Page 18 of 37 FirstFirst ... 1314151617181920212223 ... LastLast

Thread: Diamond Tweeter?

Default Re: Diamond Tweeter?

Quote Originally Posted by bclark8923 View Post
    Awesome

Has any pricing ranges been announced yet? Just curious how much I have to start saving :P
    At this point I think Dave is just experimenting.
    -curtis

Awesome

Has any pricing ranges been announced yet? Just curious how much I have to start saving :P
    It sounds like it would be at least $6,800 just to cover the tweeters. That doesn't include the crossovers and any modification to the cabinet needs to make everything work. So if you plan on having the diamond tweeters in the Luna cabinet, then I'd guess at least the cost of a pair of Lunas plus $6,800. For a Sierra 2, at least the cost of a pair of Sierra 2s plus $6,800. And so on.

Quote Originally Posted by davef View Post
    Claus then tells me he has something he wants me to hear... He breaks out this small mysterious box, revealing two very well protected objects that look like tweeters. I have been a tweeter guy since I started in this industry so he instantly had my interest.

To my surprise, he unwrapped 2 of the new SEAS White Diamond tweeters. My first thoughts were, wow, stunning craftsmanship but with a retail price of $6800 for (2) tweeters, I really wasn't too interested.

Claus eventually convinced me to measure and have a listen...

15 mins turned into 2 hours rather quickly...

Everyone here also wanted to have a listen...

I have evaluated countless numbers of dome tweeters in my 30+ years in this industry. From cheap $4.00 domes to the highest quality BE domes.. This diamond dome left me speechless, literally.
    For me, I don't think that I would consider implementing these in the Luna cabinets, since Dave goes on to say this:

I know the next question will be "well how does it compare to a RAAL ribbon?" -- truth is, it has a ribbon quality to the highs but does upper mids better, and has practically unlimited power and dynamics when properly implemented.
    It seems that putting them into a small Luna cabinet with the smaller woofer as the only midrange and bass driver would severely limit this tweeter's output capabilities. If I were going to spend at least $6800 just for the tweeters alone and then around another $1500 for the Luna cabinets and bass/midrange drivers, why not spend just an extra $1500 to get it in a tower or Horizon form factor with much more dynamic range and the improvements in the midrange to go with it. Unless of course these were going to be used as surround speakers and that much more compact form factor was needed. If that is the case, let me know where you live so I stop by to hear how these diamond tweeters sound in a 5.1 setup.
    Last edited by N Boros; 05-08-2018 at 02:26 PM.

Would we be able to use the new tweeter on the Luna's?
    Yes, with some minor customization work.

Awesome

These are the finest dome tweeters money can buy, but with a current retail price of $7152 per pair, they are quite cost prohibitive. I would say, on average, using a pair of these tweeters in any of our products would add ~$6K to our asking price.
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com

Yes, with some minor customization work.

These are the finest dome tweeters money can buy, but with a current retail price of $7152 per pair, they are quite cost prohibitive. I would say, on average, using a pair of these tweeters in any of our products would add ~$6K to our asking price.
    Is the previously quoted price of $7,500 for the Sierra Diamond with upgraded CURV woofer still accurate or is that possibly changing? If not, how much is upgraded Seas Curv new woofer going to add to the asking price?

Second question, isn't the Seas T29D001 usually installed in a vertical orientation (the Seas website and also retail speakers with this driver are usually oriented this way). However the Luna test speaker you used put the vertical notch in the 3 o'clock position. Was this done for acoustic reasons?

june2015_1[2].jpg

t29d001-e0100[2].jpg

RPe4Ypa[1].jpg
    Last edited by Asliang; 05-14-2018 at 11:16 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Asliang View Post
    Is the previously quoted price of $7,500 for the Sierra Diamond with upgraded CURV woofer still accurate or is that possibly changing? If not, how much is upgraded Seas Curv new woofer going to add to the asking price?
    I don't believe I have quoted a price with the Diamond tweeter and prototype Curv midrange woofers. As I mentioned previously, it is best to discuss this by email. I will not quote firm prices for custom speakers on a public forum.

Quote Originally Posted by Asliang View Post
    Second question, isn't the Seas T29D001 usually installed in a vertical orientation (the Seas website and also retail speakers with this driver are usually oriented this way). However the Luna test speaker you used put the vertical notch in the 3 o'clock position. Was this done for acoustic reasons?
    The tweeter offers symmetrical dispersion. The orientation of this tweeter does not matter. The "vertical notch" you mention is simply a lens to protect the diamond dome and is specifically designed to not interfere with dispersion. We would orient the tweeter in any way the customer prefers.
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com

Something special arrived today.....
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com

Hubba hubba! A nice tower speaker to exploit those jewels would be nice.

Did they arrive chained to a guys wrist?

Quote Originally Posted by Mag_Neato View Post
    Hubba hubba! A nice tower speaker to exploit those jewels would be nice.
    Yep - this pair is actually going into a pair of towers...

Quote Originally Posted by merrymaid520 View Post
    Did they arrive chained to a guys wrist?
    The delivery came with a large supply of Sierra-2 woofers. I warned the guys in advance that these will be on the pallet somewhere and that when they find them, to immediately put them on my desk. When I got to the office, I then locked them away in my office after I checked spacing to make sure they properly fit in the tower cabinet. I actually get a bit nervous handling these
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com

Looking forward to seeing the end product....and hearing feedback on how they sound!