Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: request recommendations on mid-price integrated or receiver to replace old separates

Default request recommendations on mid-price integrated or receiver to replace old separates

Hi Ascend community,
    My old stereo separates died after 30+ years and I'm looking to simplify with a receiver of decent sonic quality or an integrated that is modern enough to connect new tv and dvd to. Prefer money go to quality stereo sound but I'm open to multi-channels of amp if the overall value is there. For context, my old set up had a Soundcraftsman amp, Parasound pre and a special edition Marantz 5 disc cd player. I really want Ascend speakers but I want to have the electronics selected before I get the speakers so I'll have a full month to evaluate them during the return period should that be needed.
    Anyone's thoughts or experiences here will be much appreciated....thank you!
    Lojo
    Last edited by Lojo; 04-24-2016 at 09:31 AM.

Default Re: request recommendations on mid-price integrated or receiver to replace old separa

What power level are you looking for? If you want new, I'd suggest, in no particular order:

- Marantz PM8005:
    http://us.marantz.com/us/Products/Pa...oductId=PM8005
    - Outlaw RR2150 (if you do not mind the retro look):
    http://www.outlawaudio.com/products/rr2150.html
    NAD C 3xx series:
    http://nadelectronics.com/products/hifi-amplifiers

Multi-channel gets more difficult, as to keep cost reasonable a 5-ch or 7-ch AVR will have to cut corners somewhere. In the mainstream brands usually the tendency is to provide more of the bells & whistles and skimp on the power section. With the more audio enthusiast oriented brands (Emotiva, Anthem, NAD, Cambridge Audio, Rotel, etc.) the opposite is often true: less "gadgetry", more money put into the power stages.

I had for many years a NAD T-752 AVR, 5X80W or 2x100W. Now I have a Emotiva Fusion 8100 AVR, 7x65W, 5x80W or 2x110W. Very happy with both in my 17x13x8 room, whether with movies or music. The NAD I used with passive speakers only, the same with the Fusion 8100 initially, but now supplemented by a Rythmik L12 sub.

Default Re: request recommendations on mid-price integrated or receiver to replace old separa

Check out the Marantz SR7008 receiver. I think it offers a lot of value at current (discounted) prices if you can live without the latest features like Atmos and 4K.

Looking for HDMI connectivity in stereo limits your options quite a bit. Most stereo receivers are quite terrible, except for the Outlaw Audio one that was linked above, that guy is fantastic.

There are some OK ones here on Accessories 4 Less that have all of the conectivity options that you need, but just as a previous post here said, they skimp on power in favor of more gadetry and connectivity options.

http://www.accessories4less.com/make...ceivers/1.html

The PM8005 is a great unit, but it doesn't have HDMI connectivity, only analog audio in, so you'd need to use the DAC's in your separate devices, or have a separate DAC. The Outlaw stereo receiver is in the same category.

So, if you really want it all in one unit, you'll either have to buy a decent multi channel receiver (The SR7008 is a great recommendation) or a stereo receiver with a decent power section and the right connectivity options, which is hard to find.

Dear Todd WI,
    Thankyou very much for taking time to reply. Much appreciated!
    Lojo

Dear Sludgeogre,
    I'm finding out that you are so right; hard to find just the right thing: hi quality sound amp combined with the most modern connectivity. Truly grateful for your reply!
    Lojo
    PS Y'all are the best.

Quote Originally Posted by Lojo View Post
    Dear Sludgeogre,
    I'm finding out that you are so right; hard to find just the right thing: hi quality sound amp combined with the most modern connectivity.
    Yep, I apologize for suggesting a receiver that has 9 amplified channels, 7 of which you wouldn't use, but there isn't a lot of middle ground. The high(er) quality receivers typically come with a lot of other "features". I think this is what you are looking for

http://www.arcam.co.uk/products,FMJ,...iers,sr250.htm

but probably not at its $3600 list price.

It doesn't sound like you need/want all the latest bells and whistles, maybe you could find a similar used Arcam unit? Another option might be to replace your separates with errr separates. Maybe something like a used Arcam AVP 700 AVP700 ($300 used on Amazon now) paired with a new Marantz MM7025? Just thinking out loud.

Todd

Hey Todd,
    one more thing....what does "errr" mean? I assume it means used but not sure.
    Thankyou,
    Lojo

Quote Originally Posted by Lojo View Post
    Hey Todd,
    one more thing....what does "errr" mean? I assume it means used but not sure.
    Thankyou,
    Lojo
    Just bad grammar meant to make me sound smart when in fact it does the opposite, like an ummm, or an ahhhh, or "wait for it...".

Check audiogon. There's a Parasound halo integrated up right now.