Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Sierra2 port chuffing

Default Re: Sierra2 port chuffing

Or go separates with Emotiva. The XSP-1 has an amazing bass management system and it is $1k. Get whatever external amp you want or splurge and get an XPA-2 Gen 3. The Gen 2's are out there for pretty cheap used as well.

https://emotiva.com/products/pres-and-pros/xsp-1

Quote Originally Posted by SAFETYpin View Post
    I believe Dave's opinion is its port noise. Due to a lack of bass management on my amp, the speakers are receiving full range. These specific tracks have a lot of content in a frequency below the tuning of the speaker port.
    Yes, it is just port noise. Deep bass content (below port tune frequency) at even moderate volume levels will always cause port noise in any ported speaker.
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com

Just to continue the conversation some. I pulled the trigger and purchased a Yamaha A-S2000, this will allow me to run a DSP and setup a HPF to the Sierra2s. Now I need to purchase a DSP and a DAC.

YamahaA2000side.jpg
    YamahaAS200back.jpg

Anyone that's walked this path before care to share what hardware they purchased?

I've researched using a DSP more than once, but never did it. The MiniDSP 2x4 is appearing all over the place, I've even heard that some companies are looking to build them right into their products. It really offers the best bass management and DSP option available by far, especially at the crazy low price they sell it for. They also have a very active and informative community.

https://www.minidsp.com/products/min...ox/minidsp-2x4

Well I purchased a Schiit Modi 2 Uber to replace the loss of the built in DAC of my Yamaha A-S801 and a MiniDSP 2x4HD.
    Last edited by SAFETYpin; 06-03-2016 at 08:28 AM.

Well I purchased a Schiit Modi 2 Uber to replace the loss of the built in DAC of my Yamaha A-S801 and a MiniDSP 2x4HD.
    Right on! Great choice! I have the original Modi and it was my first step into audiophilia, I still remember being so amazed at how great it sounded.

Have fun with the MiniDSP, I haven't used one before, but I have heard many great results. You will have to spend some time tweaking with it, but just having the low pass filter alone makes it worth it. Eventually you may want to buy a UMIK-1 microphone and play around with the DSP filters a little bit.

Hope you enjoy it.

Quote Originally Posted by sludgeogre View Post
    Eventually you may want to buy a UMIK-1 microphone and play around with the DSP filters a little bit.

Hope you enjoy it.
    I already have the UMIK-1 so this just continues the trip down the rabbit hole.

I already have the UMIK-1 so this just continues the trip down the rabbit hole.
    Nice! You are well equipped for the journey. Should be a lot of fun!

Well I think I messed up again!!!! I'm reviewing the A-S2000 Instructions and it sounds like I cannot run the Preamp out and back into the Main In..... I just spent a pile of cash and I'm still not going to be able to do what I want... I'm very frustrated....!!!

Yamaha A-S2000 Manual

From the manual
    • Switch to the MAIN DIRECT position to select the component
    connected to the MAIN IN jacks. When MAIN DIRECT is
    selected as the input source, no signals are output at the PRE
    OUT, REC, and PHONES jacks.

Yeah I don't know of any preamp or integrated that you can go out and back in from, unless you do use one with a tape loop thing meant for recording I guess?. I would suggest you spend one last $50 and pick up a Schiit SYS passive preamp, then you can go from your Modi 2U DAC, to the SYS Preamp, then the MiniDSP unit, then into your A-S2000 and subwoofer. That'll get it done.
    Last edited by sludgeogre; 06-04-2016 at 10:38 AM.