Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: request recommendations on mid-price integrated or receiver to replace old separates

Default Re: request recommendations on mid-price integrated or receiver to replace old separa

Thank you merrymaid520. I love all these wonderful suggestions.

Default Re: request recommendations on mid-price integrated or receiver to replace old separa

How about the Anthem MRX 510 or 520? About a $1,200-1,400. Great receiver with your basic features and connectivity but what makes me love this receiver is its ability to perform in music. It doesn't sound all that far off from my dedicated Oppo Dac.

Quote Originally Posted by freesole View Post
    How about the Anthem MRX 510 or 520? About a $1,200-1,400. Great receiver with your basic features and connectivity but what makes me love this receiver is its ability to perform in music. It doesn't sound all that far off from my dedicated Oppo Dac.
    I'm saving for an Anthem AVM 60 or maybe an Emotiva XMC-1. Have no idea which way I want to go, but with all of the great things I'm hearing about Anthem's new products, it looks like it's the way to go.

Here's how I would rate the AVRs (or prepro):

1. Arcam - Dirac Live FTW
    2. Anthem - ARC is really good but a step below Dirac
    3. Yamaha - Good quality and YPAO is pretty good, but below the other 2.
    10. Denon/Marantz - After hearing the 3 systems listed above, I will never ever ever use Audyssey again.
    Last edited by yesplease; 05-15-2016 at 04:41 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by yesplease View Post

10. Denon/Marantz - After hearing the 3 systems listed above, I will never ever ever use Audyssey again.
    It isn't in the same price range, but have you ever heard a system using Trinnov? Thoughts?
    -curtis

Quote Originally Posted by curtis View Post
    It isn't in the same price range, but have you ever heard a system using Trinnov? Thoughts?
    No, I've made a point not to just in case I'm so blown away I begin planning/scheming to get one. I should already be putting more into my IRAs.

I really wish they were in the 10k-15k range. In the receiver market now, pretty much everything is in the sub 5k range and then you have to jump up to 20k+ to dance with the big boys.

No, I've made a point not to just in case I'm so blown away I begin planning/scheming to get one. I should already be putting more into my IRAs.

I really wish they were in the 10k-15k range. In the receiver market now, pretty much everything is in the sub 5k range and then you have to jump up to 20k+ to dance with the big boys.
    Yeah...if/when I want to upgrade to 4K and/or Atmos....or anything new for that matter, I'm going to have to weigh that against giving up Trinnov...it is just too expensive.
    -curtis

I purchased the Sierra 2s, and I made the mistake of pairing them with a Denon AVR-X2000. The sound is not what I was hoping for. I just registered for this forum, clicked this thread, and within 20 seconds I see this post re: Audyssey, confirming what I thought to be true for the last 6 months: that Denon stinks. Should I go with a Yamaha Aventage? I need a theater receiver because I do plan on using the receiver for movies (and getting a center channel Sierra 2) even though as of now I only have a 2 speaker system with no sub, but music is my primary concern. Can someone suggest a decent quality receiver in the 1000$ range that will provide me with quality sound for music? Thank you very much.

Quote Originally Posted by jlb14ski View Post
    I purchased the Sierra 2s, and I made the mistake of pairing them with a Denon AVR-X2000. The sound is not what I was hoping for. I just registered for this forum, clicked this thread, and within 20 seconds I see this post re: Audyssey, confirming what I thought to be true for the last 6 months: that Denon stinks. Should I go with a Yamaha Aventage? I need a theater receiver because I do plan on using the receiver for movies (and getting a center channel Sierra 2) even though as of now I only have a 2 speaker system with no sub, but music is my primary concern. Can someone suggest a decent quality receiver in the 1000$ range that will provide me with quality sound for music? Thank you very much.
    What are you missing? Could just be that you need a subwoofer for your space. Anyway, I have a Marantz AV7701 connected to an Emotiva XPA-5 and I love the sound, but it certainly sounds a little sweeter with my Schiit Bifrost Multibit connected, but, like you, I also need my other three speakers for movies.

Quote Originally Posted by sludgeogre View Post
    What are you missing? Could just be that you need a subwoofer for your space. Anyway, I have a Marantz AV7701 connected to an Emotiva XPA-5 and I love the sound, but it certainly sounds a little sweeter with my Schiit Bifrost Multibit connected, but, like you, I also need my other three speakers for movies.
    I'm not really sure what I am missing, because this is my first foray into a real setup. The bass on the Sierra 2s is more than sufficient, I just think the Denon is poor quality and could be affecting the way I hear my music. I am just not impressed with the mids, and I know the mids are supposed to be the Sierra 2's strong suit. What is the benefit of a preamp connected to the emotiva? I am considering a Yamaha Aventage 1050, with the hope that it will improve overall sound.