Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Rythmik Audio 18s

Default Re: Rythmik Audio 18s

Quote Originally Posted by billy p View Post
    Don't laugh but that thought has merit....ive considered trading down. The new room is mine and will not be a multi faceted...so everything should be fine.
    Well...in any case...I'm here for you.
    -curtis

Anyone know when the new larger ported Rythmik subwoofers are coming out? I think that there is supposed to be a ported model with two 15 inch drivers (FV25 ?) and another ported model with one 18 inch driver (FV18 ? ). I've seen a few posts on AVS about it coming out in the Fall and someone else said October, but I usually don't post over at AVS since threads can get huge and often folks can just get nasty over there.

I saw this yesterday too. I get excited reading about new products like this. Especially things from SVS. They do put together some top notch products. I do think it is funny the sizes of the woofers they choose though. They first came out with a 13" woofer, maybe just so that people will see it is slightly larger than the typical 12" woofers that were the common size several years ago. Now the new subwoofer has a 16" inch woofer because of the proliferation of 15" woofers. Though in the past couple years the 18" woofer is becoming an option from many internet direct subwoofers. I'm surprised that they didn't come out with a 19" woofer.

This just gets me more excited to hear about the upcoming Rythmik subwoofers. I'm guessing that the two new ported models might come in at less than the new SVS models. If that is the case, then I think I would still lean more towards Rythmik than SVS. Right now for example, if I needed the output of a PB13 Ultra or a PC13 Ultra I think that the Rythmik FV15hp offers a bit more performance in just raw output in addition to the servo technology and at a lower price.

Well in the case of Svs....the U16 has being in development going on 5-6 yrs. Reflecting back at that period... it would have being something else... now...meh.
    I've heard both variations of the Ultras...even had the SB13U for ~4 months. It was good but it didn't exhibit that tremendous mid-bass we mostly crave and ultimately want for music or visceral movie effects.

You can't deny Svs stature worldwide...id be curious to see how the Rythmiks and Ultra stack up....I'd take the 18 until proven otherwise...
    Last edited by billy p; 10-07-2016 at 11:49 AM.
    Speakers 5.1.2: TitanTowers v2 & STC(RAAL v2), MA CP-WT&CT260
    Sub: Funk Audio 18.0 SantosRW

Source: Denon X3800H, Oppo BDP 103D, UBK-90 4K & LG B9 65"
    Office 2.0: Philharmonic True Mini(coming-soon), Fosi TB10D via Wiim mini.

Quote Originally Posted by billy p View Post
    Well in the case of Svs....the U16 has being in development going on 5-6 yrs. Reflecting back at that period... it would have being something else... now...meh.
    You are right! I had forgotten about this until just now. Right after the SVS PB13 Ultra was first reviewed by Audioholics and Data-bass was starting to take off I was really excited about the SVS offerings and their performance. Soon after I saw the SB16 announced and was really excited. They scrapped the idea because of the significant cost of neodym. Here is the original ad:

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B_...jlwWXMtdWpLb1U

This is pretty remarkable that they were able to bring it out several years later at a cheaper price with what looks like on the spec sheet more performance.

The new SVS 16'ers have a 1500W amp. I wonder how this power will translate into sound compared to Rythmik? the sealed box model is only 19.5" wide... DSP vs. accelerometer? I wish I had a bunch of new subs in my room to play with. Affordable high value audio is getting better every day.

Quote Originally Posted by Blutarsky View Post
    The new SVS 16'ers have a 1500W amp. I wonder how this power will translate into sound compared to Rythmik? the sealed box model is only 19.5" wide... DSP vs. accelerometer? I wish I had a bunch of new subs in my room to play with. Affordable high value audio is getting better every day.
    I asked the same question a while ago and here is what Brian responded with:

http://forum.ascendacoustics.com/sho...VS-and-Rythmik

I only picked up some of what he was talking about, but to me it seems like what Rythmik has going on is more sophisticated and will transfer to some audible differences. SVS seems to just simply limit the output with a DSP if the THD is going to get excessive. Apparently there are trade offs for doing this. On the one hand the THD is exceptionally low and it is really tough to get it to make any bad noises from asking it to play too loud. It just stops playing louder even when asked to do so. But, there are other forms of distortion than just THD that one gets that are a bigger problem, that crop up as a result. Rythmik seems to attack the this problem from a different angle. Rythmik subs keep some of the other forms of distortion in check, since they are more important. As a result the THD looks worse than that of the SVS, but apparently it doesn't matter. Like I said I'm still trying to wrap my head around it, but it is starting to make sense.
    Last edited by N Boros; 10-07-2016 at 05:58 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Blutarsky View Post
    DSP is not comparable to servo. DSP is one method (actually, a lesser expensive method these days) for equalizing / contouring the subwoofer's response as opposed to equalizing by analog means. It means the LFE signal that is being sent to the sub is once again converted to digital - then various filters are applied to the digital signal, and then it is once again converted to analog so it can be amplified and then sent to the woofer.

Regardless of how good the DAC's are - each time an analog signal is converted to digital and then back again, information is lost.

Servo is a real time solution whereby the woofer sends a continuous signal back to the amplifier, so that the amplifier makes sure the woofer is properly tracking the signal being sent to it.

DSP does not have any effect on overall sound quality other than adding additional features and a simpler way of implementing eq. In fact, because of the additional A/D D/A conversions, it has a negative effect on the purity of the original signal being sent. These days, there are way to many A/D D/A conversions taking place in the audio chain. DSP in a sub would be more beneficial if the LFE output itself were digital.

I'll take servo any day of the week when it comes to sound quality in a subwoofer.
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com

The most important aspect of the sub IMO is the driver itself....efficiency, inductance...motor strength...distortion.... will shape or identify the SQ...long before a servo or DSP is put in chain.

I suspect even you Dave would be impressed with the TSAD specs at DB in the Funk subs...I'm using no eq....and its awesome...its basically an extension of the Towers only better...
    Last edited by billy p; 10-07-2016 at 07:59 PM.
    Speakers 5.1.2: TitanTowers v2 & STC(RAAL v2), MA CP-WT&CT260
    Sub: Funk Audio 18.0 SantosRW

Source: Denon X3800H, Oppo BDP 103D, UBK-90 4K & LG B9 65"
    Office 2.0: Philharmonic True Mini(coming-soon), Fosi TB10D via Wiim mini.