Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: S-1 NrT's or S-2 ?!

Default Re: S-1 NrT's or S-2 ?!

Quote Originally Posted by natetg57 View Post
    What about buying two of the Sierra-2 upgrade kits? That way you can keep the cabinets you like. Install the kit in just one speaker to start so you can easily switch back and forth from NRT to S-2. If you don't love the S-2 upgrade, return shipping would be a lot less for just the kits.
    Thought of this Nate. Although I really like the Gloss DC finish, the Satin DC still looks real nice and if I'm going to go with the S2's, want a full OEM warranty (my S1's only have 2 years left). Besides with my luck, I'd mess up the gloss finish when changing out the components!

Ted
    Sierra RAAL V2 Towers, Axiom EP 500 Sub, Morrow SP7 Grand Reference Speaker Cables, Phillips CD880 XLR Balanced Variable Line Output to Orchard Audio Strakrimson 375w/per ch Stereo Ultra GaNFET Amp..... (Dedicated 2.1 Acoustical Music Listening Room)!

Thumbs up Re: S-1 NrT's or S-2 ?!

Quote Originally Posted by Mag_Neato View Post
    As someone who has had them all, let me sum it up like this:

The Sierra-1's are excellent in their own right. The NrT upgrade "Enhanced" them by creating more detail and air in the treble, while pushing the mids more to the front. The highs from the NrT dome never seemed to compress dynamically or lose composure. I was not sure that they could be significantly improved upon by the RAAL, but I was really wanting to experience what the reports were saying about the realism, super detailed without any harshness and imaging the RAALs could provide.

When I first started listening to the -2 upgraded Sierra's I had to concentrate on the sound. The highs "appeared" to have less energy and sparkle than the NrT's. After a few tracks of music I was familiar with it became obvious what was going on. While the highs seemed to lack those qualities, the fact is that they were giving me all, and more of, the detail of the NrT's yet did not impart any added flavor. They sounded so lifelike that you really have to wrap your brain around the sound at first. I have always had dome tweeter speakers so this was a whole new experience.

The other half of the Sierra-2 equation is the new SEAS woofer. Working together with the RAAL is a thing of sonic beauty.

I know the differences tend to get downplayed somewhat, but if the NrT can be called an "Enhancement" to the -1's, the -2's are in another league!
    Ed,

Thanks, just the first hand experience details I was looking for!

I too have always owned\used and have been satisfied with domes (aka: ADS 1290 Series II Studio Monitors). My S1 NrT's are such a startling improvement in "Any Dome System" I've ever heard, that I still can't imagine the S2's being in another league, but don't doubt they are.

Unless the world ends tomorrow, I'll be auditioning the Sierra 2 RAAL\Seas Monitors in my own intimate 90sf music room. I've a strong feeling that I'll be offering my S1 NrT's for sale to a good home, at a great price!!

Ted
    Sierra RAAL V2 Towers, Axiom EP 500 Sub, Morrow SP7 Grand Reference Speaker Cables, Phillips CD880 XLR Balanced Variable Line Output to Orchard Audio Strakrimson 375w/per ch Stereo Ultra GaNFET Amp..... (Dedicated 2.1 Acoustical Music Listening Room)!

Quote Originally Posted by Mag_Neato View Post
    As someone who has had them all, let me sum it up like this:

The Sierra-1's are excellent in their own right. The NrT upgrade "Enhanced" them by creating more detail and air in the treble, while pushing the mids more to the front. The highs from the NrT dome never seemed to compress dynamically or lose composure. I was not sure that they could be significantly improved upon by the RAAL, but I was really wanting to experience what the reports were saying about the realism, super detailed without any harshness and imaging the RAALs could provide.

When I first started listening to the -2 upgraded Sierra's I had to concentrate on the sound. The highs "appeared" to have less energy and sparkle than the NrT's. After a few tracks of music I was familiar with it became obvious what was going on. While the highs seemed to lack those qualities, the fact is that they were giving me all, and more of, the detail of the NrT's yet did not impart any added flavor. They sounded so lifelike that you really have to wrap your brain around the sound at first. I have always had dome tweeter speakers so this was a whole new experience.

The other half of the Sierra-2 equation is the new SEAS woofer. Working together with the RAAL is a thing of sonic beauty.

I know the differences tend to get downplayed somewhat, but if the NrT can be called an "Enhancement" to the -1's, the -2's are in another league!
    I'm pretty much in agreement with Mag on this.

Interesting Sierra 1 NrT development HERE ...S2's In-the-House purchase may have to wait after out vacation in June!?

Ted

Exclamation Re: S-1 NrT's or S-2 ?!

With the Memorial day B-stock sale, I ordered and received the Sierra-2's in PB in early June. The exterior box displayed typical shipping handling wear, but internal box and cabinets were in great shape. As others have stated, a quick look over created the question, were these really B-stock cabinets, they look fantastic. A closer examination with an angled bright light reveled an extremely light scratch on the top of each cabinet and a very light scuff mark on the bottom of each cabinet, all totally invisible with normal room lighting. Cosmetically, I'd consider these perfect and a great value!

I invested around 50 hours of break-in time and listening in my intimate music room. I did find the S2 RAAL's had to be aimed forward in the vertical plane for the top end\midrange to open up properly (limited vertical dispersion). Sitting level on my non-adjustable tubular 31" metal stands, I was loosing too much treble as the woofers were closer to my ear level. I ended up achieving optimum listening with the S2's atop isolation pads that angled them down 4 degrees, bringing the RAAL's into ear alignment, opening up the top end very nicely. 25" to 28" stands would have placed leveled S2 RAAL's for optimum tweeter listening positions, but these stands are what I was had to work with. As with the S1 Nrt's, to achieve the most coherent holographic center image along with the widest and deepest soundstage, no toe in was needed (spaced 6ft apart).

With a host of well recorded musical genre (vocals, orchestra, jazz ensembles, etc.) in my listening environment (9'x10'x11'), and with my auditory experiences and hearing capabilities, I believe I came away with an accurate assessment of their musical prowess (for me). Firstly, congrats to Dave in creating one of the most natural transducer reproduction systems I've ever heard. From their excellent bass through their ultrasonic top end, balance, coherency and imaging are supreme and after looking at the included response curves after these extended listening sessions, I can understand why...an almost ruler flat FR from 200 to 30K hz! They offer an extremely smooth, delicate and effortless presentation that is Always Musical. At less than comfortable playback levels, the S2's hold their composure very well while handling dynamical peaks with ease. Overall, I consider the S2's to be one of the most accurate monitors in the audio marketplace, competing with bookshelf's costing 5 to 10x more on the retail market, truly a great achievement!!

Then why did I request an RA# for these auditory jewels? I have found that my music room acoustics (pretty dead), my listening taste (natural ambient recordings), my hearing capabilities (or lack there of) and possibly my dome dispersion preferences all combine to create greater pin-point imaging, a deeper and wider sound-stage and most importantly, a more natural 3D Open Holographic Auditory Image (equal with eyes closed Or wide open) when listening with the Sierra 1 NrT's! Even though the NrT's have dips (@400hz) and peaks (@2.3K and 14K) and are not ruler flat, their FR anomalies seem to compensate my room and hearing deficiencies to create a very wide and deep sound-stage that better presents the ultimate illusion of Live Emotional & Involving Music. The increase in realism is close between the two Sierra's, however for me in my particular music room, the S1 NrT's clearly are more open and present the most Natural Timbre of vocals, strings and instruments that I have ever heard!!! Having the musical education, teaching and exposure of live performances, I feel I have a very keen and sensitive feeling for the naturalness in recorded music. The Sierra 2's are simply a phenomenal and accurate transducer that I feel under most other environments and with other listeners and music, certainly could have the edge over the Sierra 1 NrT's...just not for me at this time and in my space.

I greatly appreciate this opportunity from Dave and AA to audition the Sierra 2's with my music and in my environment. Also thanks to all the members who added their thoughts and experiences to assist me in getting the Sierra 2's in-the-house. The AA business model is truly a win\win scenario for all of us music lovers!

Ted