Thread: Just Set Up Sierra 1's with NRT

Default Just Set Up Sierra 1's with NRT

Well I just got around to installing a pair of Sierra 1 NRT's as L/R. These are replacing an old set of Wharfedale speakers and I have to say that I'm very impressed by the sound that they put out.

They are being driven by a Yamaha Aventage A-1020 receiver and so far so good. I have a Rhythmic Audio LV12R sub that I will eventually pair them with however even without the sub and without running the YPAO setup on the receiver I'm plenty impressed with the speakers. The bass from these speakers is quite incredible and I love the sound at the highers end of the spectrum as well.

I'm looking forward to calibrating the speakers for my room and optimizing positioning so that I get the best sound possible from these beauties. I spent a long time researching what speakers I should buy and I have to say that I'm not disappointed by the Sierra's in the slightest.

Thanks Dave for manufacturing such a superb set of speakers for the price. I think that they would be a bargain at double the price and the fact that I bought a used pair that were 50% of the current retail cost just makes it all the better!

Thumbs up Re: Just Set Up Sierra 1's with NRT

Congrats NS! To date (and since the late 70's), they are the best 2-way dome monitor system I've ever heard!! Feed em good clean power, then they'll Really start to sing and "disappear"...nothing left but The Music!!!

Ted
    Sierra RAAL V2 Towers, Axiom EP 500 Sub, Morrow SP7 Grand Reference Speaker Cables, Phillips CD880 XLR Balanced Variable Line Output to Orchard Audio Strakrimson 375w/per ch Stereo Ultra GaNFET Amp..... (Dedicated 2.1 Acoustical Music Listening Room)!

Default Re: Just Set Up Sierra 1's with NRT

Quote Originally Posted by Needspeakers View Post
    Well I just got around to installing a pair of Sierra 1 NRT's as L/R. These are replacing an old set of Wharfedale speakers and I have to say that I'm very impressed by the sound that they put out.

They are being driven by a Yamaha Aventage A-1020 receiver and so far so good. I have a Rhythmic Audio LV12R sub that I will eventually pair them with however even without the sub and without running the YPAO setup on the receiver I'm plenty impressed with the speakers. The bass from these speakers is quite incredible and I love the sound at the highers end of the spectrum as well.

I'm looking forward to calibrating the speakers for my room and optimizing positioning so that I get the best sound possible from these beauties. I spent a long time researching what speakers I should buy and I have to say that I'm not disappointed by the Sierra's in the slightest.

Thanks Dave for manufacturing such a superb set of speakers for the price. I think that they would be a bargain at double the price and the fact that I bought a used pair that were 50% of the current retail cost just makes it all the better!
    Excellent -- and welcome to the family. Happy to hear you are enjoying the S1 NrT's
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com

A quick update now that I have had a chance to calibrate the Sierra 1's with my Sub. All I can say is wow!

I have been listening to Jean Michel Jarre's "Concerts in China" since it has what I consider to be a wide spectrum of music to challenge the speakers. "Arpegiateur" - complex and punchy bass which the Sierra's and LV12r handle with aplomb, sound stage is incredibly wide and the speakers easily keep up with the pulsing and quickly changing bass on this track. "Fishing Junks at Sunset" - the speakers easily reproduce the sound of the laser harp on this track, I think that the tweeter accurately captures every aspect of the airiness here. "Orient Express" - amazing bass reproduction, no boominess in the bass, just accurate, punchy, driving rhythm while reproducing everything else just as it should be.

I'm looking forward to listening to many more of my favorite's (Floyd, Wakeman, Genesis, Beethoven) to hear how the S1's enhance them.

Thanks Dave!

Fan of JM Jarre as well. "Concerts in China" is one of a kind, even among his body of work, which already is not mainstream at all

Besides the artistic merit, for sure that kind of music can be very revealing, if properly recorded and mixed. One of those cases when critical listening and listening for pleasure can converge!

Mainstream he may not be, however a superb composer and musician he certainly is MusicHead. I was lucky enough to see one of his Docklands concerts in London many years ago and would love to see him again live in the future. In the meantime I'll just have to rely on my Sierra 1's and Rhythmic to recreate what that could be!

Great to know there are other JMJ fans out there!