Page 12 of 37 FirstFirst ... 7891011121314151617 ... LastLast

Thread: Diamond Tweeter?

Default Re: Diamond Tweeter?

Quote Originally Posted by amnesia0287 View Post
    I too am very interested in these. I just got a pair of Funk 18.0c's and realized a great deal of my towers size and capability are just being wasted.
    Can you please elaborate why you feel so?

I just can't imagine how the world's finest dome tweeters would enhance my listening experience other than the dispersion/directional issues of the dome versus the ribbon tweeter. O.o I guess I'd rather remain ignorant in my RAAL bliss and not know what I'm missing. It would be safer for my wallet. ^_^

Quote Originally Posted by bkdc View Post
    I just can't imagine how the world's finest dome tweeters would enhance my listening experience other than the dispersion/directional issues of the dome versus the ribbon tweeter. O.o I guess I'd rather remain ignorant in my RAAL bliss and not know what I'm missing. It would be safer for my wallet. ^_^
    I feel kind of the same way...but I am sure I will have a listen at Ascend when Dave is ready.
    -curtis

Quote Originally Posted by curtis View Post
    I feel kind of the same way...but I am sure I will have a listen at Ascend when Dave is ready.
    I have a very high end custom designed woofer that I want to try with the white diamond tweeter. It will be an interesting comparison to A/B this combination of components against the Sierra-2, also A/B against a white diamond Sierra-2 (same woofer, diamond tweeter) against a Sierra-2.

At this point, the only thing I am sure about is that this tweeter is the best sounding dome tweeter I have ever come across (unfortunately, I think it may also be the most expensive)
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com

I took what Dave was saying previously to mean that he wasn't completely sure if there would be an advantage in dispersion in the diamond tweeter over that of the RAAL ribbon tweeter, until he started working on the design and taking measurements, but he didn't expect much of a difference over previous dome tweeters. In fact, looking at the measurements the Sierra 2 has better (wider) horizontal dispersion than that of the Sierra 1. Now if someone has a very reflective room that is untreated, then the wider dispersion may not be a positive benefit. But, I am in the camp of designing the room around a speaker (choosing a room with a good layout, dimensions and one where we can use room treatments) with characteristics that are highly correlated with good sound, rather than trying to choose a speaker that can play nicely in a compromised room. It just seems to be an easier approach to getting the best possible sound. It sounds to me like he expects significant differences in other areas.

Quote Originally Posted by davef View Post
    [The dispersion characteristics are] Basically the same as any other SEAS 1" dome tweeter. Dispersion characteristics are unaffected by material. For dome tweeters, the critical factors are the diameter of the dome, dome shape, and faceplate.
    Keep in mind that limited vertical directivity, especially in a tower speaker, has very significant sonic benefits by reducing both floor and ceiling reflections... The design of our towers, even the dome versions, have limited vertical directivity. It is one of the main reasons for the somewhat unusual design of placing the midrange driver above the tweeter. That and providing a more defined acoustic center for a 3-way.

When it comes down to comparing the vertical directivity of a 29mm dome versus the ribbon in the tower, we are really only talking about an increase of ~ +/- 5 degs, which isn't much... At 10 feet back, the vertical listening window expands by only ~ +/- 10 inches.

I see the major benefits of the diamond tweeter being the delicacy and transparency of our ribbon sound, combined with that more forward in-your-face type sound and edge that dome tweeter fans love. The dispersion of this tweeter is already exceptionally good, but until I am able to take polar measurements of a completed design - I can't really get too deep into any dispersion advantages (if any)...

We compared this against nearly every other tweeter we had here at my facility - and the complete lack of compression and distortion, combined with the extremely ribbon-like open and airy sound was very surprising.
    ... Tweeters like the diamond are designed for accuracy, purity and transparency ...
    Last edited by N Boros; 01-25-2017 at 07:39 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by rsmt2000 View Post
    Can you please elaborate why you feel so?
    Room aesthetics? In my head big standmounters will look less goofy next to my giant subs than floorstanding speakers.

And because they are big floor-standing speakers with a 40hz port tuning? I wouldn't be surprised if you could make them much smaller or remove a woofer if you raised the tuning to 80hz though I imagine you would want to go for something like 60-70 really if you were gonna cross at 80 just to have a smoother crossover.

I think dave could make a killing if he made a HT focused 3way bookshelf designed from the start to be used with a GOOD subwoofer system crossed like 80-120hz. Something sealed or front ported for more placement options but could match the performance of the towers when paired with a subwoofer.

I have been considering a custom slim horizon to add a center to my system, and I've been worried because it's going to be a cramped fit and it got me to thinking how much of that extra volume is there for that last 40hz which I will NEVER use in a center?

Regardless I am also interested in the diamonds simply because I am interested in bookshelves around the 10k range with a more radiating tweeter pattern. I love the raals, but my listening environment is my living room which is a short wide room connected to my kitchen. This means that you are often too close to the RAALs, so that when you are standing, you are outside of the focused part of the sound. It doesn't effect them at all from the seated position so it's not a make or break kinda issue, but I figure it can't hurt to keep it in mind. I really need to hear the Focal Sopra No1 and the Dynaudio Contour20s, they both have interesting tweeters, what would I assume be more or less the competitors to this diamond tweeter.

That said the speaker I am currently most intrigued by is the TAD Micro Evolution One. The idea of a 3way speaker in such a tiny package tickles my brain, though it's the heritage that really has me interested. If they can come even close to their bigger siblings then /drool.

No matter what I am genuinely interested to see what dave can make if he was a similar ~10k pricepoint, because I understand that sometimes better things really do just cost more, and I trust that if Dave does choose to pursue a speaker with a tweeter like this, it's because he believes that cost warrants the upgrade and is not just some token upgrade .

Oh also, the other nice thing with bookshelves is they are easier to store, so I can have multiples and rotate them out.

Quote Originally Posted by rsmt2000 View Post
    I am interested in the towers. Please release both the bookshelves and the towers at the same time.😀
    These will all be custom builds - so a tower version can easily be designed based off the final bookshelf design. If you are serious, please contact me via email and we can start discussing various options.
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com

Will you build one for yourself (or Ascend) and place it in the listening room? This tickles my fancy more and more, but I think I'd want to hear it first. And if it's a 2 way, I'd prefer front ports! But the towers interest me even more. If you're going to spend that much money on tweeters, why not just go all out with the highest quality mid and woofers. Maybe the full range driver is that good and the diamond tweeter can plumb to extremely low frequencies (for a tweeter)??? I trust your ability to match and integrate the drivers together.
    Last edited by bkdc; 02-14-2017 at 05:01 AM.

Will you build one for yourself (or Ascend) and place it in the listening room? This tickles my fancy more and more, but I think I'd want to hear it first. And if it's a 2 way, I'd prefer front ports! But the towers interest me even more. If you're going to spend that much money on tweeters, why not just go all out with the highest quality mid and woofers. Maybe the full range driver is that good and the diamond tweeter can plumb to extremely low frequencies (for a tweeter)??? I trust your ability to match and integrate the drivers together.
    Yep - that's the plan. I will be building a pair to keep in our listening room and offer it as a custom product. I will use these exact same tweeters to eventually play with in a tower version as well.
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com

Hi David,

Since you entertained the idea of a diamond tweeter, have you ever entertained the idea of a diamond woofer? I believe the Raidho D-series uses one. It seems like you get the speed/impulse response of a high end metal driver like beryllium, but with all the positives of a non-metal driver like better damping.

I figure if you are going to go with a diamond tweeter, you would also want an equally fast woofer to keep up with the tweeter. Or heck, even just go the Raidho route by combining a ribbon with a diamond woofer.