Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Super noob saying hi from Virginia

Default Super noob saying hi from Virginia

Hi everyone. I'm new to everything. My speakers have been limited to cheap external computer speakers or internal speakers from my laptop. I recently lost my father to cancer and just a couple weeks ago I received news that a friend has been diagnosed with stage 4 stomach cancer at the young age of 34.

As a workaholic, these recent events have made me re-evaluate my life. I have decided to make some lifestyle changes. Diet, exercise and sleep are tenets of a healthy lifestyle. The other big one is stress, and that's where I'm hoping the new speakers from Ascend Acoustics will fill in the gap.

I placed an order for the Sierra-2 and the Rythmik subwoofer a couple days ago in hopes of enjoying my life more. I'm hoping to chill and reduce some stress in my life listening to music and maybe add some years onto my life.

It's been an expensive journey. I started the journey with an initial budget of $300 max. After feverishly researching speakers, subwoofers, amplifiers, DACs, etc the past couple of weeks, I spent $2500 total for my setup with a mere few clicks of my mouse!

Of course, the obligatory, "my wife doesn't approve" but she doesn't approve of a lot of things.

Sorry about the dramatic introduction
    Last edited by adamk77; 04-20-2016 at 01:58 PM.

Default Re: Super noob saying hi from Virginia

Hi Adamk77,
    I too am new to the threads. I also have FCR Sierra 2's with HTM 200 rears and an F8 sub. You will be more than happy with your purchase. I also have a NAD T558 in the living room and T748 in the bedroom. You will be able to get whatever sound you desire for whatever source you are playing. You will also have the ability to change to your liking with the press of a button. Enjoy your new toys. Watch out for the upgrade bug.

That's a great story, Adam, thank you for sharing!

Indeed, relaxing to some great music or movies at the end of a day is the best form of escapism and enjoyment I can think of anymore, and the Sierra speakers allow me to do it without my attention swinging back to my normal stress that I spend too much time on as it is.

You're a smart man to get what you want from the get go instead of doing it cheaply and wasting your money. What did you end up getting for electronics for your Sirra 2 and Sub? Which sub did you pick?

Please post thoughts once you have listened to it all! If you have any questions, we all love to help around here. It's a great group of people.

Thank you for the warm welcome @gas and @sludgeogre.

You're absolutely right. I'm already regretting my decision to purchase a lower model of the receiver so I could save a couple hundred bucks instead of spending a bit extra to get what I really wanted. I rationalized by telling myself that I only need the subwoofer pre-out and not the pre-outs for the other channels. After placing the order, I learned about something called PEQ for subwoofers and was excited to try it out, only to realize that my model doesn't support it lol. And today, my wife is talking about wanting to move to a bigger house.

I purchased the Yamaha RX-A750 as the receiver and the Rythmik Direct Servo 12" compact subwoofer. I currently live in an end unit townhouse, so I hope I'm not going to regret purchasing a subwoofer. I listen to all genres, including EDM so I appreciate some good thumping base. Keeping my fingers crossed!
    Last edited by adamk77; 04-20-2016 at 06:10 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by adamk77 View Post
    Thank you for the warm welcome @gas and @sludgeogre.

You're absolutely right. I'm already regretting my decision to purchase a lower model of the receiver so I could save a couple hundred bucks instead of spending a bit extra to get what I really wanted. I rationalized by telling myself that I only need the subwoofer pre-out and not the pre-outs for the other channels. After placing the order, I learned about something called PEQ for subwoofers and was excited to try it out, only to realize that my model doesn't support it lol. And today, my wife is talking about wanting to move to a bigger house.

I purchased the Yamaha RX-A750 as the receiver and the Rythmik Direct Servo 12" compact subwoofer. I currently live in an end unit townhouse, so I hope I'm not going to regret purchasing a subwoofer. I listen to all genres, including EDM so I appreciate some good thumping base. Keeping my fingers crossed!
    Don't worry too much. I did the same thing with my pre/pro, but I really don't regret it at this stage. The Rythmik subs are so precise and beautiful, I don't feel like they need any more help from the receiver. All you really need to do is make sure you dial in the distance correctly and you're golden.

Rythmik makes a couple of 12" subs and I have a pair of F12 subs. I live in a duplex and my neighbors have not complained once. I also have the subs on SVS SoundPath isolaton feet, but I doubt they are doing a lot to help, aside from decoupling the subs from the floor.

The key thing with Rythmik subs (in my experience, with my subwoofers) is that they come with a rumble filter, most importantly, as well as a lot of other properties that you can dial in. The rumble filter really makes bass stay exceptionally clean. I don't even notice them at night when I'm asleep and my girlfriend watches movies (but she doesn't watch things nearly as loud as I do )

If you really want to rock some EDM, turn off the rumble filter and try some different slopes and crossover settings and see how it works. The thing is, because of the servo technology, Rythmik subs are really hard to overdrive, so they don't bottom out and go crazy flubby, which is when you can really hear a subwoofer. They always sound clean and precise, even when filling the entire room with bass.

Hi everyone. I'm new to everything. My speakers have been limited to cheap external computer speakers or internal speakers from my laptop. I recently lost my father to cancer and just a couple weeks ago I received news that a friend has been diagnosed with stage 4 stomach cancer at the young age of 34.

As a workaholic, these recent events have made me re-evaluate my life. I have decided to make some lifestyle changes. Diet, exercise and sleep are tenets of a healthy lifestyle. The other big one is stress, and that's where I'm hoping the new speakers from Ascend Acoustics will fill in the gap.

I placed an order for the Sierra-2 and the Rythmik subwoofer a couple days ago in hopes of enjoying my life more. I'm hoping to chill and reduce some stress in my life listening to music and maybe add some years onto my life.

It's been an expensive journey. I started the journey with an initial budget of $300 max. After feverishly researching speakers, subwoofers, amplifiers, DACs, etc the past couple of weeks, I spent $2500 total for my setup with a mere few clicks of my mouse!

Of course, the obligatory, "my wife doesn't approve" but she doesn't approve of a lot of things.

Sorry about the dramatic introduction
    Welcome to the family Adam! I fully agree, I have yet to find a better stress reliever than simply turning off the lights, relaxing on the couch, and listening to an hour or two of good music. Doesn't even matter what genre. I always feel completely refreshed after the listening session, it is extremely meditative
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com

Welcome Adam, I too am a noob and I just wanted to say that Sludge, Curtis, Dave, and Mag are very helpful and I have felt welcome from the beginning. With my lack of knowledge I was afraid that maybe my dumb questions would be left unanswered or not taken seriously but they have been great. The products are great and the people might be even greater. Enjoy.

That puts me more at ease. Thanks for the heads up on the rumble filter. I didn't know it existed on the Rythmik sub until you mentioned! This will definitely be very useful.

Quote Originally Posted by sludgeogre View Post
    Rythmik makes a couple of 12" subs and I have a pair of F12 subs. I live in a duplex and my neighbors have not complained once. I also have the subs on SVS SoundPath isolaton feet, but I doubt they are doing a lot to help, aside from decoupling the subs from the floor.
    When you mentioned "isolation feet" I remembered a question I wanted to ask. I've had these speaker stands from IsoAcoustics that's been collecting dust. When I ordered the speakers, I planned on setting them on top of the IsoAcoustics stands on my desk. I am questioning whether this is a good idea, because the speakers will be fairly close to me. They will be 4 feet apart, and I will be sitting maybe 3-4 feet away. I'm wondering if I can get better audio quality if I purchase a stand and sit maybe 6 feet away from the speakers?

If sitting further away will mean better sound quality, then I think I need to come up with some DYI solution for speaker stands until I can replenish my bank account.

Quote Originally Posted by 14er View Post
    Welcome Adam, I too am a noob and I just wanted to say that Sludge, Curtis, Dave, and Mag are very helpful and I have felt welcome from the beginning. With my lack of knowledge I was afraid that maybe my dumb questions would be left unanswered or not taken seriously but they have been great. The products are great and the people might be even greater. Enjoy.
    Quote Originally Posted by davef View Post
    Welcome to the family Adam! I fully agree, I have yet to find a better stress reliever than simply turning off the lights, relaxing on the couch, and listening to an hour or two of good music. Doesn't even matter what genre. I always feel completely refreshed after the listening session, it is extremely meditative
    Thanks 14er and davef!

I hope to spoil my ears soon

That puts me more at ease. Thanks for the heads up on the rumble filter. I didn't know it existed on the Rythmik sub until you mentioned! This will definitely be very useful.

When you mentioned "isolation feet" I remembered a question I wanted to ask. I've had these speaker stands from IsoAcoustics that's been collecting dust. When I ordered the speakers, I planned on setting them on top of the IsoAcoustics stands on my desk. I am questioning whether this is a good idea, because the speakers will be fairly close to me. They will be 4 feet apart, and I will be sitting maybe 3-4 feet away. I'm wondering if I can get better audio quality if I purchase a stand and sit maybe 6 feet away from the speakers?

If sitting further away will mean better sound quality, then I think I need to come up with some DYI solution for speaker stands until I can replenish my bank account.
    In my experience, stands make a pretty big difference versus having the speakers on a desk because the plane of the desk screws with them. I haven't used the IsoAcoustics stands, though, so if they sound a ton better than just being on top of the desk, then maybe stands wouldn't help much.

Dave should weigh in on this one. I don't really have that much experience with this.