Page 6 of 37 FirstFirst 1234567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Diamond Tweeter?

Default Re: Diamond Tweeter?

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny_Mac_III View Post
    What are the dispersion characteristics of the diamond tweeter? Thanks.
    Basically the same as any other SEAS 1" dome tweeter. Dispersion characteristics are unaffected by material. For dome tweeters, the critical factors are the diameter of the dome, dome shape, and faceplate.
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com

Gotcha! This tweeter sounds like a game changer.

Tonight in a bookstore I saw that the latest edition of Stereophile features a review of a Crystal Cable bookshelf speaker that features the SEAS diamond tweeter (or some variation of it). The speaker also appears to use a Scan Speak Illuminator 6" woofer. Cost per pair of speakers is $20k.

Review will be on Stereophile's website soon.

Quote Originally Posted by Beave View Post
    Tonight in a bookstore I saw that the latest edition of Stereophile features a review of a Crystal Cable bookshelf speaker that features the SEAS diamond tweeter (or some variation of it). The speaker also appears to use a Scan Speak Illuminator 6" woofer. Cost per pair of speakers is $20k.

Review will be on Stereophile's website soon.
    Thanks for the heads up. Crystal Cable has the review on their website. I'd have to say that for $20K, the Stereophile review didn't seem to enthusiastic about the speaker. Seems like the overall balance of the speaker is a little off. The measured sensitivity is also pretty low at 81dB.

Yeah, the measurements could be - and should be - a lot better. The low sensitivity is somewhat ameloriated by the high impedance of the speakers, but that frequency response on-axis needs some work. Looks like the crossover isn't optimal; or maybe the two drivers chosen just don't work together optimally.

But, hey, they have a unique look; they use extravagant drivers, pricey crossover components, and silver internal wiring; and they cost a fortune. So that's a CLASS A component in the minds of Stereophile.

Quote Originally Posted by Beave View Post
    But, hey, they have a unique look; they use extravagant drivers, pricey crossover components, and silver internal wiring; and they cost a fortune. So that's a CLASS A component in the minds of Stereophile.
    and an interesting name "Arabesque Minissimo Diamond"....

$20k? It's a head scratcher...
    -curtis

Quote Originally Posted by curtis View Post
    and an interesting name "Arabesque Minissimo Diamond"....

$20k? It's a head scratcher...
    I am not at all surprised by the $20K price tag. These SEAS white diamond tweeters are the most expensive tweeters I have ever come across, but they are also the best sounding dome tweeters I have ever evaluated. I've been looking at some numbers and I don't think we could offer a pair of speakers with these tweeters and top notch woofers for anything less than $6K/pair. With that in mind, I am still going to design a set -- and soon
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com

Quote Originally Posted by davef View Post
    I am not at all surprised by the $20K price tag. These SEAS white diamond tweeters are the most expensive tweeters I have ever come across, but they are also the best sounding dome tweeters I have ever evaluated. I've been looking at some numbers and I don't think we could offer a pair of speakers with these tweeters and top notch woofers for anything less than $6K/pair. With that in mind, I am still going to design a set -- and soon
    Is that 6k for a pair of towers?

You can count on me and Curtis being over there for a demo as soon as you've got something.

and I'm sure yours will measure better!
    -curtis