Thread: ascend cbm-170 internal vibration problem?

I would give the guys a call.

-curtis

I was moving my VTF3/2 one day and rolled it over to get a better grasp on it and heard something moving around inside it. Upon inspection of the ports I discovered a couple Matchbox cars inside. My 3 year old must have figured that the cars fit nicely in thru the ports so that's where they ended up. Not saying this is your situation but I thought I'd pass on a funny story.

Give Ascend a call. They'll be able to give you an idea where to look first.

Randy

My question would be, since the CBM-170 is not a full range speaker, why would you attempt to play a song or movie soundtrack with 30-45Hz info through them? They really need to be crossed over with the low frequencies sent to a sub.

well.. the way I have my room setup I have been able to get some very low frequencies out of the cbm-170s as mains without distortion. its quite impressive.

I think its the acoustics of my room... I have all wood blinds.. wall treatments, etc. and its not a weak amount of bass its pretty darn good!

anyways.. I prbly will end up using the subwoofer like i normally do during daytime (SVS sub) .. but for night time listening I wanted to get as low and as much bass as possible from the mains without distortion...

but im starting to think that its not just low bass... but more mid bass that is repeated with a lot of "omph" or power and repeated very fast that causes the anomoly...

the vibration remains ... a lot of times it occurs on bass guitars..

also.. does anyone have any solution for removing some minor port noise????

but anyways the vibration still there =(...

You got port noise? How close are they to the wall?

Definitely give Ascend a call.

-curtis

yeh im gettin port noise.. i have to have my speakers about 1 foot away from wall only =(.. how far away from the wall should the speaker be normally?

I don't think the CBM-170 requires much...but your room seems to be unique in the bass department. When I had my CBM-170's as mains, they were 17" or so from the wall.

-curtis

This is important to me, as my front 170's would actually be wall-mounted, with the rear of the speakers facing the wall, and only an inch or two away!

Should I be worried?

nope....many folks use omnimounts it siutations just like that.

-curtis

Ive realized now that I am just driving my speakers way to hard and need to use a sub or get the CMT speakers for mains,

ascends are perfect down to the rated 50 hz... i was just tryin to squeeze too much out of these babies! hehe

thanks for your replies,

Regards,
    Trevor