Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Rythmik Audio 18s

Default Re: Rythmik Audio 18s

Quote Originally Posted by taigovinda View Post
    N Boros, Alex,

Yes, consensus from what I've read in various places is that the two form factors are equivalent in sound or maybe side-firing is a bit better. My concern is indeed that my son likes to climb on my current sub and smash toys against it; also the look of down-firing could appear more like an end table and less like audio equipment, even by purchasing a stock one and adding veneer. The fact that the down-firing is not readily available does change things for me - guess I'll have to either train my kid or else pay about 2x.

For an 8000 sq ft room, would F15HP x 2 (non-vented) be right? In terms of output levels, I don't have a sense of how it would compare to what I have currently, the one vented Outlaw... or how it would compare to just one F15HP. I've read somewhere that output gain from adding identical subs is a lot less than going up a size, but I'm not sure that when the 18 does come out it would be the right form factor for me trying to be at end table height. The room is 33 x 15 x 16 (high point of sloped ceiling), the sub(s) would go against the side wall(s) close to halfway back in the room.

Thanks.
    Tai
    Tai,

You and I have a couple of things in common. I too own the Outlaw LFM-1 (though you have the "+") and it is in far too large of a room to properly do its job well. I am currently in a almost 10,000 cubic foot basement, since it is an open floor plan down there. I originally bought the subwoofer for my 12 by 16 foot living room in a small starter home. Even though the room was partially open to the rest of the house, it still did a wonderful job of pressurizing the space and adding an extra sense of realism when playing movies and music. That is no longer the case in this huge space. If I run sweeps I can technically hear the bass frequencies, but there is very little "feel" to the bass. Honestly, it is almost as if I don't have a subwoofer at all in this large space.

What I am planning to do is to put up a couple of walls in my finished basement to get the size of the space down smaller. This way I don't have to get such large outputting subwoofers and speakers to contend with the large space. But, if I were to leave it open I would be looking at the largest ported offerings from various manufacturers: Rythmik FV15Hp, or the new upcoming bigger models, JTR 1400, SVS PB 16 Ultra, HSU VTF-15H MK 2, Powersound Audio's ported offerings, etc. On this thread a large part of the discussion has been focused on the added performance benefits of the technology used in the Rythmik subs, so if you can fit it in your budget I think it is worth it. I know that I plan to go with a Rythmik to fit my room size when I save up the money.

Thanks Guys. I'm hearing one vote for 2xFV15HP and one for 2xF15HP. So I went and read like 20 other related threads across the web (some of which include more thoughts from N Boros )... I'm leaning strongly towards the 2xF15HP because:

- concern: not enough output for 33Lx15Wx10-17H (sloped ceiling)

- subs will be relatively near field, against the walls directly to the sides of the main seating area, more perceived output
    - music is at least 50%, from what I understand sealed is better for this
    - sealed is "harder to screw up" in setup or "ported is harder to get right"
    - sealed is smaller, especially in height... so I can set them on auralex pads and still not be too tall

Now I just have to save up the money and see if going in for horizon and surrounds at the same time makes it a better deal. I asked black or silver woofer and the wife said silver - I take that as authorization for the entire purchase!

Tai

........I asked black or silver woofer and the wife said silver - I take that as authorization for the entire purchase!

Tai
    Sounds like a green light to me!!
    Ed

* Sierra-2EX's W/V2 crossover upgrade
    * (2) Rythmik F12's
    * Parasound Halo P6
    * Audio by Van Alstine DVA-M225 Monoblock Amps
    * MiniDSP 2x4HD For Sub calibration
    *World's Best Cables Canare 4S11 speaker cables

Thanks Guys. I'm hearing one vote for 2xFV15HP and one for 2xF15HP. So I went and read like 20 other related threads across the web (some of which include more thoughts from N Boros )... I'm leaning strongly towards the 2xF15HP because:

- subs will be relatively near field, against the walls directly to the sides of the main seating area, more perceived output
    - sealed is smaller, especially in height... so I can set them on auralex pads and still not be too tall

Now I just have to save up the money and see if going in for horizon and surrounds at the same time makes it a better deal. I asked black or silver woofer and the wife said silver - I take that as authorization for the entire purchase!

Tai
    One resource that has been very helpful to me in my planning of my home theater is the AVRant podcast. A cohost of the podcast is Rob H, who goes by FirstReflect on this forum when he posts. For the past 2 or 3 years now their podcast has been focused on answering questions that folks like you write in and then they just give advise. I would take advantage beacuase it is free and they do give quite good advise. I don't always take the advise that they give, but just having a couple of knowledge guys talk about it can sometimes get me to think of an approach that I didn't think about before. To write in you just email rob@avrant and tom@avrant with your question and then usually on the next podcast or the one after that they will discuss it. Good luck with your decision.

Tai

Obviously...you have some easy choices and some more difficult one's along the way. IMO that room is huge and I would look into the vented vs. sealed...for that large of a space. Room interaction & placement will determine the difficulty of setting up, not sub design. General rule of thumb larger rooms with adjoining spaces go with vented, smaller or sealed rooms tend to benefit more from a sealed.

I like AVS....it has a extensive information base if researched thoroughly, plenty of knowledgeable members...thou...you must sort through some of the biases and bickering from time to time...usually found in comparison or owners threads. Check Data-Bass for third party objective analysis of comparable subs...

Several different subs you may consider... that would fit your needs but if your considering Rythmik Audio first and foremost... talk to them directly have them guide you...your room/or space, budget, listening levels and habits...etc...should determine what you chose...I doubt the F15hp will vary much in SQ vs the FV15hp....

Good luck,

Bill
    Last edited by billy p; 10-12-2016 at 07:21 PM.
    Speakers 5.1.2: TitanTowers v2 & STC(RAAL v2), MA CP-WT&CT260
    Sub: Funk Audio 18.0 SantosRW

Source: Denon X3800H, Oppo BDP 103D, UBK-90 4K & LG B9 65"
    Office 2.0: Philharmonic True Mini(coming-soon), Fosi TB10D via Wiim mini.

Tai
    I know a lot of people will push you to go with ported subs, but I'm voting that you don't need to, and that your plan is great. Like I said, with my dual F12's in a huge open space, they run at 1/3rd volume and I STILL ask my girlfriend to turn it down all the time at night. Two F12's is roughly equal in output at 20 Hz to one of the 15 inch vented models I believe, but I can't find where I read that. Two of the 15 inch sealed subs would likely have greater output than one of their biggest vented subs. The added bonus is that sealed subs have extension all the way down to 5 Hz whereas even the mighty FV15HP goes down to about 13 Hz at -10 dB. I don't know if I could really even tell a difference between the extension if I heard both subs back to back, but I can tell you that the deep bass capabilities of even the F12 are just frightening. I usually don't run them in that mode because it is pretty distracting having that on in the main room. I cannot wait to move into my new house with my dedicated theater. 41 more days.....
    -Alex
    PS4/Nvidia Shield --> Emotiva XMC-1 --> Emotiva XPA-5 --> Ascend Acoustics Sierra Towers and Horizon Center w/ RAAL tweeters (L/C/R), HTM-200 SE (Surrounds), 2x Rythmik F12 subwoofers

Here is a photo of the prototype subwoofer which is being called the FV25HP in post 23826:

http://www.avsforum.com/forum/113-su...hread-795.html

I agree with Billy P's suggestion of using AVS as a resource, but as this thread I am linking to illustrates, threads over there get so massive that they can sometimes feel overwhelming. I've been trying to follow the Rythmik thread since spring to see if I could find out any news for the upcoming FV25Hp and the FV18 subwoofers and it is nearly impossible. Many days there will be several new pages full of posts added. I just don't have this much time per day to set aside to even follow this one thread on AVS.

Thanks everyone for all the continued input. Two things are definitive for my sub upgrade, the green light and Rythmik. So the forums have narrowed things down tremendously for me.

F25 is a possibility for me, seems likely right now. I've got a question series out to Rythmik and a question out to Salk now... I'll be back later to ask more here or to update on what advice I got and which direction I went at that green light

Tai

Here they are: FV25HP and FV18 final prototypes going into full production. I will post more info and specifications as soon I get green light from Brian!!

FV18_FV25_grille_far[7] copy.jpg

FV18_FV25_no_grille[5] copy.jpg
    Enrico Castagnetti @ Rythmik Audio
    Media Room: Ascend Acoustics Sierra Towers w/ RAAL, Horizon w/ RAAL, Sierra 2s & Lunas | Rythmik F12SE (x2) + FV25HP | Emotiva XMC-1 | Emotiva XPA-3 & XPA-200 (x2) | Panasonic 820 | Bluesound Node 2 | Sony VW295ES | 92" Stewart ST100 |
    Desktop: Dynaudio BM5 mkIII | Rythmik L22 | Apogee Quartet | 27" iMac|
    Bedroom: B&W 685 S2 | Rythmik LVX12 | Marantz SR6013 | Sony 65Z9D |

Cool Re: Rythmik Audio 18s

Quote Originally Posted by enricoclaudio View Post
    Here they are: FV25HP and FV18 final prototypes going into full production. I will post more info and specifications as soon I get green light from Brian!!

FV18_FV25_grille_far[7] copy.jpg

FV18_FV25_no_grille[5] copy.jpg
    http://forum.ascendacoustics.com/att...4&d=1455147176

Funny can't help but notice how ascend and rythmik are going opposite directions 😀