Thread: CMT 340SE New Revelation

Default CMT 340SE New Revelation

Hi everyone,

I just wanted to post a recent experience with my 4 year old CMT 340s.

We watched a movie one night at our church and I volunteered my CMTs to be used as speakers. The building was around 80 feet long and 40 feet wide with a very high ceiling, maybe around 30 feet at its highest point. I paired the CMTs with two 12 inch subs. So the set-up was 2 channel with the 2 subs playing mono. Each of the 340s sat on one sub in front flanking the screen on the stage. I found some cushy material lying around, so I used that to decouple the speakers from the subs.

Given the dimensions of the room I was initially concerned whether my speakers would be able to provide the needed sound for the purpose. More than a hundred church members came that night.

Well, it turned out I did not have to be concerned. The CMTs really surprised me. The sound they made was so huge and clear. SPL was never a problem as I initially feared. In fact, in some parts of the movie where it was recorded loud, the CMTs just played really loud and clear without strain. After the movie I received positive comments about how good the sound was. Horizontal dispersion was extremely huge, the whole place was filled with cinema-like sound.

This is one more testimony to the excellent design of Ascend speakers. Great job, Dave!

Daniel
    Maui, Hawaii

Default Re: CMT 340SE New Revelation

Quote Originally Posted by sonicboom View Post
    Hi everyone,

I just wanted to post a recent experience with my 4 year old CMT 340s.

We watched a movie one night at our church and I volunteered my CMTs to be used as speakers. The building was around 80 feet long and 40 feet wide with a very high ceiling, maybe around 30 feet at its highest point. I paired the CMTs with two 12 inch subs. So the set-up was 2 channel with the 2 subs playing mono. Each of the 340s sat on one sub in front flanking the screen on the stage. I found some cushy material lying around, so I used that to decouple the speakers from the subs.

Given the dimensions of the room I was initially concerned whether my speakers would be able to provide the needed sound for the purpose. More than a hundred church members came that night.

Well, it turned out I did not have to be concerned. The CMTs really surprised me. The sound they made was so huge and clear. SPL was never a problem as I initially feared. In fact, in some parts of the movie where it was recorded loud, the CMTs just played really loud and clear without strain. After the movie I received positive comments about how good the sound was. Horizontal dispersion was extremely huge, the whole place was filled with cinema-like sound.

This is one more testimony to the excellent design of Ascend speakers. Great job, Dave!

Daniel
    Maui, Hawaii
    Thanks Daniel! Wow -- that is a huge space and I am very happy that 340's filled the room and sounded great in such a large space. The 340's really offer incredible bang for buck performance and are a terrific alternative to the super high efficiency designs out there, while also retaining that true hi-fi performance of a music lover's speaker
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com

340s....when I visited PSA I met up with Jim Farina. He told me in the past they had used the 340s in their demo room. He mentioned Tom loved how they cranked and composed they remain at loud volumes. Maybe why they eventually ventured into the realm of HE designs?? Unless, you need to fill a large church hall or fulfil your own listening habits...high efficient speakers dont really offer any advantages IMHO.
    Last edited by billy p; 03-22-2016 at 10:15 AM.
    Speakers 5.1.2: TitanTowers v2 & STC(RAAL v2), MA CP-WT&CT260
    Sub: Funk Audio 18.0 SantosRW

Source: Denon X3800H, Oppo BDP 103D, UBK-90 4K & LG B9 65"
    Office 2.0: Philharmonic True Mini(coming-soon), Fosi TB10D via Wiim mini.

Quote Originally Posted by billy p View Post
    340s....when I visited PSA I met up with Jim Farina. He told me in the past they had used the 340s in their demo room. He mentioned Tom loved how they cranked and composed they remain at loud volumes. Maybe why they eventually ventured into the realm of HE designs??
    Interesting -- I had no idea about this. I have a vague memory of Tom using 340's at SVS as well, at least until they ventured into their own line of speakers. Tom and I shared a bunch of shots at CES many, many years ago.
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com

Quote Originally Posted by davef View Post
    Interesting -- I had no idea about this. I have a vague memory of Tom using 340's at SVS as well, at least until they ventured into their own line of speakers. Tom and I shared a bunch of shots at CES many, many years ago.
    Only a guess but I think Jim was basically reflecting upon his time at Svs. I did see a few prototype during my visit but we mostly talked about life & kids, what else is there...

Quote Originally Posted by billy p View Post
    340s....when I visited PSA I met up with Jim Farina. He told me in the past they had used the 340s in their demo room. He mentioned Tom loved how they cranked and composed they remain at loud volumes.
    Speakers 5.1.2: TitanTowers v2 & STC(RAAL v2), MA CP-WT&CT260
    Sub: Funk Audio 18.0 SantosRW

Source: Denon X3800H, Oppo BDP 103D, UBK-90 4K & LG B9 65"
    Office 2.0: Philharmonic True Mini(coming-soon), Fosi TB10D via Wiim mini.