Thread: In Ear Monitors Question

Default In Ear Monitors Question

I'm considering the purchase of one of 2 brands of in-ear monitors, Future Sonics and 1964 ears. These would be custom fit for my daughter (molds by audiologist), who can't seem to keep universal sleeves in her ears.
    The design of the IEM driver(s) is different, so was wondering if anyone has researched and/or has an opinion on the differences.
    Future Sonics use a single dynamic driver, while the 1964 Ears design (and most other companies) uses separate drivers (balance armature design).
    On the surface, it seems the separate drivers would be best (more is better, right?) however the limited comparisons I've found online lead me to believe otherwise.
    Purchase would be primarily for stage / live sound use, so flat / accurate would be best (I think).
    Any opinions?

Default Re: In Ear Monitors Question

This is an esoteric field of audio that I hadn't thought of. Apparently these are for musicians?

Quote Originally Posted by Blutarsky View Post
    This is an esoteric field of audio that I hadn't thought of. Apparently these are for musicians?
    Yes, I should have mentioned that. I know Dave has talked about folks using Sierras for studio / near field work, so was thinking perhaps someone in that area might be lurking about.

These would come with molded ear pieces for a custom (and nearly airtight fit). It allows the musician to hear a custom mix to their liking, without hearing anything they don't want.

I poked around their websites and they can be used for home audio...the top end ones had 9 drivers and custom fit. I think the companies need to market them to a wider swath of consumer.

Thanks for widening my horizon.

B.

Yes, I'm sure they would sound amazing with a good headphone amp and a digital source (iPhone, etc.). The issue is they are very expensive, particularly with the custom ear molds.

Hey Jaybeez, I just saw your post. If you are still considering this I am happy to visit with you. I have a fair amount of experience with IEMs because I have to use them at least weekly for live stage monitoring. I have had several pairs of custom molds, but I think my ear is unfriendly to the custom mold concept because they never seal well. I use westone UM Pro50s with comply tips. Comply make, by far the best, most comfortable foam sleeves. They offer them in several different sizes and lengths, as well as different materials for different uses and environments. Westone IEMS have the least fatiguing monitoring experience in my experience. The high end Shure stuff (SE 846) is fantastic, but I get tired of having them in my ears and they are heavier too.

I have a coworker that has some futuresonics customs and loves them. He thinks the transducer gives a more dynamic bass experience. He also has some 6 driver Ultimate Ears that he likes, but not as much as the FS. The mold is critical, particularly if she issuing to be a bassist or drummer. Also, don't expect the mold to be right the first time. They almost aways have to be adjusted. So, custom molds are a trial and error, two to three month journey to get correct.

OH! Whatever you do, purchase IEMs that have detachable, replaceable cables! Most good ones do now, but I mention this because it sucks to send a $1000 set of IEMs back for a non warranty replacement of a cable. The cable is the most obvious failure point also...

Peace!

Just seeing this, and thanks for the input.
    My daughter just can't keep foam sleeve in her ears (she's a singer) so thinking the mold route would be best.
    We have a connection with Futuresonics so will probably go that route.
    I'll make sure we have the detachable cable. She has a tendency to abuse gear, so that's a good call.
    Thanks.

If you have access to any decent universal IEMs, you may order some small comply tips first. It would cost you less than $20 and may be a fix...it was for me. http://www.complyfoam.com

I love the isolation tips

2nd the rec for Comply. I use them over the custom molded tips I once had made. Cheaper, more comfortable, sound better.

I wear them all the time for 1000's of miles of running. And they fit a few diff pairs of good quality IEM's (I like the westones U..3 best).
    Last edited by Blingleberry; 06-28-2016 at 02:04 PM.