Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Sierra2 port chuffing

Default Re: Sierra2 port chuffing

Just a few more questions...

When you hear the port noise, at what SPL? Also, when you lower the volume level, does the port noise decrease as well?

Do you hear the port noise at your listening position or only when you are behind the speakers?
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com

Quote Originally Posted by davef View Post
    Just a few more questions...

When you hear the port noise, at what SPL? Also, when you lower the volume level, does the port noise decrease as well?

Do you hear the port noise at your listening position or only when you are behind the speakers?
    I can hear the noise during the two tracks I listed in the listening position at ~88-90db. The noise does decrease when I turn down the volume.

Quote Originally Posted by SAFETYpin View Post
    I can hear the noise during the two tracks I listed in the listening position at ~88-90db. The noise does decrease when I turn down the volume.
    Quote Originally Posted by SAFETYpin View Post
    After listening a bit more carefully, it sounds more like distortion than port noise, but I really can't be sure without a proper evaluation. As mentioned, hitting the speakers with sine waves at these volume levels is not recommended. My advice at this point would be to send the pair back to us for complete evaluation. Additionally, deep bass tracks at high volume levels will certainly cause port noise and/or mechanical noise from the woofer reaching its excursion limits.

It is also possible you are reaching the limits of your amp's available power. Best to let us evaluate the pair at this point...
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com

Thanks Dave. I'm currently out of town for work again, but I'll be in touch when i get back home.

Thought I'd stop back in and say my Sierras received a clean bill of health from Dave, thanks for everyones help.

What was the issue causing the noise?

I believe Dave's opinion is its port noise. Due to a lack of bass management on my amp, the speakers are receiving full range. These specific tracks have a lot of content in a frequency below the tuning of the speaker port. Perhaps Dave will step back in and more eloquently explain.

My only real solutions are to avoid the tracks at the volumes I was playing them OR try to get some bass management in my system and only send 60hz and above to the Sierras.

I think it's nearly impossible to get these features in my current amp so I suppose I'll have to start shopping for a replacement.

So the big question is stick with an integrated amp or go with an AVR?

I never plan on having a 5.1 as I don't have the space to set it up, but most of the AVRs have the feature I need. BUT I really like the classic looks of the Yamaha integrated amps. If I step up to an A-S1100 I'll get preamp outs/main ins and be able to setup a DSP to get the features I need. Plus I've been lusting after some V.U. meters.

Yamaha A-S1100.jpg

They're just so expensive, bah....

Another fix is to get a subwoofer with speaker level inputs. Let the sub do the bass management and improve your overall experience by filling in those largely missing bottom two octaves. Sounds like a win-win experience to me.

Quote Originally Posted by N Boros View Post
    Another fix is to get a subwoofer with speaker level inputs. Let the sub do the bass management and improve your overall experience by filling in those largely missing bottom two octaves. Sounds like a win-win experience to me.
    He's got an F12...perhaps that will do the trick?
    -curtis

Does your integrated amp have a tape loop/monitor. If so, I believe you can use the Rythmik's crossover and RCA input/output and the loop/monitor to achieve bass management.

I am just thinking out loud here...
    -curtis