Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Audition the Sierra 2 in Columbus Ohio?

Default Audition the Sierra 2 in Columbus Ohio?

I decided to finally get some good small speakers. I have an old set of B&W book shelves and so I went over to Best Buy and ordered some CM5s and a B&W 610 subwoofer.

I then spent some time on the internet and found this site. I'm thinking I should get some Sierra 2's and compact sealed 12 subwoofer and return the B&W stuff. I would like to take a listen if someone local has the Sierras.

My situation:
    My main interest is music with additional use as HT. My listening room is not ideal. I cannot use floor standing and will have to actually use the bookshelf speakers in build in shelving. I expect to cross out of the speakers at around 80hz and perhaps plug the speaker ports.

Default Re: Audition the Sierra 2 in Columbus Ohio?

If you don't mind a 2 hour drive North on I-71 I have the -2's in a music only setup with 12" Rythmik sub!
    Ed

* Sierra-2EX's W/V2 crossover upgrade
    * (2) Rythmik F12's
    * Parasound Halo P6
    * Audio by Van Alstine DVA-M225 Monoblock Amps
    * MiniDSP 2x4HD For Sub calibration
    *World's Best Cables Canare 4S11 speaker cables

Thanks Ed. I'm not sure I am up for it as time won't permit. Have you listened to the CM5s? My guess is your setup is significantly better. I don't mind returning stuff to Best Buy but I would hate to jerk around the folks at Ascend. What are your thoughts?

Eric

I have not heard the B&W's, but I think the Sierra-2's have been compared to the pricier B&W's like the 805's with favorable results. The RAAL is really a game changer.
    Ed

* Sierra-2EX's W/V2 crossover upgrade
    * (2) Rythmik F12's
    * Parasound Halo P6
    * Audio by Van Alstine DVA-M225 Monoblock Amps
    * MiniDSP 2x4HD For Sub calibration
    *World's Best Cables Canare 4S11 speaker cables

I'd just remember the value assessment here, with B&W you're paying them, a distributor, and then best buy, so you're getting marked up twice. Next, the B&W CM5 is made in China, while Ascend speakers are assembled in the US from US made cabinets and RAAL tweeters are had made in Serbia by a family of audio professionals who have been doing it for a long time. The woofer is made by SEAS of Norway, a well-respected and very old company that is known for the quality of their drivers. All of those amazing components are then assembled by hand at Ascend and fully tested with frequency response graphs to prove it. You don't even get a fraction of that from B&W.

Also, the B&W house sound doesn't have the same goal as Ascend, which is to be true to the source recording. I really think you'll be floored by the Sierras.

Quote Originally Posted by EricR View Post
    Thanks Ed. I'm not sure I am up for it as time won't permit. Have you listened to the CM5s? My guess is your setup is significantly better. I don't mind returning stuff to Best Buy but I would hate to jerk around the folks at Ascend. What are your thoughts?

Eric
    Hi Eric,

I have listened to the CM5's dozens of times. Nice speakers for sure, but really more comparable to our Sierra-1 with regards to performance than our Sierra-2. Much depends on what you are looking for from the speakers, detail - imaging - accuracy - mids - highs - lows etc. Feel free to contact me directly.

thanks!
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com

Thanks everyone for the coments. I appreciate the insights. I would like to contact you directly Dave. What is the best way?

Quote Originally Posted by EricR View Post
    Thanks everyone for the coments. I appreciate the insights. I would like to contact you directly Dave. What is the best way?
    You can send me a PM (private message) directly though the forum, or send me an email. My email is davef@ (use our full company name.com)
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com

I'm not so sure it would help any, (Its not exactly what you are considering) but I live in Zanesville, and have a complete Ascend set up. Raal Towers, Horizon, and Sierra 2's (as surrounds) with 2 V1800 PSA's subs ...Between work and racing cars in the summer, I'm gone a lot, but your welcome to come have a listen ..
    Last edited by Wanger 714; 04-26-2016 at 05:07 PM.

All,
    Thought I should give an update...
    I started out buying a pair of B&W CM5s and a 10" B&W sub from Best Buy. I really wanted to be impressed and love them. I wasn't and didn't. After a week I returned them and went back to my old B&W DM302 Prisims which I got used for $200. I actually liked the DM302's better. Must be something wrong with me?

I ordered a pair of Sierra-2's and an F8 subwoofer. As soon as I plugged them in it was clear (no pun intended) that they had the sound I had been looking for. As some of you have said "the ribbon tweeter is a game changer".

I have now listened to them for many hours with varried content. Not all recordings sound good on these, because not all recordings are good. I think some of the problem with poor recordings is the comparision to good recordings. These speakers sure do shine when playing good content.

Another thing... even my wife (not to sound sexist, but she never really cared or noticed differences in sound systems) and my 89 year-old mother appreciate the improvement. Bottom line... I am very satisfied and would reccommend this system highly.