Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Hello and Advice Requested

Default Re: Hello and Advice Requested

Personally I would go with the Denon AVR-X7200WA. It has a great AKM DAC, Audyssey XT32, and discrete amps. Just my opinion based on what little I have heard. All three are very reputable brands and models, so you shouldn't be disappointed with any of them, but it looks like the Denon has the most value and highest quality parts.

With your focus on 2-channel in the past, I think you should start with the RAAL Towers first.
    Last edited by curtis; 05-03-2016 at 03:31 PM.
    -curtis

Quote Originally Posted by curtis View Post
    With your focus on 2-channel in the past, I think you should start with the RAAL Towers first.
    Agreed!
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com

OK point taken. If you haven't figured out yet, I do a lot of "figuring"...I am a maximizer, which is good when you are an audiophile that works for a church, you have to make every penny count. Here is what I am thinking about based on your recommendations:

How important is the Denon front end piece? We are basically talking about enough money to fund the Horizon, the HTMs or CBMs and at least one sub. Rather than running all of the video through a 4k receiver and really simplify the system, I could run separate HDMIs from all my sources to the 4K TV and use my ONKYO TX-NR807 as audio central and use the TV as video central. So, my power, DACs and video processing is not optimized, but I would have all the speakers.

Where do the priorities lie?

Quote Originally Posted by stanfnelson View Post
    OK point taken. If you haven't figured out yet, I do a lot of "figuring"...I am a maximizer, which is good when you are an audiophile that works for a church, you have to make every penny count. Here is what I am thinking about based on your recommendations:

How important is the Denon front end piece? We are basically talking about enough money to fund the Horizon, the HTMs or CBMs and at least one sub. Rather than running all of the video through a 4k receiver and really simplify the system, I could run separate HDMIs from all my sources to the 4K TV and use my ONKYO TX-NR807 as audio central and use the TV as video central. So, my power, DACs and video processing is not optimized, but I would have all the speakers.

Where do the priorities lie?
    The priority is always the speakers first. I think it is totally fine to use your current receiver for amplification and use your TV as the switch if you are OK with doing that. You'll have plenty of power, so you should be good to go.

Also realize that unless the source you're using is 4K, it doesn't matter if you use the receiver or not. There isn't a lot of 4K content besides a few things on Netflix and the new UHD Blu Rays. Other than that, everything is still 1080P, so using your current receiver, it would look exactly the same. The only time you'd need to bypass the receiver is if you're actually watching 4K content.

Right. We already have a 4K Genie. We have some 4k content on the Mac.

I think I am going to pass on the Denon at the moment and see what I can swing in speakers alone...

The RAAL towers are magnificent speakers. They are a bit out of reach for this father of 3 college students, and I ended up with Sierra 2s and a Rythmik F12SE sub.

When my kids graduate, they'll get a modest present. I however will get a new set of RAAL towers, and build out a whole new HT set up, all Ascend. I won't mind a bit that it will be 5.1, and start with a 15 year old Denon AV Receiver.

As long as I can remember, the adage "start with the speakers" has been around and well supported. Nowadays, a well designed listening space is often ranked up there with speakers in terms of importance.

I agree. I am just a little apprehensive because I have rolled different amps through my system, including some highly rated AVRs. The difference between virtually anything else was startling. The precision and clarity of the BEL was truly night and day. Now, I suspect it, even at a modest 50w/ch into 8 ohms is much more capable of driving the 4ohm maggies. I am hoping I have a different experience with the Ascends.

Funny thing is, I don't have the same experience with the Maggie center. It sounds more or less fine with most other power sources.

Quote Originally Posted by stanfnelson View Post
    I agree. I am just a little apprehensive because I have rolled different amps through my system, including some highly rated AVRs. The difference between virtually anything else was startling. The precision and clarity of the BEL was truly night and day. Now, I suspect it, even at a modest 50w/ch into 8 ohms is much more capable of driving the 4ohm maggies. I am hoping I have a different experience with the Ascends.

Funny thing is, I don't have the same experience with the Maggie center. It sounds more or less fine with most other power sources.
    Maggies are a whole different story with amps because they need something that can grab on to a stable 4 ohm load with real power. Most AVRs really don't cut it, especially when they're rated at two channels most of the time. My Tympani 1D's were terrible with 105 watts, and then 300 watts even, but once I bi-amped them with 600 watts per channel, WOW! Amazing difference. Totally night and day.

However, even when amped to their best, my Ascend towers beat the pants off of my old Maggies, and they don't need nearly as much power.

I think the Maggie Center isn't as big of a difference because there is so little radiating area when compared to the mains panels, so they just don't need as beefy of a power amp to make them sing.