Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Ascend home theater

Thumbs up Ascend home theater

Recently completed setting up a 5.1 home theater with CMT-340 SE for LCR, and HTM-200 SE for surrounds, with SVS SB12-NSD for subwoofer duty. And I am very pleased with how they sound. Compared to Klipsch RP-150M, and SVS Prime series, I find the Ascends excel at projecting a fantastic 3D soundstage in stereo mode, have better airiness, amazing instrument separation, and crisp high-frequencies, both on- and off-axis. I started with Klipsch system about 6 months ago, then moved over to SVS Prime, and had a chance to audition the CMT-340 SE at a cousin's place three weeks ago. I was blown away at the sound quality, so I sold the SVS Prime system, and got the Ascends. I think I'm settled for the next few years.

Here is how it looks:

Thanks to this forum, avsforum, and audioholics where I can continue to read about Ascends. And Dave, who responds to every email I've sent!
    Last edited by choombak; 05-10-2016 at 01:51 PM.

Default Re: Ascend home theater

Great to see yet another SVS customer come over to Ascend. Your setup looks fantastic, and I agree that Ascend speakers give you the most incredible 3D soundstage ever combined with incredible separation. They're hard to stop listening to.

Nice!

I'm waiting for the big brown truck to come with my 200s (surrounds). Back to the civilized world of 5.1 after roughing it with only 3.1 for a rather long stint.
    Last edited by Todd WI; 05-10-2016 at 03:14 PM.

Welcome to the family. That's a nice looking setup.

I think your rear speaker stands are the same as my side surrounds. I currently have HTM-200 mounted on mine, too. I find the stands to be very wobbly so I temporarily have furniture items preventing them from toppling over. I'm working on a solution to provide a more stable base.

Why didn't you route the speaker wire through the stand's pole?

Nice setup! That couch looks very comfortable

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Lawrence View Post
    I think your rear speaker stands are the same as my side surrounds. I currently have HTM-200 mounted on mine, too. I find the stands to be very wobbly so I temporarily have furniture items preventing them from toppling over. I'm working on a solution to provide a more stable base.

Why didn't you route the speaker wire through the stand's pole?
    Laziness...

Are your CMT-340 fronts setup for large or small. Audyessy detects and sets my 340's to large. Of course I have the ability to manually switch to small. Just wondering what's recommended. I listened with both small then large settings, and I'm not sure that I can tell the difference. Should have auditioned using varying movies.

Are your CMT-340 fronts setup for large or small. Audyessy detects and sets my 340's to large. Of course I have the ability to manually switch to small. Just wondering what's recommended. I listened with both small then large settings, and I'm not sure that I can tell the difference. Should have auditioned using varying movies.
    It really depends on your room, your taste, and your speakers. Because Ascend speakers play so darn accurately, they can manage pretty well on their own. I have two F12 subwoofers that push out some serious output, though, so my Sierra Towers get set to small by my processor. If your room is pretty big and your subwoofer lacks the output to energize the full room, your speakers may be doing a better job of playing down low, and might integrate just fine with large settings. It's really hard to tell unless you're in the room, hearing the system. In acoustic treatment threads I've seen guys do all sorts of crazy tricks and setups, you can make a lot of different things work.

In the end, just play around with it and settle on what sounds best. If you can't tell much of a difference, run them large and just enjoy their delicious output. Those speakers are so room filling and powerful it doesn't surprise me that they sound that great running full range.

Small -- because the sub does a fantastic job at lower frequencies than the CMTs'. If you have a sub, then set them to "small", as explained by Audyssey here (the first line itself!). Of course, you then need to set the cross-over frequencies for speakers, typically 60 or 80 Hz. is a good choice.