Page 17 of 37 FirstFirst ... 1213141516171819202122 ... LastLast

Thread: Diamond Tweeter?

Default Re: Diamond Tweeter?

Quote Originally Posted by PoppaOptic View Post
    After listening to a set of B&W 804 speakers with the "diamond" tweeter I don't give much credence to techno-babble for marketing. It's all in how the whole speaker comes together. My S2 bookshelf speakers sound way better, to me, than the B&W 804.

Good job Ascend!
    I own the Sierra 2s as well. I haven't heard the B&W's you are mentioning. And I don't want to get start a debate about who is a better speaker designer and who might be using better materials. I'm thinking that Ascend speakers and B&W both use quality components and are designed well.

So really the difference is what the designers were going for especially in this case of the B&W 804s and the Ascend Sierra 2s. The B&Ws are not going for an accurate sound, whereas the Ascends are going for an accurate sound. So really, in the case of what you heard, I think that what you heard is two speakers that had two very different design goals.

Quote Originally Posted by N Boros View Post
    I own the Sierra 2s as well. I haven't heard the B&W's you are mentioning. And I don't want to get start a debate about who is a better speaker designer and who might be using better materials. I'm thinking that Ascend speakers and B&W both use quality components and are designed well.

So really the difference is what the designers were going for especially in this case of the B&W 804s and the Ascend Sierra 2s. The B&Ws are not going for an accurate sound, whereas the Ascends are going for an accurate sound. So really, in the case of what you heard, I think that what you heard is two speakers that had two very different design goals.
    Not sure where you're going with all of this since I clearly stated "to me" referring to sound quality. The B&W sounded extremely harsh to my ears. I like bright speakers, but these were harsh to my ears and didn't have the desired sound quality for what I like to listen to in music.

I also listened to some Paradigm Persona speakers with a Beryllium Mid and Beryllium Hi per "marketing". I thought these sounded really good.

I then listened to some Bryston Middle T speakers and thought they were the best speakers I've heard. They don't have any marketing hype and honestly look like something from a K-Mart bluelight special. For how I enjoy listening to music they were great.

My whole point is simply marketing is just that...marketing. It doesn't matter what is used if the entire system doesn't perform well together and even then that doesn't matter since it's totally subjective to an individual's listening preferences.

Quote Originally Posted by PoppaOptic View Post
    Not sure where you're going with all of this since I clearly stated "to me" referring to sound quality. The B&W sounded extremely harsh to my ears. I like bright speakers, but these were harsh to my ears and didn't have the desired sound quality for what I like to listen to in music.

I also listened to some Paradigm Persona speakers with a Beryllium Mid and Beryllium Hi per "marketing". I thought these sounded really good.

I then listened to some Bryston Middle T speakers and thought they were the best speakers I've heard. They don't have any marketing hype and honestly look like something from a K-Mart bluelight special. For how I enjoy listening to music they were great.

My whole point is simply marketing is just that...marketing. It doesn't matter what is used if the entire system doesn't perform well together and even then that doesn't matter since it's totally subjective to an individual's listening preferences.
    I agree with you that marketing of speakers or just about anything else should typically be ignored. At best they are stretching the truth with much of what they say.

The only point that I was trying to make is simply that the Sierra 2s and B&W 804s should sound drastically different, because they had drastically different design goals. So removing what drivers and materials were used to construct either or even if they were designed well or not from the equation, I think it is mostly just the different design goals.

B&W aims for the smile curve with elevated highs and bass, with the midrange recessed. I would think that most people set their volume level based on the midrange, probably the critical midrange where our hearing is most sensitive. Coming from an accurate speaker that you are used to, you then set the volume level for a recording on the B&Ws and find the bass and highs seem way too hot, even to the point where the highs came off as harsh. I would probably have experienced the same thing listening to them. But, if some people have lost a lot of high end in their hearing and prefer the bass to be a bit elevated, then maybe the B&Ws sound great. This must be why they are such a popular speaker. But, I'm betting that the "harshness" at least from B&Ws speakers are not because they cut corners on the quality of the drivers or something else. Maybe I'm wrong though.

Any updates or pics of the speakers with the diamond tweeters?

Quote Originally Posted by diesel79 View Post
    Any updates or pics of the speakers with the diamond tweeters?
    SEAS is making us our own version of the white diamond, purely aesthetic changes only. I prefer not to post any pics until we get our version in - which should be very soon.
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com

Very cool. Thanks for the update!

Quote Originally Posted by davef View Post
    SEAS is making us our own version of the white diamond, purely aesthetic changes only. I prefer not to post any pics until we get our version in - which should be very soon.
    Would we be able to use the new tweeter on the Luna's?

Quote Originally Posted by bclark8923 View Post
    Would we be able to use the new tweeter on the Luna's?
    Maybe I'm mistaken, but it looks like the last photo of the first post in the thread shows a Luna with the Diamond tweeter in it.

Quote Originally Posted by N Boros View Post
    Maybe I'm mistaken, but it looks like the last photo of the first post in the thread shows a Luna with the Diamond tweeter in it.
    It sure does!
    -curtis

Quote Originally Posted by curtis View Post
    It sure does!
    Awesome

Has any pricing ranges been announced yet? Just curious how much I have to start saving :P