Page 3 of 37 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: Diamond Tweeter?

Smile Re: Diamond Tweeter?

Quote Originally Posted by SGCSG1 View Post
    I don't think 'reasonable cost' is part of this equation. I think this is new territory - 'cost no object'.
    You're correct SG. For Ascend's equation, this does seem like a "cost no object" growth toward audio reproduction perfection. However, after reviewing the world audiophile speaker systems market place (ranging from $10K on up through $1M...and yes, totally out of my interest and pocket book... see HERE ), then Ascend and Dave could bring to that top-end speaker elitist group a true "Reasonable Cost" product that certainly would not give up Anything to the top end speaker market in the way of realistic home audio speaker musical reproduction.

Probably like most here though, wondering would an incremental increase a diamond high end could offer, be worth 3x+ the price tag of their already superb RAAL high end systems? I can't answer that and seems Dave is in the beginning stages to determine answers to the same questions. But I'm sure if he goes for it, between Seas and Ascend, they'll obtain a world class transducer system that for it's final price-of-admission, befuddle the speaker industry with the question, "how'd he do that"?!

Ted
    Sierra RAAL V2 Towers, Axiom EP 500 Sub, Morrow SP7 Grand Reference Speaker Cables, Phillips CD880 XLR Balanced Variable Line Output to Orchard Audio Strakrimson 375w/per ch Stereo Ultra GaNFET Amp..... (Dedicated 2.1 Acoustical Music Listening Room)!

Default Re: Diamond Tweeter?

I might consider this option down the road...only if its priced in affordable range like the all the Ascend products and includes a simple drop-in package. I've thought about doing the RAAL upgrade to my mains but they require being shipped back to Ascend for proper installation, hence my reluctance.

No money tree but I'd try and make it work...
    Last edited by billy p; 04-24-2016 at 12:35 PM.
    Speakers 5.1.2: TitanTowers v2 & STC(RAAL v2), MA CP-WT&CT260
    Sub: Funk Audio 18.0 SantosRW

Source: Denon X3800H, Oppo BDP 103D, UBK-90 4K & LG B9 65"
    Office 2.0: Philharmonic True Mini(coming-soon), Fosi TB10D via Wiim mini.

Quote Originally Posted by theophile View Post
    BTW Dave, what is the 3db down Vertical\Horizontal dispersion characteristics of the 70-10 RAAL as implemented in the Sierra2?
    The tweeter in the Sierra-2 is a custom RAAL, made specifically for us. I generally recommend a vertical listening window of +/- 15 degrees. For your setup, the increased vertical directivity of our ribbon tweeters is not a concern.
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com

Quote Originally Posted by S20 View Post
    I genuinely can't figure out if this is a late April Fool prank or not.
    LOL - definitely no joke. My thoughts on this are that we will likely see a few more speakers on the market using this tweeter and selling for tens of thousands. Using our existing bamboo cabinets, we can likely release a pair of bookshelf speakers using this tweeter and an appropriate woofer for somewhere between $5-6K /pair, while also offering an upgrade option for current customers. This tweeter has a really unique sound that is quite addicting.

The first step is that SEAS must find a way to offer the tweeter to us such that it would be the correct mechanical fit into our existing cabinets. If they are able to accomplish that, Claus agreed to memo loan me a pair of the tweeters and from there, I would design the speaker and upgrades. At that point, I would be able to truly compare to the RAAL versions and determine if pursuing further development is worthwhile.

It is not a project that I would expect to bring us any reasonable revenue -- but I often find myself designing products just for the pure love of it
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com

Quote Originally Posted by merrymaid520 View Post
    B stock pricing on this thing?

Interesting! In a few years (after we move) I might have some interest in a high end Tower. While you are at it, any advantage to going all out and investigating some of the high end SEAS mid and bass drivers too?

Maybe I can continue the trend.....get the first pair Brandon, you cheapskate.
    I will reserve the first pair for you Brandon

I have nearly every SEAS Excel woofer and tweeter here. When and if the time comes to start the design process, I will absolutely consider using one of these woofers, along with many others that I feel would be equally appropriate.
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com

Smile Re: Diamond Tweeter?

Quote Originally Posted by davef View Post
    The tweeter in the Sierra-2 is a custom RAAL, made specifically for us. I generally recommend a vertical listening window of +/- 15 degrees. For your setup, the increased vertical directivity of our ribbon tweeters is not a concern.
    Thanks Dave! I'll be in a better position late June to receive the Sierra 2's in P. Black!

As per this thread comments, will also closely follow your development of a diamond dome top end transducer\monitor system...!!!

Ted
    Sierra RAAL V2 Towers, Axiom EP 500 Sub, Morrow SP7 Grand Reference Speaker Cables, Phillips CD880 XLR Balanced Variable Line Output to Orchard Audio Strakrimson 375w/per ch Stereo Ultra GaNFET Amp..... (Dedicated 2.1 Acoustical Music Listening Room)!

Quote Originally Posted by davef View Post
    I will reserve the first pair for you Brandon

I have nearly every SEAS Excel woofer and tweeter here. When and if the time comes to start the design process, I will absolutely consider using one of these woofers, along with many others that I feel would be equally appropriate.
    Well, I heard McDonalds is now hiring. Im off to apply for a second job to afford these gems! (pun intended).

On a serious note, I like having the option as a current Ascend owner to move up the ladder so to speak. Having a cost no object bookshelf at or around $5k and possibly a Tower version for $6-$7k would in my opinion gain some traction in the industry. I was at Axpona in Chicago recently and you would not believe the overpriced crazy high end stuff they sell there. People have the money for $20k speakers! Not me. Best of luck bringing this to fruition. I hope SEAS and Ascend can make it happen. It does not sound as if a whole lot of your time and money would be invested, mostly theirs

Interesting development here, but this will be WAY above my budget.

Dave, there will no doubt be a market for these. I would offer this advice:
    If/when you and SEAS develop a more cost-effective, proprietary version for a "Super Sierra" do yourself and ascend a huge favor......Pay for the rights to the design so that it will not be available for general consumption and show up in copycat designs!!

Just my $0.02
    Ed

* Sierra-2EX's W/V2 crossover upgrade
    * (2) Rythmik F12's
    * Parasound Halo P6
    * Audio by Van Alstine DVA-M225 Monoblock Amps
    * MiniDSP 2x4HD For Sub calibration
    *World's Best Cables Canare 4S11 speaker cables

Quote Originally Posted by Mag_Neato View Post
    Interesting development here, but this will be WAY above my budget.

Dave, there will no doubt be a market for these. I would offer this advice:
    If/when you and SEAS develop a more cost-effective, proprietary version for a "Super Sierra" do yourself and ascend a huge favor......Pay for the rights to the design so that it will not be available for general consumption and show up in copycat designs!!

Just my $0.02
    Likely wishful thinking. For seas to recoup the development costs I'm almost certain ascend would not sell enough for seas to make the diamond tweeter exclusive. Just a thought.

I would want the Sierra with the diamond tweeter to exceed and/or meet the performance of the Sierra 2 and the Sierra towers. More output would be something that clearly would be designed into the Sierra with the diamond tweeter, since that is one of the advantages, so it is reasonable to assume that it would be designed to be maintained throughout the frequency band. However, one area of concern for me would be wide dispersion. This is actually a drawback of dome tweeters is that they don't exhibit the same exceptionally wide dispersion that the Sierra 2 has, at the expense of narrow vertical dispersion.

This got me thinking of a recent Home Theater Geeks podcast episode: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u4BlW39JQdA You only need to watch from 35 min to about 48 min to see the very cool waveguide, though the whole episode was quite good. They talk about a new wave guide that they call a "conic section array" to get an extremely wide horizontal dispersion out of the tweeter. Even at 80 degrees off axis the shape of the curve hasn't changed! Only the level has decreased, but it has done so uniformly for all frequencies. The design does trade off extremely wide horizontal dispersion for narrow vertical dispersion. Are there any other technologies in terms of wave guides like this that could be incorporated? I'm sure they patented this new design technology and even if Ascend paid them to use the technology, it would put the speaker way over budget. I think that if the dispersion can equal or better yet surpass that of the current Raal ribbon tweeters, then this really would be a killer cost no object speaker.