Thread: HTM-200 SE's for HT?

Lightbulb HTM-200 SE's for HT?

Thinking of setting up the HTM-200's in a 5.1 "strictly" home theater\living room set up. I already have a small intimate 2.1 dedicated stereo "music only" sound room with the Sierra 1 NrT's and am planning to get the Sierra 2's in for comparison. The HTM-200's will be replacing a WF "cute cubes + B. Module" that came in the great room with our home (okay, you can stop laughing now), thus I trust the 200's will be a HUGE improvement. My main issues with this room and reasons I'm leaning toward a 200 set-up (entry level Ascend system) are:

1. Wife loves the "small form factor" of the cubes (mounted to corners of 11 ft ceiling) and really could care less about audio fidelity (cubes have pretty bad fidelity), but they can play loud with the Emotiva UPA-1!
    2. 20' x 22' X 11' Great room \ theater room is filled with furniture and I need a system replacement that will not only sound much better, but take up almost as little real-estate as the cubes and easily fit...anywhere.
    3. SHMBO has approved my music room step-up to the Sierra 2's, thus looking for a nice HT audio improvement for just a little investment.
    4. Our movie watching is at moderate levels and I have a musical EP-500 sub that can shake the slab down to 18 Hz when called upon!
    5. My listening attention will always primarily be with my dedicated 2-channel listening room, not HT!

I've just read through the past 25 pages of this topic area, couldn't find anyone that has a 5 channel set up using the HTM-200's throughout (except 11 yr old reviews at the end of the VUR section). With their efficiency, power handling ability and the clean power I have to drive them, figured they Might be a descent speaker solution to my current HT (if you'd call it that) situation???

I'd love to get some opinions, comments or HTM-200 5.1 user experiences!

Thanks,

Ted
    Last edited by theophile; 04-02-2016 at 07:33 AM.
    Sierra RAAL V2 Towers, Axiom EP 500 Sub, Morrow SP7 Grand Reference Speaker Cables, Phillips CD880 XLR Balanced Variable Line Output to Orchard Audio Strakrimson 375w/per ch Stereo Ultra GaNFET Amp..... (Dedicated 2.1 Acoustical Music Listening Room)!

Default Re: HTM-200 SE's for HT?

I had 3 200s as LCR for a few years with some in ceiling speakers for surrounds. My family was very happy with them. We received several compliments from friends who came over on how good it sounded. I think if you have a decent sub to use with it you will really enjoy them for movies like we did

I don't think you're going to find a better speaker for what you just mentioned. It is rare to find a sealed design with as high of an output as those little guys, so you get awesome placement flexibility combined with great output. I think the HTM-200 SE 5.1 setup would make you both very happy even with those constraints.

Thumbs up Re: HTM-200 SE's for HT?

Thanks for your comments Genki and SG,

I'm sure the Ascend 170's on through the Sierra series would create tremendous HT audio that would knock our socks off, but for what we want, also believe the HTM-200 SE's will be all We need!

They'll be paired with a pretty good sub that has excellent depth, impact and articulate bass tonality...had my daughter running to the house to see what was going on when she got out of her car in our drive way (Kong was shaking the slab with his hissy fit)!

Ted
    Sierra RAAL V2 Towers, Axiom EP 500 Sub, Morrow SP7 Grand Reference Speaker Cables, Phillips CD880 XLR Balanced Variable Line Output to Orchard Audio Strakrimson 375w/per ch Stereo Ultra GaNFET Amp..... (Dedicated 2.1 Acoustical Music Listening Room)!

I have CMT 340 LCRs and 4 HTM 200s for my surrounds.

The sealed shallow design allows you to place them on wall (I have mine decoupled 1/4 inch off the wall on floating shelves) which moves the SBIR frequency higher and more directional, which lessons the rear reflection and thus lessens the cancelation dip, making for a more linear speaker in room.

I can't say enough how well these speakers were designed. The way the tweeter is placed allows for very large vertical dispersion and when you get that reflection off the ceiling you hear the rain coming down on you. And since the tweeter is offset, if you place the HTM 200 so that the tweeter is wall side, you get strong reflections off the side wall and the speakers disappear and you become fully immersed.

Really the limiting factor with the HTMs will be how well the movie was mastered. Tonight I watched The Revenant. This movie really allows the HTMs to shine. In the beginning when they are hunting the moose in the creek, it really gives you an erie sense of being there.

To be honest, the reason I haven't moved to any of the Raal lineup from the 340s is because of the HTMs and I want my speakers to timber match. They are just that good.

Although, if I move to Atmos and don't have to rely on ceiling reflections to give me that sense of overhead immersion, I'll probably move to Seirra Sats and replace my 340s with 2s or towers.

But yes, the HTMs are really a no brainer, if you ask me.
    Last edited by Johnny_Mac_III; 04-23-2016 at 10:59 PM.