Page 7 of 37 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Diamond Tweeter?

Default Re: Diamond Tweeter?

Quote Originally Posted by theriddler07sms View Post
    Is that 6k for a pair of towers?
    Oh no - that would be for a 2-way pair of bookshelf speakers. The tweeters themselves are currently retailing for $6832 per pair. Of course, we would pay less than retail price, but even at 50% off-- well, you get the idea. This would never be a product we would stock. It would be a purely niche product and built to order with an estimated 6 week lead time. Frankly, we could not afford to stock the tweeters and if we did, we would need a vault to keep them in, lol.
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com

Quote Originally Posted by mikesiskav View Post
    You can count on me and Curtis being over there for a demo as soon as you've got something.
    Absolutely!

Quote Originally Posted by curtis View Post
    and I'm sure yours will measure better!
    That's a given.....
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com

Quote Originally Posted by davef View Post
    Absolutely!

That's a given.....
    I followed the previous link of this $20,000 bookshelf speaker and found some NRC measurements. Those measuring the speaker said they they chose to measure the distortion at 85 dB as opposed to the usual 90 dB so that they don't run too much current through the drivers and damage them because of the low sensitivity. I'm really confused. Even though the speaker has low sensitivity you said that the tweeter is supposed to be able to get very loud, meaning that it can handle a low of current without damage. With this implementation of the tweeter did the speaker designer not do a good job of pairing a woofer that can keep up with the tweeter?

This sounds crazy to me that someone would spend a $20,000 on a speaker that they cannot safely drive much past 85 dB.

85db ? That's my turned down level on my Towers to try to hear what the Wife is saying....
    MacMini > Audirvana > Musical Fidelity V Dac II >
    Emotiva XSP-1 > Emotiva XPA-2 > Sierra Tower NRT > Rythmik F12SE > My Ears >

Quote Originally Posted by N Boros View Post
    I followed the previous link of this $20,000 bookshelf speaker and found some NRC measurements. Those measuring the speaker said they they chose to measure the distortion at 85 dB as opposed to the usual 90 dB so that they don't run too much current through the drivers and damage them because of the low sensitivity. I'm really confused. Even though the speaker has low sensitivity you said that the tweeter is supposed to be able to get very loud, meaning that it can handle a low of current without damage. With this implementation of the tweeter did the speaker designer not do a good job of pairing a woofer that can keep up with the tweeter?

This sounds crazy to me that someone would spend a $20,000 on a speaker that they cannot safely drive much past 85 dB.
    I saw that too. I think they're wrong. Those drivers can take a lot of voltage and can play pretty loud without distortion or damage. I think the testing facility was unnecessarily cautious - maybe because they knew the price of the speakers and were afraid to damage them.

Quote Originally Posted by davef View Post
    Oh no - that would be for a 2-way pair of bookshelf speakers. The tweeters themselves are currently retailing for $6832 per pair. Of course, we would pay less than retail price, but even at 50% off-- well, you get the idea. This would never be a product we would stock. It would be a purely niche product and built to order with an estimated 6 week lead time. Frankly, we could not afford to stock the tweeters and if we did, we would need a vault to keep them in, lol.
    I'm thinking they'll make a decent surround speaker

Quote Originally Posted by merrymaid520 View Post
    I'm thinking they'll make a decent surround speaker
    It'll go good with the diamond towers up front. :-)

My bride of 40+ yrs. has enough diamonds...maybe time to buy myself some!!!

Ted
    Sierra RAAL V2 Towers, Axiom EP 500 Sub, Morrow SP7 Grand Reference Speaker Cables, Phillips CD880 XLR Balanced Variable Line Output to Orchard Audio Strakrimson 375w/per ch Stereo Ultra GaNFET Amp..... (Dedicated 2.1 Acoustical Music Listening Room)!

Quote Originally Posted by N Boros View Post

Quote Originally Posted by RPM View Post
    85db ? That's my turned down level on my Towers to try to hear what the Wife is saying....
    Quote Originally Posted by Beave View Post
    I saw that too. I think they're wrong. Those drivers can take a lot of voltage and can play pretty loud without distortion or damage. I think the testing facility was unnecessarily cautious - maybe because they knew the price of the speakers and were afraid to damage them.
    Guys - you are jumping to the wrong conclusions. First off, these are measurements taken at 2 meters in a true anechoic chamber. Not only is there zero room gain, but the mic will only pick up the direct sound. Nearly all off-axis radiation will be absorbed by the wedges and as such, to reach 90dB with an 81dB sensitivity speaker will require quite a bit of power (~50 watts) Now, most will say 50 watts is not that much power, but the problem is that these distortion measurements are performed using sine wave sweeps. Sine waves are not representative of music or any typical source material that would be fed to the speaker -- and throwing a 50 watt sine wave at a speaker is crazy, this is a sure fire to way damage a woofer or a tweeter. 85dB would require 10 watt sine waves and that is generally the safe zone limit for a tweeter.

Hitting a $3K tweeter with a 50 watt sine wave sweep makes even me cringe at thought... Imagine seeing smoke from the voice coil or the dome itself shattering...
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com

They have tested other speakers at much higher voltage levels (and much higher subsequent power levels, as those other speakers also have lower impedances) - and no damage resulted.

85dB for the Crystal Cable speaker required 8.74V input levels. The speaker's impedance is over 8 Ohms in general. So, as you stated, power would be 10 watts or so.

Now look at the tests for the PSB Synchrony Two B (another small bookshelf speaker with fairly low sensitivity of 84dB). They ran THD sweeps at 90dB@2m with a voltage input of 10.9V, and that's a speaker with a lower impedance than the Crystal Cable speaker. So even more power. Then they even went a step further and measured THD at 95dB@2m, with a voltage input of 19.5V. With this speaker being around a 4 Ohm load, that's way more power than what they did with the Crystal Cable speaker.

So why were they willing to play the PSB speaker at such high power input to it, but not willing to go nearly as high with the Crystal Cable speaker?