Thread: Diamond Tweeter?

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Diamond Tweeter?

Just yesterday I had the pleasure of having Claus from SEAS visit us for the day. We spent most of the time discussing our forthcoming Sierra Sat and about potential new business and new products. We have been working directly with SEAS now for 15 years -- hard to believe it but where has the time gone???

Claus then tells me he has something he wants me to hear... He breaks out this small mysterious box, revealing two very well protected objects that look like tweeters. I have been a tweeter guy since I started in this industry so he instantly had my interest.

To my surprise, he unwrapped 2 of the new SEAS White Diamond tweeters. My first thoughts were, wow, stunning craftsmanship but with a retail price of $6800 for (2) tweeters, I really wasn't too interested.

Claus eventually convinced me to measure and have a listen...

15 mins turned into 2 hours rather quickly...

Everyone here also wanted to have a listen...

I have evaluated countless numbers of dome tweeters in my 30+ years in this industry. From cheap $4.00 domes to the highest quality BE domes.. This diamond dome left me speechless, literally.

I know the next question will be "well how does it compare to a RAAL ribbon?" -- truth is, it has a ribbon quality to the highs but does upper mids better, and has practically unlimited power and dynamics when properly implemented.

For those of our customers who prefer the sound of a dome tweeter, let me tell you it simply doesn't get any better than this.

Sadly, my time with Claus came to an end but we left with discussion about the possibilities of making us our own version of this tweeter that would be a drop-in-replacement (with new crossover) for any of our Sierra dome speakers. It is simply the most expensive tweeter I have ever come across and we could not afford to stock them here, but I am thinking we might have customers interested in what would likely be the finest dome tweeter bookshelf or tower speaker on the market.

There is one 2-way bookshelf speaker out there that is using this tweeter, and the speaker retails for $25K/pair. Of course, we would be able to match or exceed this performance and offer the speaker for much less. Each would be custom ordered with likely a 4-6 week lead time - but Dina and Joe are convinced we would have interested customers.

So naturally, I'm a bit curious. Anyone interested in a "diamond" line?

I have a attached a few pics from yesterday.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com