Thread: Hdcp=bohica

Default Hdcp=bohica

I am choosing components for our new Home Theater/Music system.
    I must be a little behind here because I just discovered HDCP and what it means for me.
    Apparently, All of my new video component chain will need to be compatible with HDCP to display
    future Ultra HD content. This means our Monitor, Disc Player, Streamer, Pre-Pro, Wires, etc. This increases the price by a large factor.

I have found a work around by using an HDMI stripper, but its only a Band-Aid, and I'm not sure if it will pass Ultra HD through.

HDCP is made to favor the content providers and has already been hacked. The equipment manufacturers make huge money, and the consumer gets shafted.. Why do we put up with these scams?

I would like to hear thoughts from the more evolved members, so...

Blutarsky

Default Re: Hdcp=bohica

I know this is an old one, but I'm bored at work, so...

HDCP 2.2 is just adding a handshake between the player and the display/receiver. It's an added anti-piracy measure, but also makes sure that everyone is paying for licensing, so it helps them out more than anything. The only thing it changes is the player and display, no other hardware needs to change, except maybe your receiver if you don't have two outputs on your player (most of the new ones do).

Yes, a lot of people have worked around it by using the Fury or another splitter to send the new fancy video signal to their display and send audio (which isn't any different from the other formats) to their receiver.

Some amount of this kind of stuff is always going to be required for new formats depending on how the licensing for that format is done. Because there are so many players in the 4K and UHD arena right now, there has to be some kind of digital handshake so that all of the encoding can be done properly. I really don't like how many different formats there are now, but with how companies refuse to play nice with each other and combine technology, there's no other way. At least with UHD they are starting to get on the same page and hopefully, eventually, something will win over the others and there will be less confusion.

For now, I'm totally fine with 1080p so I don't plan on upgrading for a couple of years. My next upgrade will be my surrounds, then a 7 channel amp and surround height speakers. After that, maybe in several years, I'd consider going down the UHD route if there's enough content out there.

I am happy with 1080p too. Still, I want to be able to watch the new high zoot Ultra HD for certain content to get the wow factor.

Quote Originally Posted by Blutarsky View Post
    I am happy with 1080p too. Still, I want to be able to watch the new high zoot Ultra HD for certain content to get the wow factor.
    By far the best way to do that is to buy a UHD Blu-Ray player with two HDMI outputs and send sound through the Non HDCP 2.2 output and video through one that does support HDCP 2.2. The new Samsung players have that.

I'm waiting for the new OPPO. I hope to be future proofed until the holographic era.

Quote Originally Posted by Blutarsky View Post
    I'm waiting for the new OPPO. I hope to be future proofed until the holographic era.
    Hahaha, yep, I'm in the same boat, and it better do everything for some years or both of us are going to be even more sour in a few years.