Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Sierra2 port chuffing

Default Re: Sierra2 port chuffing

I guess I assumed it was a normal feature as my buddies 40 year old Marantz 2270 has it. BAH!!
    marantz_2270_rear_panel.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by SAFETYpin View Post
    I guess I assumed it was a normal feature as my buddies 40 year old Marantz 2270 has it. BAH!!
    marantz_2270_rear_panel.jpg
    Yeah, my Dad's very old McIntosh C26 preamp has a tape loop on it for recording, same kind of thing (I think...). It also has a weird center channel mix thing that it does. It's a neat preamp.
    -Alex
    PS4/Nvidia Shield --> Emotiva XMC-1 --> Emotiva XPA-5 --> Ascend Acoustics Sierra Towers and Horizon Center w/ RAAL tweeters (L/C/R), HTM-200 SE (Surrounds), 2x Rythmik F12 subwoofers

Well I purchased the Schiit SYS too, but I'm really not happy about it. Seems like such a huge waste to not use the Preamp section of the Yamaha, also I lose remote control for volume duties... I should have just bought an AVR....

Well I purchased the Schiit SYS too, but I'm really not happy about it. Seems like such a huge waste to not use the Preamp section of the Yamaha, also I lose remote control for volume duties... I should have just bought an AVR....
    I can understand your frustration, and I am not going to advocate that you spend more money.

That said, I think your best solution, if you do not want to do an AVR, is separate pre-amp/amp combo with the miniDSP in between. Although, I might be stating the obvious at this point...if so, I apologize.
    -curtis

Quote Originally Posted by curtis View Post
    I can understand your frustration, and I am not going to advocate that you spend more money.

That said, I think your best solution, if you do not want to do an AVR, is separate pre-amp/amp combo with the miniDSP in between. Although, I might be stating the obvious at this point...if so, I apologize.
    Yeah, the integrated amp is what makes this difficult. If you can return the Yamaha and go with separates then you won't have this problem. Schiit will hopefully be making preamps with remote controls very soon as well, but yeah, more money.
    -Alex
    PS4/Nvidia Shield --> Emotiva XMC-1 --> Emotiva XPA-5 --> Ascend Acoustics Sierra Towers and Horizon Center w/ RAAL tweeters (L/C/R), HTM-200 SE (Surrounds), 2x Rythmik F12 subwoofers

More follow up.

The MiniDSP 2x4 HD has an IR sensor and can also function as the DAC and PREAMP. This significantly simplifies the signal chain and I don't need the Schiit Modi or SYS, plus I retain remote control functionality . Setting up a HPF for the Mains at the Sub Xover (60hz) really improved the low freq clarity, and completely fixed the objectionable port noise I was getting in the select tracks from my original post. Next up I'll start learning about Room Correction and the Do/Don'ts of that rabbit hole.

I did try to use the Modi/SYS with the MiniDSP but the volume control of the SYS was really odd. At low volumes I would just get high frequencies and as I increased the volume the frequency response would begin to balance out. This made normal TV watching or any listening below a "Loud" volume very irritating. I don't know if this is just a normal characteristic of a Passive PRE amp or caused by something else in my signal chain.

More follow up.

The MiniDSP 2x4 HD has an IR sensor and can also function as the DAC and PREAMP. This significantly simplifies the signal chain and I don't need the Schiit Modi or SYS, plus I retain remote control functionality . Setting up a HPF for the Mains at the Sub Xover (60hz) really improved the low freq clarity, and completely fixed the objectionable port noise I was getting in the select tracks from my original post. Next up I'll start learning about Room Correction and the Do/Don'ts of that rabbit hole.

I did try to use the Modi/SYS with the MiniDSP but the volume control of the SYS was really odd. At low volumes I would just get high frequencies and as I increased the volume the frequency response would begin to balance out. This made normal TV watching or any listening below a "Loud" volume very irritating. I don't know if this is just a normal characteristic of a Passive PRE amp or caused by something else in my signal chain.
    That is great news! Didn't realize that the MiniDSP would sound that great as a DAC as well. Not sure why you're getting that issue with the SYS, might be due to a lower line level that it is designed for? Anyhow, maybe you can just return the Schiit gear and spend the extra cash on more music
    -Alex