Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Noob from Colorado

Default Re: Noob from Colorado

Quote Originally Posted by davef View Post
    Hi 14er -- Sierra Towers are not 4 ohm speakers. Minimum impedance is just that, the minimum impedance. You should be looking at average or nominal impedance. 8 ohm nominal speakers typically dip as low as 4 ohms. 4 ohm speakers typically dip as low as 3 ohms, sometimes even lower.

We are here to help so please feel free to give us a call or send me a PM.

Thanks!
    Dave, thanks for responding.

I am looking for the lowest profile Horizon center that doesn’t affect the performance. My towers are black satin bamboo, with RAAL. But if you recommend the original size, your expertise I will trust. Also, do you recommend keeping the RAAL tweeters with the surrounds?

Default Re: Noob from Colorado

Quote Originally Posted by 14er View Post
    Dave, thanks for responding.

I am looking for the lowest profile Horizon center that doesn’t affect the performance. My towers are black satin bamboo, with RAAL. But if you recommend the original size, your expertise I will trust. Also, do you recommend keeping the RAAL tweeters with the surrounds?
    8" height is about as low as we can go, but the best overall performance is obtained with the standard Horizon. With the low profile custom horizons, the tweeter and midrange woofer are aligned horizontally (right next to each other) instead of having the tweeter on top of the midrange. On axis performance remains the same as the standard horizon, but off-axis performance is compromised.

With regard to going with the ribbons as surrounds, this fully depends on your usage. If you get into multichannel audio, it is definitely a good idea. For home theater, while there are advantages, only you can decide if the added expense is worthwhile.
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com