Thread: One Hour In ...

Default One Hour In ...

... to listening to my new Sierra 2's, and I'm struggling for words to describe how much I'm loving these speakers.

Picked them up around noon and rushed home to set them up. Fiddled with positioning for about 15 minutes and quickly found the "sweet spot" in my space.

I've listened to a variety of songs. Some Hi Def, most AAC (iTunes).

The clarity and detail are breathtaking. As I write this, I'm hearing nuance to Clare Torry's work on "Great Gig in the Sky" that I've never heard.

I've listened to Dark Side of the Moon literally thousands of times and never heard the guy huffing and puffing at the end of "On the Run" ... until today. That alone is worth the price of admission.

Default Re: One Hour In ...

Quote Originally Posted by Jaybeez View Post
    ... to listening to my new Sierra 2's, and I'm struggling for words to describe how much I'm loving these speakers.

Picked them up around noon and rushed home to set them up. Fiddled with positioning for about 15 minutes and quickly found the "sweet spot" in my space.

I've listened to a variety of songs. Some Hi Def, most AAC (iTunes).

The clarity and detail are breathtaking. As I write this, I'm hearing nuance to Clare Torry's work on "Great Gig in the Sky" that I've never heard.

I've listened to Dark Side of the Moon literally thousands of times and never heard the guy huffing and puffing at the end of "On the Run" ... until today. That alone is worth the price of admission.
    Awesome - I clearly remember when you and your family were here for the demo and we connected the Sierra-2 for you, the expressions on everyone's faces were an "aha moment" That truly meant a lot to me since all of you are musicians.

Enjoy!!!!
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com

LOVE is the only word you need.
    -curtis

Dave, yeah I was hoping to get away with the Sierra 1's (from a budget standpoint), but when my kids heard the first note of "Hotel California" on the 2's they both looked at me with a look that said "Really?".

My son listened to "Great Gig in the Sky" in our listening space and remarked that what we were hearing was likely exactly what Alan Parsons was going for.

Curtis, love definitely applies. If I only get one word, that would suffice!

Bravo!

Dave, yeah I was hoping to get away with the Sierra 1's (from a budget standpoint), but when my kids heard the first note of "Hotel California" on the 2's they both looked at me with a look that said "Really?".

My son listened to "Great Gig in the Sky" in our listening space and remarked that what we were hearing was likely exactly what Alan Parsons was going for.

Curtis, love definitely applies. If I only get one word, that would suffice!

Bravo!
    There is really nothing quite like "Great Gig in the Sky" and likely never will be again. I recall hearing you tell both kids of how that recording came to be. It is really amazing when you think about it... Completely unrehearsed and one take, perhaps the greatest vocal performance ever...
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com

Quote Originally Posted by davef View Post
    There is really nothing quite like "Great Gig in the Sky" and likely never will be again. I recall hearing you tell both kids of how that recording came to be. It is really amazing when you think about it... Completely unrehearsed and one take, perhaps the greatest vocal performance ever...
    Indeed. Will definitely stand the test of time.

Wanted to update this, as I've had several opportunities to listen to the Sierra 2s in near field mode.

They are mounted on studio monitor stands and adjacent my work desk which is actually a recording studio / mixing desk.

I use the desk both for studio recording and work (my day job), and while working stream iTunes radio, Pandora and ALAC files as background, typically at about 72 - 75 dB.

The detail in this configuration is absolutely incredible. I'm able to hear every nuance of a wide range of music genres at very low volumes.

While I enjoy the full listening experience at the normal listening position (about 10 feet back) I'm thrilled these work so well "close in".

Just wanted to mention in case anyone was thinking the Sierras might be overkill for near field applications. Quite the opposite in my view.

Thumbs up Re: One Hour In ...

While I enjoy the full listening experience at the normal listening position (about 10 feet back) I'm thrilled these work so well "close in".

Just wanted to mention in case anyone was thinking the Sierras might be overkill for near field applications. Quite the opposite in my view.
    JB!

I'll have the Sierra 2's in my small 9x10x11ft(ceiling) music room, with a separation of 6ft and listening position of 8ft. Great to "hear" this near field experience works very well close in!!!

Ted
    Sierra RAAL V2 Towers, Axiom EP 500 Sub, Morrow SP7 Grand Reference Speaker Cables, Phillips CD880 XLR Balanced Variable Line Output to Orchard Audio Strakrimson 375w/per ch Stereo Ultra GaNFET Amp..... (Dedicated 2.1 Acoustical Music Listening Room)!

Quote Originally Posted by theophile View Post
    JB!

I'll have the Sierra 2's in my small 9x10x11ft(ceiling) music room, with a separation of 6ft and listening position of 8ft. Great to "hear" this near field experience works very well close in!!!

Ted
    You just can't beat a dedicated listening room. In my case, it serves as an office which is a two-fer. Some days I ask myself why I should leave the space!