Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 12

Thread: Surrounds: HTM-200SE Horizontal Ceiling Mount - tweeter orientation

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    116

    Default Surrounds: HTM-200SE Horizontal Ceiling Mount - tweeter orientation

    I plan to mount my HTM-200 back surrounds to the ceiling. I will be using the mount in the photo below. The second photo is an example of how I want to mount the HTM-200.

    My questions:

    - The ceiling is about 8' high. The speaker will hang roughly 9" lower. Is this height okay? Does it matter how far behind the listening area the speaker is located?
    - I'm mounting the speaker horizontally. Should the tweeter be closer to the ceiling or to the floor?
    - Are there any issues when inserting screws in the the HTM-200 cabinet (other than possible contact with the crossover)?

    61myZVFxWcL._SL1200_.jpg


    ceiling mount.jpg

    Thanks!

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Manhattan Beach, California
    Posts
    6,191

    Default Re: Surrounds: HTM-200SE Horizontal Ceiling Mount - tweeter orientation

    Is the mount made to be used in that way?

    Surrounds should typically be 2-3 feet higher than ear height when seated.

    Yes, rear surrounds shouldn't be farther back than can be compensated for in the distance setting of your receiver.

    I think I would place the tweeter closer to the floor.
    -curtis

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Posts
    456

    Default Re: Surrounds: HTM-200SE Horizontal Ceiling Mount - tweeter orientation

    As Curtis said, you have to keep it close enough that the receiver will compensate. Mine doesn't let you go further than 12 feet in any direction I believe.

    Also I don't think there are any screws that insert into the speaker with that mount. I have a very similar one on a stand and there are holes on the side there, but they don't have a screw for them, there's just a piece of sticky rubber stuff that goes on there. On mine, there's an alan screw underneath that tightens the clamp on the speaker. It holds the speaker really, really well, with no screws. I think that putting screws in the cabinet would be a big risk of hitting something you don't want to hit, and would compromise the rigidity of the cabinet. I really wouldn't do it.

    As far as tweeter placement, I have no idea, I'd probably try it both ways and just go with what sounds best in the room. If you don't screw the speaker in, you can try it either way.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    116

    Default Re: Surrounds: HTM-200SE Horizontal Ceiling Mount - tweeter orientation

    Quote Originally Posted by curtis View Post
    Is the mount made to be used in that way?

    Surrounds should typically be 2-3 feet higher than ear height when seated.

    Yes, rear surrounds shouldn't be farther back than can be compensated for in the distance setting of your receiver.

    I think I would place the tweeter closer to the floor.
    I don't think that the mount is designed to be used in that orientation. The base where the speaker is perched, has holes on the side and on the bottom. My thought was to remove the driver nearest the mount base, and install a screw and nut with washers to make sure it is secure. The mount would then be mounted to the rafter through the drywall.

    Yeah, I read somewhere about the 2-3ft. height above ear level. Unfortunately, my setup won't allow for that unless I place the speakers on a stand and setup/take down after use.

    I did not know that there was a distance limit with the receiver setup. I need to research that.

    Boy, the challenges in setting up a HT. (first world problems)

    Thanks for the very helpful input.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    116

    Default Re: Surrounds: HTM-200SE Horizontal Ceiling Mount - tweeter orientation

    Quote Originally Posted by sludgeogre View Post
    As Curtis said, you have to keep it close enough that the receiver will compensate. Mine doesn't let you go further than 12 feet in any direction I believe.

    Also I don't think there are any screws that insert into the speaker with that mount. I have a very similar one on a stand and there are holes on the side there, but they don't have a screw for them, there's just a piece of sticky rubber stuff that goes on there. On mine, there's an alan screw underneath that tightens the clamp on the speaker. It holds the speaker really, really well, with no screws. I think that putting screws in the cabinet would be a big risk of hitting something you don't want to hit, and would compromise the rigidity of the cabinet. I really wouldn't do it.

    As far as tweeter placement, I have no idea, I'd probably try it both ways and just go with what sounds best in the room. If you don't screw the speaker in, you can try it either way.
    Thanks. I need to look into the possible limit on distances. Glad you guys chimed in before I began routing my wires through the drywall.

    My mounts do have holes on the side, and the adhesive rubber strips. But it also has holes on the side plate and on the bottom. I'm pretty sure I could get a secure mount without damaging the speaker if the crossover is not mounted to the inside bottom of the enclosure. My mounts have Philips screws that adjust the jaws clamping motion. I think that I can install screws without damaging the enclosures.

    Having said that, I think that distance limitation may very well turn out to be a problem.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    NW Pennsylvania
    Posts
    433

    Default Re: Surrounds: HTM-200SE Horizontal Ceiling Mount - tweeter orientation

    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Lawrence View Post
    Thanks. I need to look into the possible limit on distances. Glad you guys chimed in before I began routing my wires through the drywall.

    My mounts do have holes on the side, and the adhesive rubber strips. But it also has holes on the side plate and on the bottom. I'm pretty sure I could get a secure mount without damaging the speaker if the crossover is not mounted to the inside bottom of the enclosure. My mounts have Philips screws that adjust the jaws clamping motion. I think that I can install screws without damaging the enclosures.

    Having said that, I think that distance limitation may very well turn out to be a problem.
    I would suggest using screws that are shorter than or the same as the thickness of the enclosure walls.
    Nate

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Posts
    456

    Default Re: Surrounds: HTM-200SE Horizontal Ceiling Mount - tweeter orientation

    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Lawrence View Post
    Having said that, I think that distance limitation may very well turn out to be a problem.
    I've seen a couple guys use a ceiling mount that was essentially a pipe flange screwed into the ceiling, then you cut a piece of pipe to the length that you need, spraypaint it black, and use a standard screw mount with a clamp to the pipe, and voila, custom hanging rear speaker ceiling mount that is the right height for your space. This would possibly allow you to put them at the correct distance and height.

    Also, if you bought those mounts on Amazon you can return them really easily and pick up these mounts that will not harm your speakers and will screw directly into the holes on the back. I've used these before and they work very well.

    http://www.amazon.com/VideoSecu-Univ...+speaker+mount

    You can also buy the Omnimounts directly from ascend.
    Last edited by sludgeogre; 05-10-2016 at 09:43 PM.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    116

    Default Re: Surrounds: HTM-200SE Horizontal Ceiling Mount - tweeter orientation

    Quote Originally Posted by sludgeogre View Post
    I've seen a couple guys use a ceiling mount that was essentially a pipe flange screwed into the ceiling, then you cut a piece of pipe to the length that you need, spraypaint it black, and use a standard screw mount with a clamp to the pipe, and voila, custom hanging rear speaker ceiling mount that is the right height for your space. This would possibly allow you to put them at the correct distance and height.

    Also, if you bought those mounts on Amazon you can return them really easily and pick up these mounts that will not harm your speakers and will screw directly into the holes on the back. I've used these before and they work very well.

    http://www.amazon.com/VideoSecu-Univ...+speaker+mount

    You can also buy the Omnimounts directly from ascend.

    Thanks for your mounting suggestion. I have to go with an installation that is closer to the ceiling. The area where the speakers will be mounted, is above a regular traffic area.

    I saw those mounts on Amazon as well. If I can do the ceiling mount (still exploring that possibility), I want to mount the speakers horizontally to keep them close to the ceiling, and a little less noticeable.

    My basement theater/game room/gathering area is an open area. The theater is off to the side in a mostly contained area. The back surrounds, however, are partially in the flow of the other areas.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Posts
    456

    Default Re: Surrounds: HTM-200SE Horizontal Ceiling Mount - tweeter orientation

    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Lawrence View Post
    Thanks for your mounting suggestion. I have to go with an installation that is closer to the ceiling. The area where the speakers will be mounted, is above a regular traffic area.

    I saw those mounts on Amazon as well. If I can do the ceiling mount (still exploring that possibility), I want to mount the speakers horizontally to keep them close to the ceiling, and a little less noticeable.

    My basement theater/game room/gathering area is an open area. The theater is off to the side in a mostly contained area. The back surrounds, however, are partially in the flow of the other areas.
    Since the screw mounts on the HTM 200 SE are on one side of the speaker, you can mount it sideways and rotate the arm 45 degrees. It'll be nearly flush to the wall.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    116

    Default Re: Surrounds: HTM-200SE Horizontal Ceiling Mount - tweeter orientation

    Quote Originally Posted by sludgeogre View Post
    As Curtis said, you have to keep it close enough that the receiver will compensate. Mine doesn't let you go further than 12 feet in any direction I believe.
    When you said 12ft., is that from the main listening position?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •