Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: S-1 NrT's or S-2 ?!

Question S-1 NrT's or S-2 ?!

Amazing comparison snaabster! I'm sure the B&W 803D's are no slouch (better not be for $10K)! But, to effectively hear the Sierra 2's as being equal or even better is a wonderful tribute to the efforts of Dave, Ascend, RAAL and Seas!!!

My background: I have formal training in classical piano and a BA degree is in instrumental education. I taught instrumental music for a few years and have attended many "acoustical concerts" in the past 30+. During the 80's, my tested hearing showed that 75% of my frequency sensitivities were at or below 0db (especially from 1,000 to 18,000hz). Today (40+ yrs later), I still test at the thresh-hold of the equipment (0db) to 10db (thanks mom). SHMBO understands I have "selective hearing"...can't hide or lie! On 2-C Stereo, In the 80's I purchased ADS 1290 Series II studio monitors w\bia-amped PA-1 modules installed. Sounds were very open, detailed and powerful, with a soundstage that jumped out into the room and beyond the wall interiors...Very Nice. Started with vinyl, but moved to CD in 1982 (NAD). I visited many audio salons and heard some very expensive and unbelievable 2 channel stereo systems. I know what acoustical piano, jazz, vocals, BB, symphonic and R&B sounds like Live and wanted those sounds in my listening room presentation...but with 4 children, family became priority for the next 35 years!

Just finally had the opportunity to set-up my 9ft x 10ft dedicated near field 2-channel intimate "Music Room" in our home! With Dave's patient professional set-up advice, I paired the new Sierra 1 NrT's (stored since 2011) with Emotiva Pre-USP1, Power-UPA2, Sub-Axiom EP500 and an oldie but goodie Player-Phillips Reference CD880.

I now have the Sierra's 6ft apart (8in. away from the 9ft setup wall) and about 8ft from my listening position (.75 ratio-see pic). Due to the near field listening position, I have no toe-in of the Sierras. The small room size with entry and furniture restrictions doesn't allow me much lead way in opening the speakers up or relocating the electronics and sub, sigh...oh well. These past 2 weeks has been a long process and follow up listening sessions to equipment and speaker arrangements, cleaning up equipment boxes, removing a large exterior cabinet enclosure, stabilizing the Sierra stands, trying different interconnects\speaker wires, testing sound with old Sony receiver (vs Emotiva Separates=Big Improvement) and even discovering that the 28 yr old Philips CD player sounds better than the new Emotiva ERC-2 CD player (now going to oldest son)!

HOWEVER, this current and swift journey into audio bliss has been rewarding and worth it! I'm now at 100% satisfaction with the Glorious Sounds coming forth from the Sierra NrT's!!! Wow, Wow...I'm rediscovering my instrumental and vocal CD libraries with stunning R&B, Jazz, Acapella, Big Band and Orchestral recordings! Soundstage precision, air and dimentionality extends well beyond my 9ft listening wall confinement, both with lateral accuracy and hall\studio ambient depth! Attacks, delays, harmonics, overtones, character, tonalities and timbre are all very realistic and alive in instrumentals, vocals and percussion. It seems there is no audible end to the liquid, smooth and very open top end, the midrange clarity, resonances and resolve, and now, the articulate, natural and quick upper and lower bass (w\o sub)! Overall, superlative descriptions such as Engaging, Emotional, Live, Real and of course, Fidelity all come to mind (and Ears)! I do have some bad recordings, but the great stuff is jaw dropping and mind blowing! It's the Best I've ever heard from any of my recordings, my previous stereo, or any I've Experienced before in audio specialty\salon stores (likes of B&W, Rogers, Spendor, Paradigm, Vandersteen, etc...)...Period!!!

Other than on-site live music performances, It's difficult to imagine any listening room sound reproduction being much better! But, I've read about and learned much concerning the Sierra 2's, their design work and ultimate successes hear (pun intended)! I'm certainly not ready to throw my Sierra 1's out (just yet), but would love to hear comments\experiences from previous owners who scaled up to the newest and greatest S2 design. As I've stated my new findings and appreciation for the above NrT's, do you think in my intimate music room, with my current electronics and my S1-NrT satisfaction, would a step up to the Sierra-2 could\would make a substantial improvement as I heard from my old 80's set-up to now???

Any comments, suggestions or recommendations will be greatly appreciated!

Ted
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by theophile; 02-27-2016 at 07:04 PM.
    Sierra RAAL V2 Towers, Axiom EP 500 Sub, Morrow SP7 Grand Reference Speaker Cables, Phillips CD880 XLR Balanced Variable Line Output to Orchard Audio Strakrimson 375w/per ch Stereo Ultra GaNFET Amp..... (Dedicated 2.1 Acoustical Music Listening Room)!

Thumbs up Re: S-1 NrT's or S-2 ?!

Quote Originally Posted by theophile View Post
    ...I'm certainly not ready to throw my Sierra 1's out (just yet), but would love to hear comments\experiences from previous owners who scaled up to the newest and greatest S2 design. As I've stated my new findings and appreciation for the above NrT's, do you think in my intimate music room, with my current electronics and my S1-NrT satisfaction, would a step up to the Sierra-2 could\would make a substantial improvement...???

Any comments, suggestions or recommendations will be greatly appreciated!

Ted
    Any Sierra 1 to 2 owners (either through upgrade or direct comparison) care to give some feedback...pros or cons...please!

Ted
    Sierra RAAL V2 Towers, Axiom EP 500 Sub, Morrow SP7 Grand Reference Speaker Cables, Phillips CD880 XLR Balanced Variable Line Output to Orchard Audio Strakrimson 375w/per ch Stereo Ultra GaNFET Amp..... (Dedicated 2.1 Acoustical Music Listening Room)!

Default Re: S-1 NrT's or S-2 ?!

I owned the Sierra-1's for a long time...I bought the second set sold.

I listened to the Sierra-1NrT at Ascend. I liked it, but not enough for me to make the upgrade a priority.

When I heard the Sierra-2...I was hooked. The sound is different than the Sierra-1. The transients and detail stand out more with the 2, without sounding the least bit harsh. I would call the Sierra-1 "polite" and the the Sierra-2 "honest"...if that makes sense.
    -curtis

Any Sierra 1 to 2 owners (either through upgrade or direct comparison) care to give some feedback...pros or cons...please!

Ted
    I haven't listened to the NRT's but I am super happy with the upgrade going from 1's to 2's. The change is a clearer, more realistic, more dynamic sound. I have no doubt that you would hear an improvement upgrading to the 2's, but I can't say if you'll consider it a slight improvement or a huge jump. Another thing to consider would be getting a few sound treatments for your room as well as pulling the speakers out from the wall some, if possible. That might be a bigger 'bang for buck' upgrade.
    Nate

Quote Originally Posted by curtis View Post
    I listened to the Sierra-1NrT at Ascend. I liked it, but not enough for me to make the upgrade a priority.

When I heard the Sierra-2...I was hooked. The sound is different than the Sierra-1. The transients and detail stand out more with the 2, without sounding the least bit harsh. I would call the Sierra-1 "polite" and the the Sierra-2 "honest"...if that makes sense.
    Curtis,

Thanks for your quick response!

I no doubt and believe going from the S1 to the S2 is a big step in the "real\live acoustic" sound reproduction direction! What you state makes sense...probably like lifting a veil off the S1 speaker, creating much more openness, better focus in imaging and stage presence and clarity of details in tonality and transients, from top on down to the bottom registers!

As per my review, I'm hearing so much more in my recordings than in the past (thanks Ascend), but then again I stepped right into the S1 NrT upgrade and never heard the original Sierra 1 design. From what I gather from your comments, you seem to be stating that a step up from the S1 NrT's to the Sierra 2's would be a greater increase in performance than what you heard with the step up for the S1 to the S1 NrT?

Not wanting to assume or misrepresent your experience, but I don't want to pull the plug on a set of S2's and discover just a marginal increase in realistic sound reproduction from what I currently have.

Thanks again for your assistance,

Ted
    Last edited by theophile; 03-07-2016 at 07:35 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by natetg57 View Post
    I haven't listened to the NRT's but I am super happy with the upgrade going from 1's to 2's. The change is a clearer, more realistic, more dynamic sound. I have no doubt that you would hear an improvement upgrading to the 2's, but I can't say if you'll consider it a slight improvement or a huge jump. Another thing to consider would be getting a few sound treatments for your room as well as pulling the speakers out from the wall some, if possible. That might be a bigger 'bang for buck' upgrade.
    Got it Nate, thanks for your comments!

Guess I'm really looking for S1 NrT to S2 upgrade comparisons, and would it be a substantial or just a slight improvement.

Unfortunately in my 90sf "music room", if I move the right speaker out another 1-2" from the 9' wall, I'm at greater risk of it getting knocked over too easily (room entry way foyer is in that right corner).

Fortunately, I can not detect any room nodes or dead spots, All sounds pretty darn clear, uncluttered, defined, balanced, tight and very extended on extreme highs and lows. However, I have never used room treatments and any suggestions \ info on products that could possible improve the sound that I do have would be appreciated!

Thanks,

Ted
    Last edited by theophile; 03-06-2016 at 03:55 PM.

I'm currently contemplating upgrading my L/C/R Sierra-1 NrTs to Sierra-2s (or maybe even the towers with RAAL + Sierra 2 center).

I think the main improvement would be somewhat better detail afforded by the RAAL tweeter and perhaps a bit better detail in the mids with the new SEAS woofer. As far as voicing (ie, how forward or laid back), I think they are somewhere in the middle of the Sierra 1 and 1 Nrt.

From what I have been able to glean, a quick summary on the differences between the Sierra options are that the original 1s were voiced a bit toward the laid back of neutral, producing a bit more of a warmer, smooth/lush sound. The NrTs were voiced a bit on the forward side, providing a bit more energy to the mid treble and treble. The Sierra-2s are purportedly somewhere in between (ie, the most neutrally-voiced Sierra Ascend has made.)

Note that the above are in relative terms. I consider both the Sierra 1 and 1 NrT to be fairly neutral speakers.

In contrast to Nate, I did the upgrade from Sierra-1 to Nrt. I found that for HT, rock and higher energy acoustic music, the NrTs were a bit more lively and dynamic sounding. However, for most classical and mellow acoustic/jazz, etc (particularly strings and horns) the more laid back voicing of the original Sierras were probably a bit more appealing due to the slightly smoother treble. I am inferring from what I've read that the Sierra-2 is as close to a "best of both worlds" as you can get, the less forward voicing of the Sierra-2 relative to the NrT made up for by the improved resolving/detail of the RAAL.

Unfortunately, I don't think anyone can tell you if the difference is worth it to you. Most probably can't even tell you objectively if the difference was truly worth the cost to them due to confirmation bias, etc... On the other hand, if you don't "upgrade" then you'll never know.
    Last edited by cynan; 03-11-2016 at 12:12 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by cynan View Post
    I'm currently contemplating upgrading my L/C/R Sierra-1 NrTs to Sierra-2s (or maybe even the towers with RAAL + Sierra 2 center).

I think the main improvement would be somewhat better detail afforded by the RAAL tweeter and perhaps a bit better detail in the mids with the new SEAS woofer. As far as voicing (ie, how forward or laid back), I think they are somewhere in the middle of the Sierra 1 and 1 Nrt.

From what I have been able to glean, a quick summary on the differences between the Sierra options are that the original 1s were voiced a bit toward the laid back of neutral, producing a bit more of a warmer, smooth/lush sound. The NrTs were voiced a bit on the forward side, providing a bit more energy to the mid treble and treble. The Sierra-2s are purportedly somewhere in between (ie, the most neutrally-voiced Sierra Ascend has made.)

Note that the above are in relative terms. I consider both the Sierra 1 and 1 NrT to be fairly neutral speakers.

In contrast to Nate, I did the upgrade from Sierra-1 to Nrt. I found that for HT, rock and higher energy acoustic music, the NrTs were a bit more lively and dynamic sounding. However, for most classical and mellow acoustic/jazz, etc (particularly strings and horns) the more laid back voicing of the original Sierras were probably a bit more appealing due to the slightly smoother treble. I am inferring from what I've read that the Sierra-2 is as close to a "best of both worlds" as you can get, the less forward voicing of the Sierra-2 relative to the NrT made up for by the improved resolving/detail of the RAAL.

Unfortunately, I don't think anyone can tell you if the difference is worth it to you. Most probably can't even tell you objectively if the difference was truly worth the cost to them due to confirmation bias, etc... On the other hand, if you don't "upgrade" then you'll never know.
    Thanks for your comments Cynan!

Seems you and I are in a similar boat, so to speak. I did get to talk with Dave and his take on a S1 NrT to S2 upgrade was very close to yours. Voicing between the S1 and S1 NrT, but with wider, more focused imaging, deeper sound stage and a more effortless top end \ midrange that is extremely natural. When I do pull the plug on the S2's, I'll keep the S1 NrT's for a direct (in-my-room) comparison and report where I'll go from there (either return the S2's or sell the S1 NrT's).

I Love the Gloss Dark Cherry finish of my S1's, just wish the S2's were still available in that finish. Oh well, the #1 goal is the same and achievavble, get the best 2-channel audio out of my recordings...is it Live or is it Memorex (now I'm telling my age)!

Ted

As someone who has had them all, let me sum it up like this:

The Sierra-1's are excellent in their own right. The NrT upgrade "Enhanced" them by creating more detail and air in the treble, while pushing the mids more to the front. The highs from the NrT dome never seemed to compress dynamically or lose composure. I was not sure that they could be significantly improved upon by the RAAL, but I was really wanting to experience what the reports were saying about the realism, super detailed without any harshness and imaging the RAALs could provide.

When I first started listening to the -2 upgraded Sierra's I had to concentrate on the sound. The highs "appeared" to have less energy and sparkle than the NrT's. After a few tracks of music I was familiar with it became obvious what was going on. While the highs seemed to lack those qualities, the fact is that they were giving me all, and more of, the detail of the NrT's yet did not impart any added flavor. They sounded so lifelike that you really have to wrap your brain around the sound at first. I have always had dome tweeter speakers so this was a whole new experience.

The other half of the Sierra-2 equation is the new SEAS woofer. Working together with the RAAL is a thing of sonic beauty.

I know the differences tend to get downplayed somewhat, but if the NrT can be called an "Enhancement" to the -1's, the -2's are in another league!
    Ed

* Sierra-2EX's W/V2 crossover upgrade
    * (2) Rythmik F12's
    * Parasound Halo P6
    * Audio by Van Alstine DVA-M225 Monoblock Amps
    * MiniDSP 2x4HD For Sub calibration
    *World's Best Cables Canare 4S11 speaker cables

Thanks for your comments Cynan!

Seems you and I are in a similar boat, so to speak. I did get to talk with Dave and his take on a S1 NrT to S2 upgrade was very close to yours. Voicing between the S1 and S1 NrT, but with wider, more focused imaging, deeper sound stage and a more effortless top end \ midrange that is extremely natural. When I do pull the plug on the S2's, I'll keep the S1 NrT's for a direct (in-my-room) comparison and report where I'll go from there (either return the S2's or sell the S1 NrT's).

I Love the Gloss Dark Cherry finish of my S1's, just wish the S2's were still available in that finish. Oh well, the #1 goal is the same and achievavble, get the best 2-channel audio out of my recordings...is it Live or is it Memorex (now I'm telling my age)!

Ted
    What about buying two of the Sierra-2 upgrade kits? That way you can keep the cabinets you like. Install the kit in just one speaker to start so you can easily switch back and forth from NRT to S-2. If you don't love the S-2 upgrade, return shipping would be a lot less for just the kits.
    Nate