Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Aerial Acoustics 7T / Serria Towers

Default Aerial Acoustics 7T / Serria Towers

I was lucky enough to go over to a friends a couple hours away and listen to his new Aerial Acoustics T7s. I was truly blown away.On the drive home I kept thinking to myself I wonder how these compare to the Serria towers. Could anyone shed some light on this topic? I understand the T7s are 4 times the cost.

Cheers,
    Nik

Default Re: Aerial Acoustics 7T / Serria Towers

It might be unlikely for someone to do a AXB comparison of the 7T and Sierra Tower, I think the Aerial 6T would be more of a fair fight.

I hadn't heard of the Aerial brand before and they look impressive. I am sure that I am not alone in wishing for an Ascend speaker similar to the 7T in driver sizes.

Quote Originally Posted by Blutarsky View Post
    It might be unlikely for someone to do a AXB comparison of the 7T and Sierra Tower, I think the Aerial 6T would be more of a fair fight.

I hadn't heard of the Aerial brand before and they look impressive. I am sure that I am not alone in wishing for an Ascend speaker similar to the 7T in driver sizes.
    Here is a review and some measurements:

http://www.stereophile.com/content/a...2AYMhySgLfd.97

http://www.ascendacoustics.com/pages...on%20Tower.pdf

I think the Sierra towers with the Raal ribbon tweeters measure better. Better off axis response. Or if you compare the impedance and phase angle or the cummlative sectoral decay.
    Last edited by N Boros; 05-01-2016 at 02:39 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by N Boros View Post
    Here is a review and some measurements:

http://www.stereophile.com/content/a...2AYMhySgLfd.97

http://www.ascendacoustics.com/pages...on%20Tower.pdf

I think the Sierra towers with the Raal ribbon tweeters measure better. Better off axis response. Or if you compare the impedance and phase angle or the cumulative sectoral decay.
    Very interesting! Thanks for the info.

I was thinking after posting that the Ariel 6T would be a better comparison, but they are still triple the price of the serrias. I would love ascend to make a larger tower!

Nino,

You are welcome. Unless you are inquiring about the Sierra towers for a gymnasium, cathedral, etc. I doubt they will be lacking in terms of output. Even I that case they might be okay. Check out this thread:

http://forum.ascendacoustics.com/sho...New-Revelation

Yes this is a different Ascend speaker, but I think they are pretty close in terms of output.

N Boros,

I am not worried in terms of output , they will have plenty! With an in room sensitivity of 93db it is a very easy speaker to drive. Mine will see about 50 rms from a vintage Luxman.

The reasoning for asking for a larger tower with be the cover a larger frequency range, to possibly eliminate the need of a separate subwoofer. (Yes I know that a touchy topic)

How much larger do you want? The 7T is about 1.5" taller, 2" wider, and 5" deeper than an Ascend Tower.

Also, according the Stereophile measurements, the 7T less sensitive than the Tower. Ascend has always been honest with their measurements. So it would take more power to get the 7T's to the same given loudness as the Towers. 86.6 vs 89 NrT/90 RAAL.
    -curtis

Quote Originally Posted by nino View Post
    N Boros,

The reasoning for asking for a larger tower with be the cover a larger frequency range, to possibly eliminate the need of a separate subwoofer. (Yes I know that a touchy topic)
    Ahh...got it.

Yes...touchy topic.
    -curtis

Quote Originally Posted by curtis View Post
    Ahh...got it.

Yes...touchy topic.
    Yup! not trying to rub anyone the wrong way with this thread," curiosity kills"

More or less want to know if they sound similar /different and in what aspects.

Smile Re: Aerial Acoustics 7T / Serria Towers

Nino,

Neither the RAAL towers (34Hz) or the Aerial 7T's (28Hz-just 2 more whole tones lower than the Ascends) will fill in the full bottom octave for movies, orchestra, organ or electronic genre. A "good musical" Rythmik sub (or others) with a small footprint will fill in that bottom octave with solid subsonic bass and integrate well while relieving stresses to the floor standing monitors. You'll have all the ultrasonic top end with the 7T (25kHz) or the RAAL Towers (32kHz), but maybe the lowest musical Octave may not be of any interest for you? In my opinion, till you have a great integrated sub in your musical system, you'll not know what you are missing!

I'm sure the Aerial 7T's sound great, but to me, the Sonus Faber Olimpica III ($12K) is the best floor standing system I've ever heard. However, with the Ascend 30-day in home trial period, I'd certainly get the RAAL towers in my home listening room first to hear what they have to offer. I'm very confident if you did, you'd fine the music missing nothing (except 18 to 34 Hz)!

Ted
    Sierra RAAL V2 Towers, Axiom EP 500 Sub, Morrow SP7 Grand Reference Speaker Cables, Phillips CD880 XLR Balanced Variable Line Output to Orchard Audio Strakrimson 375w/per ch Stereo Ultra GaNFET Amp..... (Dedicated 2.1 Acoustical Music Listening Room)!