Thread: Bitstream vs. PCM out

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Bitstream vs. PCM out

Just thought I'd share my experience in case it helps anyone. I recently bought a universal disc player (Marantz UD5007) to play my growing collection of multichannel SACDs, DVD-A, and other hi-res phys media. I'm running it through a Yamaha HTR-3066 (low end AVR).

In my previous set up (soundbar) I had to use bitstream out of my LG blu-ray player because the soundbar did all the decoding, so out of habit I set the Marantz to bitstream (which I believe was the default). Fine, no problem. While the SACD mch discs blew me away, I didn't hear *that* much of a difference with the other formats (blu-ray, dvd-video, etc.)

I was a little bummed, but I figured that bits are bits so maybe high end players are moot unless you're using analog outs. I accepted that universal disc players are more expensive, and that was the price of admission to the multichannel obsession I find myself in. No problem, but it was a bit of a disappointment.

Then I Googled the difference between PCM and bitstream out, and thought it might make a difference so I decided to give it a try, and the results are...can I say OOOMMMMMGGGGG on a family site?? My wife was in the kitchen while I was A/B'ing the PCM vs. Bitstream output (with the insanely amazing Talking Heads Remain In Light 5.1) and she came out during the PCM and said "that sounds way, way deeper and better" (deeper meaning depth, not bass extension). I absolutely agree.

I guess the difference has to do with the decoding? The Marantz is just better at handling that stuff? Does anyone know exactly? I figured I was bypassing the player's DACs either way, but I guess I was wrong? What is it in the Marantz that is making it sound better?

Bottom line, if you have a good player and so-so AVR like me, and are using bitstream out, give PCM a try. Now the Marantz sounds like a $350 player and not the same as the $90 it replaced. I honestly don't understand all this stuff yet, how the various stages and digital, DAC, etc. all work and where the value gets added in the signal chain, but all I can is: "Give PCM a chance"--hey, might be a song there

Might be old news to many of you, but I was blown away. Thanks for reading.

LR: CBM 170 SE
    Center: HTM 200 SE
    Surrounds/Subs: Other
    Last edited by surroundnewbie; 04-02-2016 at 04:08 PM.