Quote Originally Posted by billy p View Post
I guess...I'm in the minority, I suppose but a properly integrated sub & speakers would be superior to having full range towers. I'd rather have the mass moving ability...of a large driver(15-18") vs that of a full range towers with 8" woofs(~28-35hz)....its not even close when I compare the two in my current set up...a good sub is far more capable option...YMMV.
Billy,

Actually, I believe you and I are in the Majority! Full range larger 10+ octave tower speaker systems (w\active bass sections) are not only much costlier to design and implement successfully, but are much more limiting in "complete room acoustical integration" compared to well designed 2-way mains + servo subs (ex: Sierra 2's + Rythmik)! The freedom to "tune-in" and obtain a sharp natural focus of the top end for superior imaging and sound stage with a small cabinet monitor is very advantageous. The freedom to minimize room interaction nulls and peaks with a specialized sub unit(s) placement in the bottom end is also very desirable.

I can understand there are room set ups and challenges that larger full range tower designs would better accommodate. It will be interesting to see what Dave and Brian come up with. However if speaker placements are not an issue (due to living arrangements, room dimensions, etc), it is hard to beat a finely tuned well matched Full-Range sub\satellite system! For me and my audio 2.1-channel music room and our 5.1 HT living room, we have "live" sound that is always enjoyable! And yes, YMWV!

And now, back to our regularly scheduled "diamond in the rough" programing...

Ted