Home theatre, 90%, remainder, music.

Receiver: Denon S920W

Plan on purchasing:
    CMT-340 SE, LR
    CMT-340 SE, Center
    LV12R Subwoofer

My concern is with the surrounds, and with my room do I/should I use 5.1 or 7.1? With my old (very old), home theatre in a box, I used a 6.1 setup.
    Here is what I am considering:

Surrounds:
    HTM-200 SE, Surround LR , and Back LR

Or

HTM-200 SE Surround LR only

or

CMB-170 SE, Surround LR, and HTM-200 SE Back L,R

or

CMB-170 SE ,Surround LR only

If I use the 170's they will be on stands with plenty of distance between the back and the wall.

If I use HTM-200, would prefer to use stands (WAF)

Would appreciate any feedback.

Default Re: Surround Suggestions

I would suggest the HTM-200se. It can be placed flush against the wall and it's not as big. The sides should be placed at least a foot above the heads of those sitting down. This will assist with getting sound to everyone across the back. This seems a lot easier with wall mounting. Plus the speaker wires can be taped over and painted. For me, that increases the WAF. If you use rear surrounds they would need to be placed relatively high and angled down since you're so close to the rear wall.
    Nate

I just got my HTM-200 SE pair in today to replace my terrible old Klipsch bookshelf speakers for surround duty with my Sierra Towers and Horizon Center with RAAL tweeters. I'm going to get the Sats eventually.

Holy crap the HTM-200 SE sounds incredible! Especially compared to the Klipsch R-15M speakers, amazing difference. The Klipsch speakers sound insanely harsh by comparison, and their soundstage is really small. They were terrible as surrounds because it sounded like they were funneling right into your ears, but the HTM-200 SE has a really nice wide dispersion that sounds sweet and huge. They call far less attention to themselves and blend in with everything else.

Since they have a higher WAF and are easier to place since they are sealed, I think you should go with 4 of them for full surround duty. I think you'll really love them with your front stage. Highly recommended.

To your original question (I think) of 5.1 vs. 7.1, I've read that 7.1 is helpful if you have multiple rows of viewers / listeners, but maybe not so much without that set up.

Thanks for the feedback everyone. I have moved the furniture slightly around (with approval, of course), and have a bit more room behind my seating area, so I am planning the 7.1 route.

I have scoured these threads on the Ascend site, and have found a mix of folks that use the 170's as the side surround, and the HTM 200's as the rears. Sounds to me like either way is a winner, but perhaps using 4 HTM-200's for all the surround duty might make a lot sense.
    Last edited by twssas; 06-01-2016 at 12:50 PM.

Well, after much looking at the comments, and suggestions, and looking at all the posts on the Ascend site, have now ordered:
    CMT-340 SE LR
    CMT-340 Center
    LV12R Subwoofer
    HTM-200SE for LR Side Surround, and for LR Back Surround.

I went with the 200's , as opposed to the 170's (which I think would be great), because even though I will be using stands, the stands will positioned against the side and back walls, and would have marginal distance for the ports, plus smaller footprint in a relatively small room.

My first set of decent speakers!

Looking forward to seeing them arrive!
    Last edited by twssas; 06-01-2016 at 01:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by twssas View Post
    Well, after much looking at the comments, and suggestions, and looking at all the posts on the Ascend site, have now ordered:
    CMT-340 SE LR
    CMT-340 Center
    LV12R Subwoofer

I went with the 200's , as opposed to the 170's (which I think would be great), because even though I will be using stands, the stands will positioned against the side and back walls, and would have marginal distance for the ports, plus smaller footprint in a relatively small room.

Fantastic! I really think you made the right decision for the reasons you listed. Please post your thoughts once you fire up your new speakers!

Quote Originally Posted by twssas View Post
    CMT-340 SE LR
    CMT-340 Center
    LV12R Subwoofer

You won't be disappointed! I have and love this setup. The HTM-200s were a smart choice for surrounds. I was watching the peanuts movie the other night. There is a part where the Red Barron flys overhead and I tracked the plane from left to right over my head. It was insane as if I had speakers on my ceiling. If it wasn't for my kids watching the movie, I would have paused and replayed that part a few times. The only limitation now will be how well the studio mixes the soundtrack! Have fun!

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny_Mac_III View Post
    You won't be disappointed! I have and love this setup. The HTM-200s were a smart choice for surrounds. I was watching the peanuts movie the other night. There is a part where the Red Barron flys overhead and I tracked the plane from left to right over my head. It was insane as if I had speakers on my ceiling. If it wasn't for my kids watching the movie, I would have paused and replayed that part a few times. The only limitation now will be how well the studio mixes the soundtrack! Have fun!
    Thanks for the feedback. I am thrilled to be getting these speakers. The hard part is the waiting.....

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny_Mac_III View Post
    The wide dispersion of the HTM-200 SE is really incredible, isn't it? I don't even have rear surrounds and I'm already amazed at how much better the experience is with them versus my old surrounds (Klipsch R-15M). I watched Star Wars: The Force Awakens again last night and the battle scenes are so much more alive and real sounding. Instead of having sound funneled right into my ear from those horns, it's all around, above and below. Really thrilling performance for such a cheap speaker.