Thread: Diamond Tweeter?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Post Re: Diamond Tweeter?

Quote Originally Posted by davef View Post
    So naturally, I'm a bit curious. Anyone interested in a "diamond" line?
    Very interesting Dave! Just Yesterday morning, I was showing my best half the Seas T29D001 from Madisound..she loved the looks of the acrylic rear chamber (though it was Swarovski crystal...go figure)! I'm sure it does sound incredible and has its place, but...

My impression is that a dome of this esoteric caliper would be 5 to 6x the investment cost of the RAAL with over 30x more moving mass. A RAAL replacement ribbon is about $50-$75...B&W Diamond dome repair, about $1,300! For a no holds bared speaker system design where price is the Last consideration, sure, the diamond domes are probably one of the top high range transducers in the audio market. Would a huge jump in system cost implementation to achieve a marginal upper midrange improvement be worth it???

Although I've not yet heard the Ascend custom RAAL design systems, if they are in another league in accurate and natural high frequency reproduction (compared to my S1 NrT upgrade), other than gaining more vertical dispersion characteristics with an extremely expensive dome design, I believe Ascend has already overall achieved fantastic "Dollar Value" speaker reproduction systems!

Just my 2 cents (from a NrT dome lover)!!

Ted
    Last edited by theophile; 04-23-2016 at 09:56 AM.
    Sierra RAAL V2 Towers, Axiom EP 500 Sub, Morrow SP7 Grand Reference Speaker Cables, Phillips CD880 XLR Balanced Variable Line Output to Orchard Audio Strakrimson 375w/per ch Stereo Ultra GaNFET Amp..... (Dedicated 2.1 Acoustical Music Listening Room)!