Page 21 of 37 FirstFirst ... 1617181920212223242526 ... LastLast

Thread: Diamond Tweeter?

Default Re: Diamond Tweeter?

Quote Originally Posted by jimb View Post
    ... plasma ...
    Indeed... this would be the ultimate solution. The new plasma tweeter from Lansche looks very interesting and is supposedly capable of being crossed at 1500Hz. Only problem is that this line of speakers starts at $32K for a 2-way bookshelf...

I had once asked my cousin, who is a PHD'd engineer working at a particle accelerator, to design me one for consumers that also isn't a health hazard (typical plasma tweeters emit ozone). I am going to send him a reminder....
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com

Quote Originally Posted by Asliang View Post
    Would love to hear the Sierra Diamond monitors. Dave, are you going to put out your personal pair for demo or are you waiting on additional drivers? Any possible ETA on when a demo might be available? Thanks
    My personal pair of 2-way diamond tweeter bookshelf speakers will be kept here at the office, and yes -- without question they will be available for demo.... Not sure of the timing just yet, but soon...
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com

Quote Originally Posted by davef View Post
    Indeed... this would be the ultimate solution. The new plasma tweeter from Lansche looks very interesting and is supposedly capable of being crossed at 1500Hz. Only problem is that this line of speakers starts at $32K for a 2-way bookshelf...

I had once asked my cousin, who is a PHD'd engineer working at a particle accelerator, to design me one for consumers that also isn't a health hazard (typical plasma tweeters emit ozone). I am going to send him a reminder....
    That will take a hardcore audiophile to get a speaker with a plasma tweeter, unless your cousin can solve this issue. Not only do they have to be comfortable with the price-point, but they have to wear a respirator while they listen to the speaker.

We will miss them...

Last pic I took before we shipped them out. Spent about 10 hours in total A/B'ing...
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com

Hey David,

Regarding the new prototype Seas curv woofers, where do these woofers sit in the Seas hierarchy? Have you been able to measure them? I would how they would fare in terms of blending with the diamond tweeter compared to Seas excel or exotica woofers. When Seas offered the prototype Curv driver, were these drivers designed specifically to be paired with the diamond tweeter or came from an unrelated project?

Quote Originally Posted by Asliang View Post
    Hey David,

Regarding the new prototype Seas curv woofers, where do these woofers sit in the Seas hierarchy? Have you been able to measure them? I would how they would fare in terms of blending with the diamond tweeter compared to Seas excel or exotica woofers. When Seas offered the prototype Curv driver, were these drivers designed specifically to be paired with the diamond tweeter or came from an unrelated project?
    I am not going to discuss performance or measurements regarding custom designed prototype parts in a public forum. I understand you are excited about auditioning the bookshelf version of this speaker, but please email me regarding questions like this.
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com

Dave,
    I like the a.v. table in the photo--would you mind sharing where you got it? Thanks.

Steve

Quote Originally Posted by shinny View Post
    Dave,
    I like the a.v. table in the photo--would you mind sharing where you got it? Thanks.

Steve
    It was from Omnimount but I no longer see it on their site.
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com

Quote Originally Posted by davef View Post
    We will miss them...

Last pic I took before we shipped them out. Spent about 10 hours in total A/B'ing...
    Can you provide a brief impression from your A/B'ing?

Quote Originally Posted by Sam1000 View Post
    Can you provide a brief impression from your A/B'ing?
    There is definitely a difference in overall timbre. With the white diamond tweeter, treble is more pronounced and the tweeter makes itself known. It is more forward sounding than the RAAL and does better at very high volume levels but it also never sounds fatiguing and there is simply no hint at all of any sibilance or strain. It is extremely transparent, perhaps even more so than the RAAL 70-20 and it does reveal more detail - which becomes evident with very complex passages.

I give the edge to the 70-20 with metallic sounds such as cymbals and really anything with impact because as good as the white diamond tweeter is, it can not match the transient accuracy of the 70-20.

As to which I actually preferred -- it really came down to what I was listening to. For music with many instruments playing at the same time, I preferred the white diamond. For loud rock, also the white diamond. But for acoustic guitar, or music with metallic impact instruments (any type of cymbal, triangles, bells etc) I found the 70-20 to be sound more realistic.

Imaging between the 2 was very different -- and I didn't really have a preference one way or another but for listeners who prefer a first row type of experience, they would definitely prefer the imaging of white diamond. For those who prefer something more laid back, I would then guess the RAAL 70-20.

Is the white diamond tweeter worth the significant expense over the RAAL 70-20xram? For some listeners, I would say yes but before anyone considers this expense, it is important to discuss with me. I highly doubt any professional has done as extensive A/B'ing between these 2 tweeters as I have and most likely, very few professionals have even listened to this rather remarkable tweeter....
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com