Quote Originally Posted by Asliang View Post
I am generalizing about domes, and I am talking mostly about vertical dispersion when comparing these to drivers. But even on the horizontal plane, the Revel will "seem" to have more room filling because it remains flatter in FR response even at 90 degrees.
Hmmm... I am not sure how you have come to that conclusion. The polar response you posted shows the HF response dropping like a stone at only 8kHz in as little as 30 degs off-axis. Compared to the Sierra-2 polar response, which at even 90 degs off-axis, is only about 3dB down...

I am not sure if you are properly interpreting the polar response measurements and I am also not sure if you are comparing the Gem's to our Sierra-2 or our ribbon towers.

There is simply no 1 inch dome tweeter made that will have as wide and symmetrical horizontal off-axis response as the ribbons we are using. It's just physics...

I have quite a bit of experience with the Gems (both in listening and measuring as I was lucky enough to work with a few ex-Harman engineers. That said, my comparison was regarding midrange clarity and detail and more specifically with our towers than our Sierra-2. Personally, I was never much a fan of the Gems (any version) as the thinness you mentioned was always a bit off-putting and that same thinness also contributes to the impression of more detail in the mids and highs...

I fully stand by my original statement Both in listening and backed up with measurements. Have you seen the polar response of our ribbon tower? It is remarkable...

srt-polar.jpg