Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: F12 and Sierra2 measurements ?s

Default Re: F12 and Sierra2 measurements ?s

Quote Originally Posted by eyecatcher View Post
    Are you considering room treatments? Those may help on the wall. You can't do much to fix the timing of anything in your yamaha setup, you'd need external equalization. Something like a MiniDSP. Their FIR filters correct phase shift or something like audyssey.

I found Time-synchronized measurements can be performed with a USB microphone using REW's "acoustic timing reference" feature. This requires REW version 5.15 or later. but if one is using HDMI there are other factors to consider check out http://andyc.diy-audio-engineering.o...ring.html#holm
    I've been trying to plan out next steps and where to spend money for the largest improvments. I purchased the Mic 1st as I figured it would assist in determining subsequent steps. Little did I know, how involved some of the science behind room acoustics is!

The common work path I hear is;
    1. Mic/measure
    2. Optimize placement/equipment settings
    3. Room treatments
    4. DSP

I'm still at step 1. learning what these measurements mean and trying to determine the largest problems.

As far as 2. goes I'm going to have to live with lots of non-optimized compromises. The room is small and there's very few places to move things around. My listening position is against the rear wall. Front of main speakers to rear wall distance ~8ft. 6in. Or I'll have to come up with some creative solutions if the compromises are too large.

Not much to say about 3. as I'm still at 1. My main concern via treatment is targeting specific problems vs. just slapping stuff on the walls and calling it good.

I'm very interested in adding a DSP, the question is to go DIRAC or not? I see the miniDSP 2x4-HD was just released and and the miniDSP2x4-DL is on its way soon. Given the depth of the rabbit hole I'm kinda leaning towards a DIRAC solution. Either DSP would easily integrate with my AMP, the only bummer being I lose the use of the fancy DAC in my Yamaha. Since I have no plans on using DSD files or really HD files at all, no big loss. It's my understanding that HD files offer no advantage over 44.1khz/16 files.

I'm not seeing a download for REW v15.5 and it looks like I have v15.4 installed.

Am I fighting myself by using this integrated amp instead of an AVR?
    Last edited by SAFETYpin; 03-14-2016 at 10:11 AM.

Default Re: F12 and Sierra2 measurements ?s

I recently read an article posted by an audio engineer friend of mine suggesting treatment is far more important than many other "upgrades" many consider. The article also suggested room correction is NOT your friend.

I'm sure this varies case by case, and I've heard Dirac used with a pretty nice system (ATI, Revel Ultimas) with a noticeable (positive) effect.

I just picked up a set of Sierra 2's, which I'm using for music listening only, along with a F12 SE. I don't have proper tuning gear, but did have my room tuned several years ago for recording (bass traps, broad band panels) and spent about an hour placing the Sierras, Sub, and tuning the sub for optimum effect (to me).

Basically, I just tuned by ear for my preferred sound. My gear is similar to yours, I'm running an AS-501 and I have it on Pure Direct, with the Sub set at about 80, with no PEQ, delay at about 10%, and gain at 12:00 O'Clock.

The bass on the Sierras is very good, so I'm looking for the sub to simply fill in the lowest notes, somewhat "invisibly".

For HT, I think you may be limited by the Integrated if you are looking to go multi channel. If I were setting up HT with these quality speakers, I'd probably get a 5 (or 7 channel) quality amp (Emotiva, ATI, Outlaw, etc.) and an OPPO and run everything through the OPPO.

The Yammie is a great amp, but you're only set up for 2 channel + sub.

I do hear a slight difference with HD files I've downloaded from HDTracks, but not huge vs. my AAC stuff.
    Last edited by Jaybeez; 03-28-2016 at 12:59 PM.